Where could Kimbrel be traded, and for what?

caulfield12

11 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

While I am good with Segura at this point, I'm just not sure why the Phillies have to send more back for Kimbrel unless it is a bigger deal or we are sending cash. Just my 2 cents.

It's about actual cost versus market cost. So Kimbrel costs $16m and is worth $16m in the market (based on what Inglesias signed for), so he's break even. Segura costs $12m but is worth say $8m in the market based on what Hernandez signed for, so there is a $4m deficit that the Phillies have to make up in the form of cash and or prospects.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, striker said:

It's about actual cost versus market cost. So Kimbrel costs $16m and is worth $16m in the market (based on what Inglesias signed for), so he's break even. Segura costs $12m but is worth say $8m in the market based on what Hernandez signed for, so there is a $4m deficit that the Phillies have to make up in the form of cash and or prospects.

Craig Kimbrel is just not worth $16 million in this market.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And IMO - he’s worth $16 million to Rick Hahn, but to no one else.

1/16 has a lot less risk to compared to something like 3/40, which is probably on the lower end. Above average closers are looking for multi year deals with fairly high AAVs. Teams might not want to deal with that on the open market to acquire one for next season. Not even sure what closers are still available as FA, but I don’t believe there’s many which means teams will probably have to overspend in a bidding war.

2 minutes ago, Whisox05 said:

In what line of business do you go to the guy who is doing a great job (Hendriks) and tell him that this other guy (KImbrel) can't do his job so we are giving him your job?  I for one do not want Kimbrel as the White Sox closer....I want to see his ass traded.  That is Rich Hahn's job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, wegner said:

In what line of business do you go to the guy who is doing a great job (Hendriks) and tell him that this other guy (KImbrel) can't do his job so we are giving him your job?  I for one do not want Kimbrel as the White Sox closer....I want to see his ass traded.  That is Rich Hahn's job.

Hypothetical: they cant find a taker...do you:

A. Keep hendricks as a great closer and have a horrible set up man in Kimbrel which destroys any tradability come July 

Or

B. Make Kimbrel the closer and if successful have the best setup / jam man in baseball (hendricks can work in any spot imo) and use Kimbrel as a great trade piece come July to use for whatever need the sox have.

I know it sucks to do that to Hendricks...but I cant see A benefitting the team in any way. 

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

Hypothetical: they cant find a taker...do you:

A. Keep hendricks as a great closer and have a horrible set up man in Kimbrel which destroys any tradability come July 

Or

B. Make Kimbrel the closer and if successful have the best setup / jam man in baseball (hendricks can work in any spot imo) and use Kimbrel as a great trade piece come July to use for whatever need the sox have.

I know it sucks to do that to Hendricks...but I cant see A benefitting the team in any way. 

If they can't find taker, that sucks.  But if they can't, I truly do see your point that they have backed themselves into the corner of needing to do option B.  However, I do not think the White Sox had any intention of keeping Kimbrel when they accepted that $16 million option, so it will be a monumental failure by the front office if they cannot trade him.  The statement from Hahn is probably just more unnecessary posturing by Hahn.  If the Phillies, etc want him, they will make an offer.

18 minutes ago, wegner said:

It happens a lot more than you think.

8 minutes ago, wegner said:

If they can't find taker, that sucks.  But if they can't, I truly do see your point that they have backed themselves into the corner of needing to do option B.  However, I do not think the White Sox had any intention of keeping Kimbrel when they accepted that $16 million option, so it will be a monumental failure by the front office if they cannot trade him.  The statement from Hahn is probably just more unnecessary posturing by Hahn.  If the Phillies, etc want him, they will make an offer.

Agreed completely. What a horrible trade that came out to be...and I was a supporter of it big time. Really hope the CBA creates some favorable contract increases so that 16 mil number seems reasonable

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Craig Kimbrel is just not worth $16 million in this market.

He could be worth whatever’s left on his contract around the trade deadline anyway. But the Sox aren’t going to maximize him in a role in order to do that. Quite frankly all they can do is kill whatever remaining value he has by keeping him around, and I think they know that, which is why he is on the block.