The New Texas

Texsox

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/newest-texans-who-are-they/?utm_source=texasmonthly.com&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sharebutton

California, Illinois, and New York transplants + international + few Texans leaving = a New Texas. 

Corporations like Tesla and HP heading here. 

Once the Sox get new deep pocket owners and a new stadium in San Antonio the take over will be complete.

On 12/13/2021 at 11:22 PM, Texsox said:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/newest-texans-who-are-they/?utm_source=texasmonthly.com&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sharebutton

California, Illinois, and New York transplants + international + few Texans leaving = a New Texas. 

Corporations like Tesla and HP heading here. 

Once the Sox get new deep pocket owners and a new stadium in San Antonio the take over will be complete.

Wouldn't you think it would be more or less midway between Austin and SA?

Like Arlington, between Dallas and Fort Worth?

Of course, that would create naming issues...since "Texas" already taken by the Rangers.   Hopefully nothing to do with the Alamo.

12 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Wouldn't you think it would be more or less midway between Austin and SA?

Like Arlington, between Dallas and Fort Worth?

Of course, that would create naming issues...since "Texas" already taken by the Rangers.   Hopefully nothing to do with the Alamo.

Probably closer to SA. I'm guessing a team moving would be more likely than expansion. 

7 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

If you want to talk real punishment for the Astros cheating scandal, letting a team relocate to Austin or SA would be justice served.

They might chirp a bit but there’s not a ton of people heading to Houston from Austin on game nights. Having a rival might help create interest as much as hurt through a little loss of TV eyes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

They might chirp a bit but there’s not a ton of people heading to Houston from Austin on game nights. Having a rival might help create interest as much as hurt through a little loss of TV eyes.

Houston to San Antonio is almost 200 miles. About twice the distance as Chicago to Milwaukee.

5 hours ago, Texsox said:

Texas triangle. Works in basketball. 

That's the interesting thing, because non-Texans think of it as more of a football state.

Then again, with the all the Friday night and Saturday college games...and then the NFL having Sundays, Mondays and Thursdays now, there's bordering on too much football.

(Surely, those words are sacrilegious.)

SA and Nashville (to me) have always seemed like more viable minor league markets for baseball, but who knows.  Charlotte (of the southern cities) seemed the likeliest, wedged between DC and Atlanta.

However, with all the general population and specifically high tech movement into that area of Texas, anything is possible.

https://www.opportunityatlas.org/

Going by these "wealth/higher salary" areas, the logical place would be the I-35 tract (most of the money in SA is in the northern or western suburbs) between Schertz and New Braunfels.

Edited by caulfield12

https://www.texasmonthly.com/arts-entertainment/texas-mlb-expansion-team/

Here's a much more in-depth article that looks at the A's and/or Rays leaving their markets...with two more teams coming into the majors to balance it at 32 teams.

Looking like more of a 7-10 year window, with the stadium issue (financing) being the single most important issue, as well as ownership groups/buyers.

Obvious point is that it would pretty much have to be an NL team.

Fire Ants?  Lone Star Hipsters?

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Vaqueros? Roadrunners? 

I think a Spanish name might be a bit controversial...other than the obvious influence on the names of the US cities themselves.

Then you have to consider the political correctness of cowboys vs. Native Americans, and the fact that the Dallas football team essentially has the same name.

Roadrunners works.

You have the El Paso Chihuahuas I guess, as well as the Diablos/Devils.

11 hours ago, greg775 said:

Will the Sox really move? Seems to me if they have a decent team their attendance is fine and last time I checked Chicago was a huge market compared to SAT.

Probably. It's only a matter of time before Joe Rogan buys the team and moves them there. 

For the record, SA has a population of 1.5 million and 2.5 in the metro area.

Chicago is about 3 million and about 9.5 in the metro.

What is really interesting about those numbers if you divide the Chicago market just in half to account for Cubs population, they are about the same in population, and the metros become a lot closer.  It becomes closer still if you push the number for the Sox, especially in the suburbs a bit lower.

I may be the next transplant out there if I can orchestrate things right. I work for a company that outside of relocating offers me no room for advancement. There's a position in Dallas opening up next month that is pretty much mine if I want it butttttt I'd be on my own getting there and finding a place. 

Texsox got a basement for me to crash in? Lol. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I may be the next transplant out there if I can orchestrate things right. I work for a company that outside of relocating offers me no room for advancement. There's a position in Dallas opening up next month that is pretty much mine if I want it butttttt I'd be on my own getting there and finding a place. 

Texsox got a basement for me to crash in? Lol. 

San Antonio to Dallas is about the worst drive imaginable. 

When I relocated in the late 90s housing was about 40% less than the Chicago suburbs. 

Just now, Texsox said:

San Antonio to Dallas is about the worst drive imaginable. 

When I relocated in the late 90s housing was about 40% less than the Chicago suburbs. 

Is that still the case now? (I do apologize if this was something covered in the article. I haven't read it yet. Lol)