RF vs 2B - Where to Invest?

Chicago White Sox

This is not an “or” question. A competitive playoff bound team should find a way to get these teo positions confidently secured. 

Look at how cheap quality ofrs can come. Look at the plethora of MI options available via free agency or trade

i demand both

Edited by iWiN4PreP

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Seager is the clear #1 FA out of these 3 imo.. But I believe he'd be the most expensive, no? I think Conforto is the most realistic get, and I'd be ecstatic.  If we did actually sign one of them, I believe whoever it is, slots in at #5 in the lineup imo.  Cannot move Robert out of 2, they won't move Abreu out of 3 and Eloy should regain #4 (he's going to be the best hitter on the team).

I agree, and I'd be happy with any of the three.  But Conforto is getting talked up so much around here that I'm legitimately curious whether some see him as our true "#1 target" in any scenario, rather than our "realistic #1 target given embedded assumptions about budget."  I assume most fans would prefer Semien or Seager at 2b to Conforto in RF in a perfect world, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

3 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I agree, and I'd be happy with any of the three.  But Conforto is getting talked up so much around here that I'm legitimately curious whether some see him as our true "#1 target" in any scenario, rather than our "realistic #1 target given embedded assumptions about budget."  I assume most fans would prefer Semien or Seager at 2b to Conforto in RF in a perfect world, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

I do think a left handed bat is a priority, which drops Marcus down somewhat, same effect on Taylor who would otherwise be a great fit for depth. But either way, not having a player bust would still be a higher priority.

Would Ketel Marte be an above average defensive RF?  I believe so.

I'd trade Vaughn + for him if possible.  Then sign a second basemen (take your pick based on how much you think Jerry's budget is).  Escobar seems the most likely.

Then let Engel play RF vs LHP and mix and match Marte all over the diamond.  Ketel would provide depth virtually everywhere and with 3 years remaining, his money would be coming off the books just as our core gets expensive and/or hits free agency.  He is just too perfect of a fit if you can acquire him for a price anywhere near his proper value and offload some of our 1B/DH backlog.  

Conforto is very enticing and seemingly still has upside remaining but I'd really hate to hinge our entire offseason on giving up a pick for the right to outbid half of the league for him. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

This is not an “or” question. A competitive playoff bound team should find a way to get these teo positions confidently secured. 

Look at how cheap quality ofrs can come. Look at the plethora of MI options available via free agency or trade

i demand both

Posts like this are cute.  You don't have to have a level of power to "demand" anything.  If you don't, it's just a temper tantrum. 

2 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

i demand both

You demand but fail to operate under the reality of an operating budget.

2 hours ago, GREEDY said:

Would Ketel Marte be an above average defensive RF?  I believe so.

I'd trade Vaughn + for him if possible.  Then sign a second basemen (take your pick based on how much you think Jerry's budget is).  Escobar seems the most likely.

Then let Engel play RF vs LHP and mix and match Marte all over the diamond.  Ketel would provide depth virtually everywhere and with 3 years remaining, his money would be coming off the books just as our core gets expensive and/or hits free agency.  He is just too perfect of a fit if you can acquire him for a price anywhere near his proper value and offload some of our 1B/DH backlog.  

Conforto is very enticing and seemingly still has upside remaining but I'd really hate to hinge our entire offseason on giving up a pick for the right to outbid half of the league for him. 

Trade for Marte for 2B and then sign Conforto for RF.

41 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

So does that make Collins surplus to requirements? 

AAA backup. Make it another spring training competition. If Zach shows improvement he gets the backup spot until the deadline with Zeby in Charlotte or viscera.

The Sox will hopefully do better than my poop ideas. Usually I’m pretty opinionated about and dive deep into off-season options… hasn’t happened this year yet.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You demand but fail to operate under the reality of an operating budget.

Sorry but that’s just bs. It doesn’t cost much to fill these holes. Look what atl did with their outfield. So many other MI options were available at deadline yet we get cesar. Just don’t make bad decisions 

11 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Why would you choose Colorado over the White Sox at this point in time.  That org is a dumpster fire right now 

It is but according to their FO, Rockies have big money to spend in 22 .  Hopefully money is not what moves Conforto the most.