Soxtalk Member Age Range

knightni

How old are you?  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Soxtalk is 20 years old this year. How old are you now?

• 16 or Under
    • 17-19
    • 20-24
    • 25-29
    • 30-34
    • 35-39
    • 40-44
    • 45-49
    • 50-54
    • 55+

It's now 20 years since the idea and implementation of Soxtalk happened. (Can you believe it?!)

The board really started moving in 2003; but 2002, a rag-tag group of youts, featuring our own @Chisoxfn , got the idea together of making an alternative to WSI; and Soxtalk.com was born.

Many of us have not been here since the beginning, but most of us grew up as members of this board.

High School, College, (Middle School - :unsure:

How old are you today, and how old were you when you started reading and/or posting here?

• Like 1

Was a long time lurker at WSI just to get Sox news and perspective from fellow fans.  Moved over here after FlyingSock.  I just fall into the 55+ age group so does that make me "old as dirt" for the Soxtalk community?  Simply lurked around here as well until I decided to get my hands dirty and started posting during the pursuit (if that's what you could call it) of the 2 whales (Machado, Harper).  The next season I discovered the wonder and beauty of Soxtalk GameThreads and never looked back.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wegner said:

Was a long time lurker at WSI just to get Sox news and perspective from fellow fans.  Moved over here after FlyingSock.  I just fall into the 55+ age group so does that make me "old as dirt" for the Soxtalk community?  Simply lurked around here as well until I decided to get my hands dirty and started posting during the pursuit (if that's what you could call it) of the 2 whales (Machado, Harper).  The next season I discovered the wonder and beauty of Soxtalk GameThreads and never looked back.

At 76 years old...you are a young whippersnapper to me.  Like you...long time lurker.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

At 76 years old...you are a young whippersnapper to me.  Like you...long time lurker.

I think your enthusiasm and generally positive attitude makes you 10 years younger Poppy while my negativity makes me 10 years older....so we are roughly the same Soxtalk age.  Although I do like the sound of being called a whippersnapper again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, wegner said:

I think your enthusiasm and generally positive attitude makes you 10 years younger Poppy while my negativity makes me 10 years older....so we are roughly the same Soxtalk age.  Although I do like the sound of being called a whippersnapper again. 

There is no market for grumpy old people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

There is no market for grumpy old people.

See Eastwood, Clint.  Well, maybe until the last five years or so.

Speaking of old/er, kind of sad news (perhaps exciting for Millennials) today for those who grew up collecting baseball cards in the 50’s through 90’s.

https://theathletic.com/news/fanatics-to-acquire-famed-trading-card-company-topps-sources/CDjLZvg6E8uC/?source=pulsenewsletter&campaign={{campaignId}}&source=email&campaign=3474973&email_login=jewisler%40yahoo.com

And the roughly 1/3rd being 50+ here reflects partially the nationwide average of 57 for those who list baseball still as their favorite sport.  Another scary number for the sport is 80% over 30.

Edited by caulfield12

29 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

And the roughly 1/3rd being 50+ here reflects partially the nationwide average of 57 for those who list baseball still as their favorite sport.  Another scary number for the sport is 80% over 30.

Baseball was and still is America's favorite national pastime for  boomers.

However, watching a baseball game just does not provide the same level of stimulation that gaming does for younger fans.

I think most  fans over 55 tend to rely on their own experience and the eye test in evaluating teams and players and generally place less emphasis on sabermetrics.

28 minutes ago, tray said:

However, watching a baseball game just does not provide the same level of stimulation that gaming does for younger fans.

I think most  fans over 55 tend to rely on their own experience and the eye test in evaluating teams and players and generally place less emphasis on sabermetrics.

gaming and almost all other major sports

2 hours ago, tray said:

I agree that sabermetrics has very little support among the senior crowd (70+).  I will always believe a .320 average or 100+ rbi's or 40 HR means something and I am a big believer in OBP being a huge stat.  I don't doubt that sabermetrics can uncover some hidden strengths or weaknesses for those making projections for future success.  That said, the eye test works very well.  I can remember watching Hunter Pence III playing CF for the  AA Hooks in Corpus Christy and saying we will be seeing him soon in the ML.  The eye test can see throwing to the wrong base and lack of hustle...along with great speed and playing smart baseball.  Most people in the HOF would pass the eye test and the WAR type of evaluation.  

• Like 1

I started posting here shortly after the WS win in 05. I started on WSI in March 2005 and migrated here in November. For a while I posted both places but after all of the decent posters on WSI left I mostly posted here. I was 19 when I started posting at ST and am 35 now. Somehow, I've become a worse poster over the years. All is good though. 

I discovered internet baseball when I was in college- I remember trying to find info about the CLee for Pods trade and the rest is history.   Didn’t start posting at WSI until 06 I think.  Got banned pretty fast.  Found all of you guys a few years later.  

I used to be all over the ESPN MLB boards- I hope some of you got to enjoy that before it went away.  That was so pure.  As far as I know there still isn’t a place for the world to talk baseball.  

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

See Eastwood, Clint.  Well, maybe until the last five years or so.

Speaking of old/er, kind of sad news (perhaps exciting for Millennials) today for those who grew up collecting baseball cards in the 50’s through 90’s.

https://theathletic.com/news/fanatics-to-acquire-famed-trading-card-company-topps-sources/CDjLZvg6E8uC/?source=pulsenewsletter&campaign={{campaignId}}&source=email&campaign=3474973&email_login=jewisler%40yahoo.com

My Cub fan older brother (78) lives in another state yet we talk two or three times a week.  Yes...we use the phone...not smoke signals.  Seldom do we not discuss baseball at some point in the conversation and it is a real bond we have.  He is now jealous of the great team we have while he feels he doesn't have many years left to be watching "his crappy team".  Baseball has had this place in many families and it's because we were fans as 10-year-olds.  Baseball people should be careful to cultivate the young baseball fan or there won't be any game for them to fight over.  

14 minutes ago, poppysox said:

My Cub fan older brother (78) lives in another state yet we talk two or three times a week.  Yes...we use the phone...not smoke signals.  Seldom do we not discuss baseball at some point in the conversation and it is a real bond we have.  He is now jealous of the great team we have while he feels he doesn't have many years left to be watching "his crappy team".  Baseball has had this place in many families and it's because we were fans as 10-year-olds.  Baseball people should be careful to cultivate the young baseball fan or there won't be any game for them to fight over.  

Funny the smoke signals remark, I have a good friend who doesnt text, email or use social media and of course no PC. I often tell him I will Morse Code him or use carrying pigeon :) 

I’m 37 and first joined in 2004.  I withdrew for a period of time after a couple of internet tough guys here gave me shit for having a picture of Eazy-E wearing in his Sox hat in my signature despite being from the north suburbs.  Amidst the 2005 late season collapse, I posted why I was optimistic about our chances and apparently a couple pussies here got triggered by my positivity and the notion of a north side kid liking rap music.  Between that and the general negativity at the time, I pretty much stopped posting.  Rejoined in 2008 under a new handle and have loved it ever since.  The site has become one of the best fan communities on the internet and it’s amazing to see the diverse group of people who post here.  Kudos goes out to the mod team for allowing people to disagree with the more popular opinions and occasionally say stupid / aggressive shit without fear of unfair long-term repercussions.

11 hours ago, almagest said:

39, been here since the beginning. Lurked for a long time, had another account too but forgot it. ST has been in my daily routine forever.

We have a similar story. 39 on the 12th… been here since I was 20.

• Like 1