2022 Offseason Plan Thread

Chicago White Sox

Is there any thought to moving Moncada back to 2b? It would allow Burger to take over at 3b (not even sure he’s ready) and put the focus on finding an everyday RF and another SP arm.

I know Moncada wasn’t good defensively at 2b (and he appears to not have the right body for it anymore), but he has experience. It doesn’t seem like the remaining 2b options are great, and I can’t picture either Burger or Vaughn playing 2b.

1 minute ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Is there any thought to moving Moncada back to 2b? It would allow Burger to take over at 3b (not even sure he’s ready) and put the focus on finding an everyday RF and another SP arm.

I know Moncada wasn’t good defensively at 2b (and he appears to not have the right body for it anymore), but he has experience. It doesn’t seem like the remaining 2b options are great, and I can’t picture either Burger or Vaughn playing 2b.

Idk I have a feeling 2B will be filled via trade (in a Kimbrel deal? For Vaughn + +? Who knows). 

7 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Why weaken 3B for a lesser player?  Leave Moncada at 3rd. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

One thing I’m not looking forward to if the Sox do nothing today is the arrogant tweets by Stoney about how much Jerry has already spent on the team and the real additions will be the health of the main guys for a full year 

Yep. And something about how they can add at trade deadline if needed.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

One thing I’m not looking forward to if the Sox do nothing today is the arrogant tweets by Stoney about how much Jerry has already spent on the team and the real additions will be the health of the main guys for a full year 

Aren't there 2 more days until the work stoppage? I'll wait until then to be really pissed off that we did nothing.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am just going to say this outloud.  The Sox lack of activity so far tells me that they have a heavy belief that the deals will be better after the CBA gets done and this is why they have the lack of urgency to get it done.

That's not helpful if targets are getting signed before the CBA, though. They better hope Conforto doesn't get snatched up today. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am just going to say this outloud.  The Sox lack of activity so far tells me that they have a heavy belief that the deals will be better after the CBA gets done and this is why they have the lack of urgency to get it done.

I'm pretty torn on the Sox right now. 

On one hand, I think they are in a much different situation than the Mets, Rangers, etc. who have made big splashes right now. The Sox don't really need to do that, persay. 

On the other hand, I'd be over the moon if JR and Rick said "Fuck it, this is it, go sign Max for the top of the rotation, let's figure it out after, 3 years won't kill us." 

But we know that's not how they operate. 

1 minute ago, Tony said:

I'm pretty torn on the Sox right now. 

On one hand, I think they are in a much different situation than the Mets, Rangers, etc. who have made big splashes right now. The Sox don't really need to do that, persay. 

On the other hand, I'd be over the moon if JR and Rick said "Fuck it, this is it, go sign Max for the top of the rotation, let's figure it out after, 3 years won't kill us." 

But we know that's not how they operate. 

I definitely think they are in a spot where they don't HAVE to make a splash, but damn it could have sent a message if they did.  It probably is telling to their budget that they are holding out as well.  A lot will also be answered by how and what the Kimbrel trade looks like.

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

Conforto had a .8 WAR last year.   Sheets ripped RH pitching.
Don't have enough young talent to spare for these  trades for players with 1 or 2 years left on their contracts (especially with the As).

Use free agency, please.

I don’t get what you’re trying to say in regard to Conforto & Sheets and why you’re basing everything off of 2021.  Conforto has an elite track record against RHP, Sheets does not.  Conforto can actually play a solid RF, Sheets can not.  They are remotely comparable RF options.

• Like 1

Alot of players have signed within the last week...Can someone explain to me why I should be excited about getting Conforto when it seems that other teams are not in on him?  I know very little about him and am not against the guy but just curious why he is still on the market with seemingly very little interest if he is that desirable?

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

There are many possible inferences for their lack of activity. 

You've listed one of them. Another is they totally misread the market. 

A third is they are content to play in the shallow end of the pool. 

I'm guessing some combo of 2/3 are more likely than the first.

4 minutes ago, wegner said:

Alot of players have signed within the last week...Can someone explain to me why I should be excited about getting Conforto when it seems that other teams are not in on him?  I know very little about him and am not against the guy but just curious why he is still on the market with seemingly very little interest if he is that desirable?

there are lots of players on the market though. Not sure it says anything about correa, seager,etc.

35 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Report last night was that deals needed to be agreed to today in order to be finalized by the end of the CBA.

It was the writer's opinion but not necessarily a fact.  For example...we already know a great deal about Rodon's health.  

Just now, bmags said:

there are lots of players on the market though. Not sure it says anything about correa, seager,etc.

Correa and Seagar seem to be linked to alot of teams with interest....I'm not seeing that with Conforto so that just makes me a little leery....I guess our recent lack of success in RF has me more sceptical of any moves.