2022 Catch All

Texsox

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Heartbreaking. Go to a parade and bullets fly at the start of the celebration.

Kind of speechless. Best wishes and prayers for those who are victims of the shooter. Anybody attend the Highland Park parade? 

https://patch.com/illinois/beverly-mtgreenwood/s/ibe7b/mass-shooting-several-shot-at-highland-park-parade-witnesses-say?utm_source=alert-breakingnews&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=alert

And just heard about this mass shooting in Chicago. Terrifying what's going on.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/teen-17-among-5-wounded-in-mass-shooting-in-chicagos-parkway-gardens/2872706/

You should replace your pearls after every 500 clutchings.

31 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You should replace your pearls after every 500 clutchings.

Nationwide problem. Not about me.

We've gone from my childhood when summers consisted of being released from our house by parents in the morning with kids and parents having no cell phones -- being out on the streets and parks unsupervised with buddies all day, only returning home on our bikes for meals (thanks mom!) and then heading out again til dark -- in beautiful south side chitown. No kidnappings, no shootings, no stabbings. Just nirvana childhood fun to now where you can't go to a parade without being concerned.

Peace to all affected by the two incidents I linked today and Happy holiday to all! It is a great holiday, one of the most fun if u like hotdogs, burgers and fireworks.

Edited by greg775

3 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Did Greg really just get criticized for commenting that a 4th of July parade massacre is heartbreaking?

Seems like a very reasonable take.

Greg has been telling everyone how bad Chicago is for years and years. How much better it was when he was a kid. Hundreds of posts on car jacking, murders, purse snatching. Of course events prove him right on a semi regular basis. 

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Greg has been telling everyone how bad Chicago is for years and years. How much better it was when he was a kid. Hundreds of posts on car jacking, murders, purse snatching. Of course events prove him right on a semi regular basis. 

Semi-regular? I'd say this is a pretty regular problem. I don't understand why someone would be criticized for following a very real problem.

Would it be better to pretend it doesn't exist?

16 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Semi-regular? I'd say this is a pretty regular problem. I don't understand why someone would be criticized for following a very real problem.

No. We should actually be doing something about it. I'm working on electing officials willing to tackle gun control. I'm discussing it with my fellow gun owners. 

Where on the list of doing something about it would you place posting links to crime stories on a baseball message board? (Again, this predates today's tragedy. )

Also, We closed the Filibuster because of complaints. 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

No. We should actually be doing something about it. I'm working on electing officials willing to tackle gun control. I'm discussing it with my fellow gun owners. 

Where on the list of doing something about it would you place posting links to crime stories on a baseball message board? (Again, this predates today's tragedy. )

Also, We closed the Filibuster because of complaints. 

I'm gonna go on a different direction on this. I'm in favor of real gun control legislation, and it will reduce the frequency of these mass shootings, but we know that guns will still find their way into the wrong hands.

We have a larger societal problem. We have kids being raised by TV and video games. I'm one of them. Adults care more about making money and getting laid than raising their kids. The worst part of this problem is that there's absolutely no way to legislate this.

I'm not an overly religious or moralistic person. Before you have kids, married or not, work as much as you want and fuck as many different people you want as often as you want, but once you have kids, it's time to make them a priority, and making their other parent a priority is a large part of making them a priority.

• Like 1

@CentralChamps21 Families are a very important step. I think two factors are often overlooked.

One, economically we've lost a big portion of what was the middle class.  Now we're graduating more young people with debt fueled college degrees who are earning less than their grandparents while working more hours. (Adjusted for inflation)  Sadly it's all too common to have one parent households with the custodial parent working multiple jobs to make ends meet. Our socio economic condition is working against young families. 

Two, the gun industry has been target advertising based on suburban fear and taunts to young adolescent males to get their "man card" by buying high powered firearms. As our rate of gun  ownership has skyrocketed, so too have gun crimes. All in the name of profits.

• Thanks 1

For a frame of reference I'll guess that almost everyone I talk to IRL on a regular basis is a gun owner. Hunting, target shooting, skeet, trap, etc. All are responsible, normal folks you'd want as a neighbor. Some collect guns and have collections that non collecting folks might find excessive. Kind of like having 25,000 baseball cards. 

I haven't shot in close to two years now. I'm also vacationing and not carrying for the first time even though I'll be in some very remote areas with bears a potential issue. I'm just sick of them now. I see them in a much different light. 

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I'm gonna go on a different direction on this. I'm in favor of real gun control legislation, and it will reduce the frequency of these mass shootings, but we know that guns will still find their way into the wrong hands.

We have a larger societal problem. We have kids being raised by TV and video games. I'm one of them. Adults care more about making money and getting laid than raising their kids. The worst part of this problem is that there's absolutely no way to legislate this.

I'm not an overly religious or moralistic person. Before you have kids, married or not, work as much as you want and fuck as many different people you want as often as you want, but once you have kids, it's time to make them a priority, and making their other parent a priority is a large part of making them a priority.

