RF vs 2B - Where to Invest?

Chicago White Sox

Alright guys, so as I’ve been reading through offseason proposals here and on SoxMachine, one thing that’s obviously clear is that is will be challenging to make sizable investments in both RF & 2B.  As such, if we only have the budget to make one sizable addition to the offense, which position would you prefer making a large, multi-year commitment to?

For me, I think the answer is hands-down RF.  First & foremost, 2B is generally easier to fill in free agency than corner OF spots.  Second, I think Jose Rodriguez has a much better chance of securing the long-term 2B spot in the next couple of years than any of our internal options for RF.

Furthermore, when I look at free agency, it just feels like Conforto is a perfect fit for what this team needs.  I have always loved Semien and would be ecstatic if we got him, but I’ll take the lefty bat with against an incredible track record against RHP all day everyday.

• Like 3

Find a high flight RF.  At that point lock down Leury to a decent deal. See what you can pick out of the 2B market with who is left over or willing to come cheap.  Heck, see if you can get a discount on Cesar and catch his rebound year. Then figure out how to refresh then pen and upgrade the rotation depth.

Devil's advocate. In the spirit of this thread, I'd say 2b. Here's why. I think a top-tier 2b (Merrifield/Semien/Story) with a platoon of Sheets/Engel/Vaughn in RF will give better production than Conforto/Castellanos and Leury/Hernandez/etc. Just my two cents.

• Like 2

Here’s a hairball idea that I haven’t seen thrown around yet…

Sign Kyle Segar to play second

Conforto to play right

Decline Kimbrel

Trade Dallas in a salary dump

Outlook:

Starting pitchers

Giolito

Lynn

Cease

Kopech

Rodon ( if QO is accepted )

Lopez / + Depth FA signing

Lineup:

SS - Anderson

RF - Conforto

1B - Abreu

CF - Robert

LF - Eloy

2B - Segar

3B - Moncada

DH - Vaughn / Sheets

Edited by hi8is

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

2nd Base. 

There are bodies you already have that can put on an OF glove and perhaps surprise you.   

There is nothing down in the farm for middle infield. 

Romy Gonzalez is a highly athletic 25 year old who just put a 136 wRC+ / .856 OPS in AA, the latter of which led the AA South League I believe.  He’s a bit of a wild card no doubt, but gives me some Adam Engel vibes as a late bloomer but unlike Adam he can play SS & 2B.

Jose Rodriguez is a 20 year with average or above tools across the board.  Kid hit his way to AA after starting the year in Low A.  He hit 14 HRs, swiped 20 bases, and overall displayed an excellent hit tool for someone his age.  He’s got everyday potential and could be ready as soon as OD 2023 if he can build off his momentum this year.

We also have Lenyn Sosa and Yogurt Sanchez, both of whom have some ability.  Neither profiles as an everyday guy, but either could end up as role players for us.

Unless you’re willing to seriously sacrifice your outfield defense, I’m not sure we can survive with Eloy in LF and Vaughn or Sheets in RF.  Engel is a nice little player, but we need to treat him like a 4th OF who is likely going to miss part of the season each year.  And I’ll keep saying it, but Cespedes has a ton to prove before we pass on a guy like Conforto.

21 minutes ago, buckweaver said:

Devil's advocate. In the spirit of this thread, I'd say 2b. Here's why. I think a top-tier 2b (Merrifield/Semien/Story) with a platoon of Sheets/Engel/Vaughn in RF will give better production than Conforto/Castellanos and Leury/Hernandez/etc. Just my two cents.

Merrifield would require trade capital and is in a decline...divisional rival, one of Royals' fans 2-3 favorite players, not elite at second, limited control, just don't see it happening.

Story is a big name but an objective analysis of numbers say no.. especially with a position change to top it off.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Romy Gonzalez is a highly athletic 25 year old who just put a 136 wRC+ / .856 OPS in AA, the latter of which led the AA South League I believe.  He’s a bit of a wild card no doubt, but gives me some Adam Engel vibes as a late bloomer but unlike Adam he can play SS & 2B.

Jose Rodriguez is a 20 year with average or above tools across the board.  Kid hit his way to AA after starting the year in Low A.  He hit 14 HRs, swiped 20 bases, and overall displayed an excellent hit tool for someone his age.  He’s got everyday potential and could be ready as soon as OD 2023 if he can build off his momentum this year.

We also have Lenyn Sosa and Yogurt Sanchez, both of whom have some ability.  Neither profiles as an everyday guy, but either could end up as role players for us.

Unless you’re willing to seriously sacrifice your outfield defense, I’m not sure we can survive with Eloy in LF and Vaughn or Sheets in RF.  Engel is a nice little player, but we need to treat him like a 4th OF who is likely going to miss part of the season each year.  And I’ll keep saying it, but Cespedes has a ton to prove before we pass on a guy like Conforto.

The problem is neither of those two guys are likely to hit any type of MLB comfort zone or stride until 2024 or later.  It's all basically projection at this point.  Just as much if not more so with Cespedes and Colas.

Romy maybe you give him a shot and adjust at the deadline if you fixed RF at least...with Leury as obvious backup or fallback option to muddle through.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The problem is neither of those two guys are likely to hit any type of MLB comfort zone or stride until 2024 or later.  It's all basically projection at this point.  Just as much if not more so with Cespedes and Colas.

Romy maybe you give him a shot and adjust at the deadline if you fixed RF at least...with Leury as obvious backup or fallback option to muddle through.

I’m not suggesting we go into the year with either guy, but just saying there are two guys who should be ready in the next two years with potential everyday ceilings.  As such, I’d prioritize signing someone like Conforto for RF and go the stopgap route for 2B.  And look, if Jerry is feeling extra jolly this year and wants to add an impact 2B as well, neither guy would be stop me from adding said player.  The question was strictly a hypothetical around constrained resources and what long-term choice you would make as a result.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Here’s a hairball idea that I haven’t seen thrown around yet…

Sign Kyle Segar to play second

Conforto to play right

Decline Kimbrel

Trade Dallas in a salary dump

Outlook:

Starting pitchers

Giolito

Lynn

Cease

Kopech

Rodon ( if QO is accepted )

Lopez / + Depth FA signing

Lineup:

SS - Anderson

RF - Conforto

1B - Abreu

CF - Robert

LF - Eloy

2B - Segar

3B - Moncada

DH - Vaughn / Sheets

Kyle Seager is a 3b. He doesn't have the range to play 2b especially at his age.