James Fox: Can’t Ignor-as Boras, Sox will spend

bmags

22 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

Right now, the White Sox have the second largest payroll in the AL.  I don't have the exact number but it's north of $170 million I believe.  And this isn't taking into account the players like Lucas who are arbitration eligible who likely will receive a hefty pay increase this year.  Stop complaining the White Sox are cheap.  T

The Sox came into the offseason around $160M commited to 2021 including arb eligible guys.  They've spent $13.5M so far.  So they should be just below $175M as we stand today.  Subtract Kimbrel, and we should have $25-35M more to spend. If Kimbrel is flipped for Segura, signing Conforto would just about tap the Sox out IMO unless they're able to move another bigger salary like Keuchel.  

Edited by ChiSox59

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Sox came into the offseason around $160M commited to 2021 including arb eligible guys.  They've spent $13.5M so far.  So they should be just below $175M as we stand today.  Subtract Kimbrel, and we should have $25-35M more to spend. If Kimbrel is flipped for Segura, signing Conforto would just about tap the Sox out IMO unless they're able to move another bigger salary like Keuchel.  

Who besides Giolito is arbitration eligible?  

I think my point being is that the teams who are spending like drunken sailors are doing so because they have huge holes and are desperate..  They also have no money on the books.  I do think that if the Sox have the chance to get Schwarber, they won't pass it up.  If it pushes them to $200 million, so be it.  Iit's very possible that one of the stipulations put in place moving forward is that there be a floor for team's payrolls.  Which means we might make what qualifies for the luxury tax to be higher.  Although even when the White Sox were rebuilding, their payrolls were still somewhat high.  

Edited by Colome's Hat

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why would I want the payroll to go up 10 million dollars by signing Danny Duffy though? That's just the Sox spending on bad players to push up the payroll.

Yeah, not going down this rabbit hole with you pal.  My point should be pretty clear and I’m not suggesting we should spend our money on Duffy, just saying that’s all it would take to push us to a sizable payroll.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

6 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

I think my point being is that the teams who are spending like drunken sailors are doing so because they have huge holes and are desperate..  They also have no money on the books.  I do think that if the Sox have the chance to get Schwarber, they won't pass it up.  If it pushes them to $200 million, so be it.  Iit's very possible that one of the stipulations put in place moving forward is that there be a floor for team's payrolls.  Which means we might make what qualifies for the luxury tax to be higher.  Although even when the White Sox were rebuilding, their payrolls were still somewhat high.  

ReyLo and Engel.  All three were tendered yesterday. 

40 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

Right now, the White Sox have the second largest payroll in the AL.  I don't have the exact number but it's north of $170 million I believe.  And this isn't taking into account the players like Lucas who are arbitration eligible who likely will receive a hefty pay increase this year.  Stop complaining the White Sox are cheap.  They aren't.  The Yankees also aren't spending money right now.  The teams that are are doing it because they aren't as good as the White Sox were last year.  The White Sox have a damn good team.  The Rangers suck.  And will likely be lucky to be in Third place next year.  The White Sox will spend money but they need an upgrade, not a complete overhaul.  And their payroll, when all is said and done, will almost be north of $200 million and likely be one of the top two in the AL.

Because, given what Lucas will cost next year and also what some of the other arbitration eligible players will cost, there is just no way it won't be at $200 million or above.  They are going to be in the top 2 in payroll in the AL.  They don't have to spend money like drunken sailors.  They will get one of the big fish in free agency, just like they did last year (Liam).  But given the way the Sox operate, we likely won't find out till the day before it's done.  Mets made some big upgrades and they still don't have as good a team as the White Sox.

This argument is so damn tired and pointless I don't really know what to say anymore. The White Sox have more contracts committed than pretty much every other team too. That's why their payroll is higher in November. November payrolls are completely meaningless; people who cite it as a reason the Sox aren't cheap are exhausting.

And yes the figure you cite IS taking into account the expected Arb raises for players like Giolito. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

The Sox ranked

29th in baseball in payroll in 2018 at 72 million.
24th in 2017
26th in 2019

"Their payrolls were somewhat high." 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Sox ranked

29th in baseball in payroll in 2018 at 72 million.
24th in 2017
26th in 2019

"Their payrolls were somewhat high." 

Lol, these were the seasons that gave the team "unprecedented flexibility" as Hahn put it. It's incredibly frustrating that covid is their excuse for not using all those savings like they claimed they would. I guess there is still time for them to spend it, though. We shall see. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This argument is so damn tired and pointless I don't really know what to say anymore. The White Sox have more contracts committed than pretty much every other team too. That's why their payroll is higher in November. November payrolls are completely meaningless; people who cite it as a reason the Sox aren't cheap are exhausting.

And yes the figure you cite IS taking into account the expected Arb raises for players like Giolito. 

But even if the Sox had a top 5 payroll in April, you would not be happy if they got to that number by signing a bunch of smaller contracts. And you're not wrong. I agree with you there. I just want to point out that there are two different complaints here:

1.  The Sox won't spend and will never have a top 5 or 10 payroll.

2. The Sox won't ever sign the big names because they are afraid to dish out a big contract.

The issue for you is #2, which is definitely fair.  But I constantly see #1 being argued and discussed around here (not necessarily by you), and I don't think that's much of an issue anymore. It's pretty obvious we will have a high payroll this year (yes, I understand "high" is a relative term).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

If Kimbrel was flipped for Segura, the White Sox would be able to spend up to $17 million/year on Conforto while still remaining under the previous luxury tax line for next year. If Conforto's deal went over that, they would have to move salary. They would also be unable to add salary at the trade deadline while remaining under the tax line without moving salary. That would effectively be a 4/$68 million (and change) limit on Conforto's deal with the White Sox, or 5/$85. Of course, the tax line is likely to change somehow, but they're surprisingly close to the old one.

28 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If Kimbrel was flipped for Segura, the White Sox would be able to spend up to $17 million/year on Conforto while still remaining under the previous luxury tax line for next year. If Conforto's deal went over that, they would have to move salary. They would also be unable to add salary at the trade deadline while remaining under the tax line without moving salary. That would effectively be a 4/$68 million (and change) limit on Conforto's deal with the White Sox, or 5/$85. Of course, the tax line is likely to change somehow, but they're surprisingly close to the old one.

I suspect Segura is not in the plans anymore because of Leury (they can deny this all they want but a cheap team isn't paying 5.5m a year for a backup). I think also they may know 4/68 or 5/85 may not cut it with Conforto so they need extra money by not assuming Segura's salary. An extra 14m would go a long way to securing Conforto. There's also been some talk that PHI has similar targets to us so helping them equalize the salary obligations in the trade might be counterproductive and would look really awful if they turned around and signed our guy. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Stroman isn’t coming here. He’s said so last year he would never play for LaRussa.

saw some of the comments, but not wanting to play for grampa tony is a plus in my book. TLR is a loser at this stage of his career.

any one who thinks otherwise is probably drunk (get it?).

6 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Important to point out somewhere - right now Spotrac has the White Sox at $15.3 million below the current luxury tax line next year counting Leury. Because their contracts expand and they must pay benefits, they hit the current tax line below $190 million in payroll. If they move Kimbrel for no return under the current rules they have just over $31 million remaining to spend total, including the trade deadline. 

All true, but I’d expect the tax threshold to go up some in the new CBA.