Here's the problem with the "criminals will still have guns", we do this for nothing else in the criminal code.  Otherwise we would have full abortion protections, drugs would be legal,  DUIs wouldn't exist, roads wouldn't have speed limits, embezzlement wouldn't be a crime, etc.  Every country would have nuclear weapons.  

We regulate, restrict and ban literally anything else that causes even a fraction of this death and destruction. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KrankinSox said:

Nah, that's the job of the NRA. 

• Fire 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Here's the problem with the "criminals will still have guns", we do this for nothing else in the criminal code.  Otherwise we would have full abortion protections, drugs would be legal,  DUIs wouldn't exist, roads wouldn't have speed limits, embezzlement wouldn't be a crime, etc.  Every country would have nuclear weapons.  

We regulate, restrict and ban literally anything else that causes even a fraction of this death and destruction. 

As I noted, I'm in favor of more strict gun regulations, but also recognizing that there are other factors that cause a person to want to get the gun and shoot dozens of people and that's a problem that nobody's addressing.

11 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

As I noted, I'm in favor of more strict gun regulations, but also recognizing that there are other factors that cause a person to want to get the gun and shoot dozens of people and that's a problem that nobody's addressing.

Fine. Then how about everyone put on their big boy pants and try and do two things at once. We can focus on mental health AND try and get as many guns out of the wrong people's hands at the same time. 

It's the most bat shit insane debate I've ever witnessed. We're the only country this happens at this frequency. Why? If you want to claim it's our culture and mental health, and not a gun issue....then wouldn't you think you'd want to make it sort of hard to get a gun with this many crazy people running around? 

But nothing will change because our political system is a cesspool filled with incompetence and loons, in all branches, on all sides. 

We're supposed to be celebrating our freedom today? We've had shootings at nightclubs, concerts, schools, grocery stores, movie theaters, parades, restaurants.....we're not free. 

• Fire 1

I believe we have many good, competent elected leaders. The problem is they need millions of dollars to be elected dog catcher, even more money for anything with real authority. So they do what they can while toeing the party line which is determined by the biggest donors. George Washington was right, party politics are bad. 

16 minutes ago, Tony said:

If you want to claim it's our culture and mental health, and not a gun issue....then wouldn't you think you'd want to make it sort of hard to get a gun with this many crazy people running around?

I'm not claiming that it's not a gun issue. I'm claiming that it's both.

Gun control will prevent at least one mass shooting so it needs to be done.

Gun control won't prevent every mass shooting so we need to do other stuff also.

Also, mental health, while it needs to be addressed, is too vague. Parents need to pay more attention to their kids. I get that it's harder because now than when you all were kids because there's so much all over the internet, but it has to be done.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I believe we have many good, competent elected leaders. The problem is they need millions of dollars to be elected dog catcher, even more money for anything with real authority. So they do what they can while toeing the party line which is determined by the biggest donors. George Washington was right, party politics are bad. 

I can't find it right now, but there's this chart that shows the political ideologies of members of Congress over the past 60 or whatever years. The dots used to be widely scattered and the red and blue dots even occasionally overlapped. Now the red and blue dots are very concentrated far apart from each other. The shift got much more dramatic right about the time that cable news and talk radio became things.

• Thanks 1

Banning gun advertising would be a nice step, but unconstitutional. How about a warning label?

"Buying this product will not cause your dick to grow or women to suddenly pay attention to you. It will not solve your problems" 

1 minute ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I can't find it right now, but there's this chart that shows the political ideologies of members of Congress over the past 60 or whatever years. The dots used to be widely scattered and the red and blue dots even occasionally overlapped. Now the red and blue dots are very concentrated far apart from each other. The shift got much more dramatic right about the time that cable news and talk radio became things.

There are very few politicians with the donor base and voter support to speak and vote their concious.  John McCain was one of the last. A rep needs several terms to build that base. I think the last great statesman I can remember who was respected by both parties was Paul Simon. 

If term limits ever become a thing we'd see nothing but clones wearing red or blue. The donors and parties would control everything. 

8 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Banning gun advertising would be a nice step, but unconstitutional. How about a warning label?

"Buying this product will not cause your dick to grow or women to suddenly pay attention to you. It will not solve your problems" 

We could treat guns like any other dangerous product where when ot sold irresponsibility or negligently, we assign a level to blame to those people. 

If your bartender overserves, they can be held responsible.  Big pharma was hit for billions over Oxy.  Big Tobacco was drilled for billions. 

Do the same to gun producers and sellers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

We could treat guns like any other dangerous product where when ot sold irresponsibility or negligently, we assign a level to blame to those people. 

If your bartender overserves, they can be held responsible.  Big pharma was hit for billions over Oxy.  Big Tobacco was drilled for billions. 

Do the same to gun producers and sellers.

Politicians are protecting them. There have only been a couple work arounds that have produced results.

• knightni unpinned and locked this topic