2022 Catch All

Texsox

6 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

West Chicago is a pretty decent sized town with a lot of neighborhoods, which one are we talking about here?  I have friends that live in that town and they are in a very nice area near Prince Crossing road, I went to high school in west Chicago for my freshman year and went to middle school at Benjamin in west Chicago and the area was pretty nice around my middle school also.

what I am roundabout getting at is these anecdotal fear posts about where people live and the crime that is happening in those places suck.  Illinois isn't some icky pool of crime, Greg.  People aren't getting carjacked every ten seconds and your weird obsession with it from way out in Kansas is super strange 

I meant west side of chicago, sorry. He said in the day you probably won't get beaten or mugged but at night only the bravest of the brave show their faces anywhere outside of work. As a firefighter he asked to be placed in a firehouse in one of the high active neighborhoods with the most fires to do the most good. He decided to get a place near work but will be moving out cause he's worried about his new girlfriend living there and they will live together somewhere he deems safer.

Edited by greg775

Love me some Bernie. Here's his Tweet from an hour ago. ...

"$2.5 billion in federal funding went to Moderna. The company’s CEO then received a $926 million golden parachute. Does that make any sense to you?"

Hope Bernie continues the attack, but I'm sure the right government officials are getting paid off and are in the corner of big pharm and will let big pharm do whatever it wants.

It's disgraceful how much government money is floating around in the wrong hands.  How much is an aspirin in a hospital these days? Couple hundred?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I meant west side of chicago, sorry. He said in the day you probably won't get beaten or mugged but at night only the bravest of the brave show their faces anywhere outside of work. As a firefighter he asked to be placed in a firehouse in one of the high active neighborhoods with the most fires to do the most good. He decided to get a place near work but will be moving out cause he's worried about his new girlfriend living there and they will live together somewhere he deems safer.

Thats funny, I just spent 3 days at a conference in Chicago, and never felt scared once.

19 hours ago, Middle Buffalo said:

If they steal my car while I’m pumping gas, I’ll be doubly pissed that they took off with $100 of my gas.

I have a 36 gallon tank. $140 was my last fill. I'm pulling a trailer and getting 9 mpg. Oil companies love me this summer. That 5% rebate my credit card is giving me will add up. 

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Thats funny, I just spent 3 days at a conference in Chicago, and never felt scared once.

But you're a bad ass ninja warrior with lightening hands. 

9 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Good. I'm glad. I don't want harm to befall anybody on this board, including mods.

I was in Chicago five nights in March and stayed downtown. I must acknowledge I was intrigued, not scared, on two occasions. On one, I was walking with a guy into a parking garage downtown about 10 p.m. and briefly wondered if it was smart to be walking down a staircase with several levels. Woulda been a good spot to get slugged/mugged. ... One night about 9 or so I was alone and starving after working and walked a few blocks to get a couple slices. Was a bit concerned that somebody might pull up and ambush me walking alone down there. Personally I think there's some luck involved/wrong place/wrong time type deal.

Also the weather was drizzly and fricking cold and I think that gave me confidence any muggers might wait til the weather got a bit better to do their thing.

Edited by greg775

13 hours ago, greg775 said:

Interesting. Tex ... your take? Are Texans talkin' bout seceding?

I think there's a breaking point and yes some states might go this route.

https://www.newsweek.com/texas-secede-us-2023-gop-pushes-referendum-1717254

It literally says in the article you posted:

"The U.S. Constitution makes no provision for states to secede and in 1869, the Supreme Court ruled in Texas v. White that states cannot unilaterally secede from the Union."

So don't plan on it anytime soon.

23 hours ago, greg775 said:

Interesting. Tex ... your take? Are Texans talkin' bout seceding?

I think there's a breaking point and yes some states might go this route.

https://www.newsweek.com/texas-secede-us-2023-gop-pushes-referendum-1717254

My take? 😂

Texans taking about it? No.

Not your best work. 

Are people in this thread actually acting like crime isn't a problem in Chicago?

Two things can be true at the same time:

1. Crime in Chicago is out of control and there's no signs of it getting better

2. You can walk around the city without looking over your shoulder at all times.

Just because you aren't getting mugged on the reg, does not mean crime isn't a massive issue the city needs to address. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2022 at 1:29 PM, southsider2k5 said:

Funny, my nieces and nephews go to school every day without fear. I guess school shootings don't exist.

Your anecdotal evidence of fear is no indication of the reality of crime in chicago.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Funny, my nieces and nephews go to school every day without fear. I guess school shootings don't exist.

Your anecdotal evidence of fear is no indication of the reality of crime in chicago.

And neither are gregs rantings from three states away.

1 hour ago, KrankinSox said:

Are you sure it's trolling? The rants could be sincere. 

They are sincere, thanks. I've pointed out, oh a zillion times, my nephew is a firefighter on the west side of Chicago and actually lives near the station. His opinions are valuable. Also have fam and friends still in Mt. Greenwood/Beverly who I speak with. And finally I have peeps in Naperville and Lisle and Aurora. 

