2022 Offseason Plan Thread

Chicago White Sox

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d be 100% cool with that if that means Vaughn is trading for a legit TOR starter.  Just not sure who fits that bill.

Maybe in a trade with Oakland or Cincinnati for Bassitt or Gray/Castillo. It would probably take more to land one of them but a possibility.

Edited by maloney.adam

9 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Offensively he is, defensively he absolutely is not. The Sox already have too many DH types and that’s exactly what Schwarber is.

Yes but he will be hidden at DH half the time. 

This is what could work:

A. Trade Kimbrel for prospects only to save money. 

B. Take said prospects and maybe add a few others, ship to LAD for Lux.

C. Sign Conforto (RF) AND Schwarber (LF/DH rotation with Eloy).

D. Trade Vaughn for top flight pitching (I don't want to lose him but it seems JR and TLR are pushing all the chips in into the middle for the next few years.

E. PROFIT.

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

Maybe in a trade with Oak or Cin for Bassitt or Gray/Castillo. It would probably take more to land one of them but a possibility.

Vaughn would be a massive overpay for one year of Bassitt.  Honestly, not sure I’d be overly excited to give up Vaughn+ for two years of Gray or Castillo.

• Like 1

Just now, maloney.adam said:

Maybe in a trade with Oak or Cin for Bassitt or Gray/Castillo. It would probably take more to land one of them but a possibility.

Bassitt wouldn’t take more than Vaughn… we’d likely want a young arm for our bullpen added, I would think actually.

For Castillo ( who is now rumored to not be available ) - yes, we’d need to send more.

We make Vaughn available and we’d find a taker for a young starting pitcher who fits the bill.

I know people aren’t going to like it if one of Vaughn or Eloy is traded but we’re too right handed heavy right now and we need to give up something to get something. A team with WS aspirations shouldn’t be attached to rookie prospects or players that have been on the team for a few years if it means getting something that will help them win now. 

Edited by maloney.adam

14 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Yes but they are too right handed. We could use some LH power. They should trade either Vaughn or Eloy.

Despite the Sox being too right handed, I have no interest in trading either of them unless a stud SP or RF with multiple years of control can be had. And honestly I’m not sure who even falls into that category. Ketel Marte and Bryan Reynolds on the hitting side maybe.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Vaughn would be a massive overpay for one year of Bassitt.  Honestly, not sure I’d be overly excited to give up Vaughn+ for two years of Gray or Castillo.

If in any trade a simple one for one of Vaughn for player, its a good sign I wouldn't make that trade.

Vaughn + for like...? I don't even know. The guys last year are clearly not available. DeGrom ain't coming up. Pablo Lopez? Gallen?

Glasnow maybe I'd have done but not for a partial 2022.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Vaughn for Bassitt or Gray/Castillo would be very disappointing.  I don't think we have enough to get either without him, but talk about going all in on the next 2 years and shortening this window. If that's the plan, there is a surefire way to do it! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2022 is Abreu's last year. Vaughn takes over at 1B then, with Sheets the backup 1B/LF/RF against righties (or the Sox cash in on a high note and trade him now). If you trade Vaughn now you have a big hole at 1B and Sheets frankly doesn't have near the potential Vaughn has. Also, signing a likely worse free agent 1B to a bigger deal than Vaughn's pre-arb numbers doesn't make sense.

The Sox would be stupid to trade Vaughn. Use Kimbrel, Burger, Sheets as your main upper-level trade pieces and see what you can do. Supplement the rest of the team with free agents.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Unpopular take, but I think Eloy has a higher defensive ceiling than Vaughn, but a much lower floor and is a risk to himself if he doesn’t radically change how he handles plays around the outfield walls and sidelines.

This is my take too. It doesn't help if Eloy hurts himself for long periods of time.

I'm tired of hearing about different ideas for trading key assets for another third starter.  Generic "rotation depth" is not a top need.  I mean, we could use it like all teams could use it, but it's not a priority for this team.  We need a TOR starter who can take the mound in key playoff games.  We should buy one, but if we can't I'm not interested in gutting our team to get just another dude.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I know people aren’t going to like it if one of Vaughn or Eloy is traded but we’re too right handed heavy right now and we need to give up something to get something. A team with WS aspirations shouldn’t be attached to rookie prospects or players that have been on the team for a few years if it means getting something that will help them win now. 

Some of us want to be good for the next 5-7 years, not push all the chips in right now and suck balls again in 24.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

May will be ready when we'd need him (playoffs) Why trade Vaughn for a pitcher who will shorten the window?

Your plan is to trade Vaughn for a guy coming off TJS in hopes he will be a weapon in the playoffs and bank on getting enough innings from Kopech, Keuchel, & Lopez in the #4 & #5 spots (without Dallas pitching enough for his option to vest) to actually get there?  Doesn’t make a ton of sense to me.

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Your plan is to trade Vaughn for a guy coming off TJS in hopes he will be a weapon in the playoffs and bank on getting enough innings from Kopech, Keuchel, & Lopez in the #4 & #5 spots (without Dallas pitching enough for his option to vest) to actually get there?  Doesn’t make a ton of sense to me.

My plan if we had to trade Vaughn would be to get many years of control back, not a Bassit/Gray who have 1/2 years.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Some of us want to be good for the next 5-7 years, not push all the chips in right now and suck balls again in 24.  

I like that we can see the identity of people who "laugh" at posts now.  Like, someone "laughed" at the post quoted above -- they looked at this post and thought to themselves, "this person wants the Sox to be good for 5 years rather than two.  That is hilarious!  I think it's funny to want to be good for a long time, rather than a short time.  In fact, I need to show everyone I think so.  Bang--done"