Sox to talk about Semien with Boras

DirtySox

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes, the Sox will set the market in markets that have caps that are well under the amount of money Robbie Ray and Marcus Semien are going to get.

If you play a position that doesn't get 9 figure contracts the Sox are all-in on setting the market for you.

The Sox set the market for Wheeler, who plays a position that gets 9 figure contracts, with a 9 figure contract.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m hoping this is sarcasm because they 100% made the offer with hopes of him accepting it

I'm sure they wanted him, and they wanted Machado, but they didn't close either. East Coast preference for the wife, nothing they could do. Although Machado was a bit weird. The, 'we had the best offer out there, but we can't match what he signed for" line was, is, and always will be bunk.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't see what they would have gained with that. Trying is for school, and Little League. In the real world, people look at results.

They could get enough positive press that people would defend them years later using it as an example. 

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They could get enough positive press that people would defend them years later using it as an example. 

How much positive press did they get out of it? How much have the Sox gained? This isn't theoretical. It happened. 

Seems pretty risky offering someone $125 million and banking on his wife wanting to live in Philadelphia. 

To think the Sox didn't want Wheeler in a bad way is pretty crazy. In the end, all that matters is if they signed him or didn't sign him. No one except maybe JR's lackeys care about the effort.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I'm sure they wanted him, and they wanted Machado, but they didn't close either. East Coast preference for the wife, nothing they could do. Although Machado was a bit weird. The, 'we had the best offer out there, but we can't match what he signed for" line was, is, and always will be bunk.

The Machado stuff I won’t defend because their offer wasn’t very serious IMO, at least once the Padres entered the mix.  But when it comes to Wheeler, they had the highest offer on the table and lost out because of his wife’s geographical preferences.  Perhaps they could of continued outbidding themselves until they reached a price point he couldn’t say no to, but I can’t fault them for that.  Generally speaking it sets a bad negotiating precedent with agents you constantly work with.

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Don’t think he was laughing when we made that 3/$55M offer for Keuchel, although he may laughing right now

I’m sure he’s always laughing no matter what. Whether it’s a stupid offer or an over pay for one of his clients. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, beck72 said:

If Semien is the Sox #1 free agent target, improving RF with another big addition [lefty bat] should be the next item of business via trade. The Sox should look at this offseason thinking they have a two year window to win a World Series. [While they have Grandal, Jose still playing well, Lynn and Hendriks]. The Sox would still have talent to be playoff competitive past the next two years. But some risky moves should be made that make some big improvements over the 2021 Sox.

I would hope that they have far more than a 2 year window.    
4 good years after 7 years of a dog-and-pony show is no good leverage.
Capable front offices contend for far more than 4 years.
This "all in"  stuff is not something adept front offices do in order to contend.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I would hope that they have far more than a 2 year window.    
4 good years after 7 years of a dog-and-pony show is no good leverage.
Capable front offices contend for far more than 4 years.
This "all in"  stuff is not something adept front offices do in order to contend.

It's odd, multiple people, including myself have asked for your specific offseason plan since you've been heavily critical of basically everything....yet you haven't responded with specifics. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tony said:

It's odd, multiple people, including myself have asked for your specific offseason plan since you've been heavily critical of basically everything....yet you haven't responded with specifics. 

Sheesh, you think he has time to catch up on the last 10 years of baseball?

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

How much positive press did they get out of it? How much have the Sox gained? This isn't theoretical. It happened. 

Seems pretty risky offering someone $125 million and banking on his wife wanting to live in Philadelphia. 

To think the Sox didn't want Wheeler in a bad way is pretty crazy. In the end, all that matters is if they signed him or didn't sign him. No one except maybe JR's lackeys care about the effort.

How many teams run out right after a guy takes another offer to scream about what they offered him through their mouth piece?

• Quin locked this topic