I also point out my cousins are abandoning Chicago/suburbia for Zona and Nashville and the latest cousin is headed to Texas. All are sick of the taxes and danger in Chicagoland.

Despite my trepidation about the city, I pointed out I was there in the spring and even walked around alone downtown one night and also wasn't afraid. I consider it luck. If it's the night somebody's cruising looking for trouble, that's a city u can get carjacked or whupped over the side of the head and robbed. I hope for the best for Chicago. Until the DA starts charging people and making the charges stick and not letting violent criminals out on bail ... uh, that's a problem. But Chicagoans still vote the DA for an extended term and will assuredly reward the mayor with re-election. Interesting city. ... Read this story i linked. Disgusting. Do a google on chicago violence daily; more often than not you'll find violence.

https://news.wttw.com/2022/06/21/61-people-shot-10-killed-over-holiday-weekend-chicago-police

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/chaos-at-north-avenue-beach-spilling-into-chicago-neighborhood

Edited by greg775

6 hours ago, KrankinSox said:

Are you sure it's trolling? The rants could be sincere. 

I'm certain Greg775's rants are sincere but do not necessarily match those of the actual person who writes the posts under that pseudonym. G7, as I liked to call him, has evolved over the years into a mostly predictable puppet whose world views are troll-ish. 

Greg775 is a work of fiction by someone I suspect is intelligent and clearly a good writer. A lawyer perhaps, or college professor. Potential blurring of the two people makes other conclusions difficulty. Was G7 in Chicago for three days working or his puppet master? Potential clues like that could be important. Was there a big convention in town? 

It's a game, and a fun one. Personally I've wanted the character G7 to finally buy a gun or start dating. It would add a new complexity. 

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

They are sincere, thanks. I've pointed out, oh a zillion times, my nephew is a firefighter on the west side of Chicago and actually lives near the station. His opinions are valuable. Also have fam and friends still in Mt. Greenwood/Beverly who I speak with. And finally I have peeps in Naperville and Lisle and Aurora. 

I also point out my cousins are abandoning Chicago/suburbia for Zona and Nashville and the latest cousin is headed to Texas. All are sick of the taxes and danger in Chicagoland.

Despite my trepidation about the city, I pointed out I was there in the spring and even walked around alone downtown one night and also wasn't afraid. I consider it luck. If it's the night somebody's cruising looking for trouble, that's a city u can get carjacked or whupped over the side of the head and robbed. I hope for the best for Chicago. Until the DA starts charging people and making the charges stick and not letting violent criminals out on bail ... uh, that's a problem. But Chicagoans still vote the DA for an extended term and will assuredly reward the mayor with re-election. Interesting city. ... Read this story i linked. Disgusting. Do a google on chicago violence daily; more often than not you'll find violence.

https://news.wttw.com/2022/06/21/61-people-shot-10-killed-over-holiday-weekend-chicago-police

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/chaos-at-north-avenue-beach-spilling-into-chicago-neighborhood

It's no surprise that Illinois, New York, California are experiencing mass exodus. These states and their major cities are run by incompetent leaders who have no interest in doing what's right for their people. 

Have you seen the stats of how many Chicago cops have left the force in the last handful of years. Really troublesome.

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I'm certain Greg775's rants are sincere but do not necessarily match those of the actual person who writes the posts under that pseudonym. G7, as I liked to call him, has evolved over the years into a mostly predictable puppet whose world views are troll-ish. 

Greg775 is a work of fiction by someone I suspect is intelligent and clearly a good writer. A lawyer perhaps, or college professor. Potential blurring of the two people makes other conclusions difficulty. Was G7 in Chicago for three days working or his puppet master? Potential clues like that could be important. Was there a big convention in town? 

It's a game, and a fun one. Personally I've wanted the character G7 to finally buy a gun or start dating. It would add a new complexity. 

It sounds like you idolize the guy!

2 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

It sounds like you idolize the guy!

I do. I admire his commitment to the character. When I'm performing improv I sometimes think of G7. Once we were doing a small show and I totally exaggerated his post about his head being too big for masks while sitting alone on a picnic bench eating lunch. It killed. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, KrankinSox said:

It's no surprise that Illinois, New York, California are experiencing mass exodus. These states and their major cities are run by incompetent leaders who have no interest in doing what's right for their people. 

Have you seen the stats of how many Chicago cops have left the force in the last handful of years. Really troublesome.

The poor management of government in Chicago, Cook, Illinois is coming to a boiling point.

Police Officers are leaving in droves and there is now a real shortage.  Anyone over the age of 50 is contemplating leaving the force.  Chicago has effectively defunded the police by promoting and hiring incompetent leadership in the Police Department which has created a void of real leadership among officers.

While comparatively speaking crime numbers may be down it is the fact that crime is no longer localized that is becoming the issue.  The city gentrified amazingly from 1990 to 2020 and now it is quickly unwinding. 

• knightni unpinned and locked this topic