Soxtalk Member Age Range

knightni

How old are you?  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Soxtalk is 20 years old this year. How old are you now?

• 16 or Under
    • 17-19
    • 20-24
    • 25-29
    • 30-34
    • 35-39
    • 40-44
    • 45-49
    • 50-54
    • 55+

I’m 33. I joined here when I was a freshman in high school after spending the previous few years at the whitesox.com message boards. I was here when there was Sox and Roll before podcasts were cool. I met some of the original posters here at games, one of them because of my dad’s connection in business. I also met a poster in high school too. I don’t have much to add with posting except for when there is an offseason and try to learn from people who know more about analytics or appear to have inside information. There are a ton of smart posters here.

Edited by The Beast
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The Beast said:

try to learn from people who know more about analytics

I likewise try to to gain insights from the analysis of sabermetrics .  Those numbers are a great way to evaluate player performance and trends. I admit though that I am still  mostly old school when it comes to  talent evaluation.  That is more subjective, but after many years of watching major league baseball, you gain your own insights which can add to evaluating a player based on raw numbers.  So, old school plus new school.

9 hours ago, tray said:

I likewise try to to gain insights from the analysis of sabermetrics .  Those numbers are a great way to evaluate player performance and trends. I admit though that I am still  mostly old school when it comes to  talent evaluation.  That is more subjective, but after many years of watching major league baseball, you gain your own insights which can add to evaluating a player based on raw numbers.  So, old school plus new school.

I think what would be helpful is knowing what a good metric is. Like I would consider a batting average of .265+ to be good, .280+ to be great, .300 to be awesome. I don’t necessarily understand what benchmarks would be for WAR, Whip, WRC+. Knowing those would be helpful. Old school eye test mixed with new school analytics can be very powerful.

I more or less remember seeing Roger Maris hit a dinger at Comiskey in '61. I'm thinking it was off Ray Herbert, but as an 8 year old at the time, the memory-image is a little fuzzy. I do recall not realizing the significance of it until several years later.
As for this site - I've lurked here for years but only joined earlier this season  I didn't feel the need to join the fray and simply used the site to see what's up with the Sox. I still have family in the area but haven't lived in Chicago in a long time.

39 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

I more or less remember seeing Roger Maris hit a dinger at Comiskey in '61. I'm thinking it was off Ray Herbert, but as an 8 year old at the time, the memory-image is a little fuzzy. I do recall not realizing the significance of it until several years later.
As for this site - I've lurked here for years but only joined earlier this season  I didn't feel the need to join the fray and simply used the site to see what's up with the Sox. I still have family in the area but haven't lived in Chicago in a long time.

Maris hit more homers against the Sox with 13 than any other team on his way to 61 in 61. I remember seeing 2 of them at old Comiskey.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Thanks 1

• knightni unpinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/11/2022 at 8:12 AM, roto said:

Totally random subject here but many of you reside in Illinois so maybe someone else noticed this.  I recently renewed my driver's license and noticed a change.  Toward the top, right under the red "DRIVER'S lICENSE" banner are the words: Federal Limits Apply.  Anyone have an explanation for this new phrase added to our licenses? 

That's on my license too,  

Not related, but they combined the CCW and Foid cards into one.

When this thread was made, I was 29. I have since turned 30. I think I joined in like 15 or 16, but started posting regularly when we began tearing things down in 17. I've stopped a few different times, just because life gets busy. I'm typically here during the season and pop in for the hot topics when moves are made in the off-season.

I joined July 28, 2003, so I guess I qualify as a fairly early Sox talk member.  I'm 65.  Been an avid Sox fan since 1970. I switched off the Cubs after they folded down the stretch to the Mets in 1969.  Grew up in Evanston, but I haven't lived in the Chicago area since 1976.  

I owe my baseball fandom to my oldest brother, who died 9 years ago.  We never had a conversation on the phone in which baseball didn't come up.  He was also a Sox fan, until later in life when he moved to Ohio and switched to the Indians.  I somehow remember snippets of the 1959 Sox winning the pennant, though I'm not sure how as I wasn't even 3. 

The funny thing is, before the Sox won the pennant in 2005, their previous pennant was 1959, when I was almost 3 (November birthday).  Well, my adopted Son, who is also a Sox fan, was just short of 3 years old when the 2005 Sox won the pennant and World Series.  (He also has a November birthday.)  Hopefully the Sox won't have to wait for another pennant/WS until he has a son, born in November, who is about to turn 3! 

Edited by VAfan

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 65 , 66 in June , UK state pension age :shades , joined the forum April 2018 , the season had started and I was a total baseball newbie , had to ask what a fly ball was . Soccer is my game , don't like much else , Grand Slam tennis maybe . Baseball appeared on my screen courtesy of ESPN and I decided to try and get a handle on it , White Sox was always going to be my team as I watched a bit of NFL in the 80's and rooted for the Bears , love the game now .  I like forums , I'm a Moderator on a HiFi forum and the average age is pretty old, I read a bit on here but usually feel a bit out of my depth to post anything constructive towards the game threads .

4 minutes ago, Bazox said:

I'm 65 , 66 in June , UK state pension age :shades , joined the forum April 2018 , the season had started and I was a total baseball newbie , had to ask what a fly ball was . Soccer is my game , don't like much else , Grand Slam tennis maybe . Baseball appeared on my screen courtesy of ESPN and I decided to try and get a handle on it , White Sox was always going to be my team as I watched a bit of NFL in the 80's and rooted for the Bears , love the game now .  I like forums , I'm a Moderator on a HiFi forum and the average age is pretty old, I read a bit on here but usually feel a bit out of my depth to post anything constructive towards the game threads .

Welcome.

On 2/26/2022 at 4:50 AM, VAfan said:

I joined July 28, 2003, so I guess I qualify as a fairly early Sox talk member.  I'm 65.  Been an avid Sox fan since 1970. I switched off the Cubs after they folded down the stretch to the Mets in 1969.  Grew up in Evanston, but I haven't lived in the Chicago area since 1976.  

I owe my baseball fandom to my oldest brother, who died 9 years ago.  We never had a conversation on the phone in which baseball didn't come up.  He was also a Sox fan, until later in life when he moved to Ohio and switched to the Indians.  I somehow remember snippets of the 1959 Sox winning the pennant, though I'm not sure how as I wasn't even 3. 

The funny thing is, before the Sox won the pennant in 2005, their previous pennant was 1959, when I was almost 3 (November birthday).  Well, my adopted Son, who is also a Sox fan, was just short of 3 years old when the 2005 Sox won the pennant and World Series.  (He also has a November birthday.)  Hopefully the Sox won't have to wait for another pennant/WS until he has a son, born in November, who is about to turn 3! 

I am November 3, but 1969, haha.

My mom is April 3rd, and son is March 3rd, 2015.

45 years apart again (for a grandchild) would be a bad trend because that would make me 90.

Putin or a junk food and soda-fueled diet will get me before then...although my mom is almost 93 now.

And a White Sox WS is STILL much more likely than Iowa winning an NCAA championship in basketball or football.  Which reminds me I now have to resubscribe to MLB Extra Innings again.

Edited by caulfield12

I just turned 40. My profile says I joined in 2007 (this sounds right, I wouldn't have remembered otherwise) so I would've been 25 then. I was still active duty military then and used to obsessively post on message boards. I remember this board used to have a lot of action late into the night, now it starts to quiet down about 9 pm CST cuz everyone's getting ready for bed 😂