Jose Celebrates his 35th Birthday Today

poppysox

Jose has been Mr. White Sox since 2013.  Today's birthday #35 make me wonder when the Konerko transition will begin.  I would like to see Jose transition to a player/coach role in the not too distant future.  The young players obviously look up to him as a team leader.

9 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'd prefer us to not be the team to find out.  Unless a super friendly deal can happen (under 10mil per season), I'd let him test the market after this year. 

I don't disagree but there is no denying that Jose is a team leader for the young players.  His presence on the bench is obvious.

The guy was MVP two years ago. He had 30 hrs and 2nd in majors with 117 RBIs last season. 

This board was having discussions about putting Abreu out to pasture years before his MVP season. Why don’t we wait for production to actually begin to drop before we put him on the bench as a coach. 

How many people on this board wanted Sox to get 40 yr. old ‘roider Nelson Cruz last year. I don’t get people who want to replace Abreu.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

35 isn't that old in baseball. Will his production go down? Probably but with baseball hitting going to lift and pull and trying to hit everything out, Jose should be able to adjust and have above league average numbers till 41 or 40. Let him play ball.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

I assume the intent is for Vaughn to start splitting time with Abreu this season at 1B/DH, taking over after Abreu is done this year. I really don't think they have the money to sign him for 2023, unless he takes a sweetheart retirement tour deal at near minimum salary.

1 hour ago, pcq said:

Jose just needs to be a little more flexible at this point unless he is carrying the team. The young core needs his leadership and a little more production on their end.

Yeah and when he’s struggling and some young guys are hitting, I really hope he is moved down a bit in the order.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

It seems like today's fans like their players in the window of 25 to 28. That's about it. Under 25 they need more seasoning and are rushed if they come up. Over 29 and they are about toast. Wonder what Tom Brady thinks of all this on the football field. He was pretty good from 38 to 42. 

Jose's actually pretty good on defense IMO. He's not a sieve at 1B. And he had an off year at the plate for him but again, he's adjusting to trying to hit it out every at bat. He'll be fine. 

this is sad that pitchers and catchers are supposed to report and we've got this work stoppage. Very very sad for the game of baseball. Both sides are making good dough. Play ball baby.

12 hours ago, greg775 said:

It seems like today's fans like their players in the window of 25 to 28. That's about it. Under 25 they need more seasoning and are rushed if they come up. Over 29 and they are about toast. Wonder what Tom Brady thinks of all this on the football field. He was pretty good from 38 to 42. 

Jose's actually pretty good on defense IMO. He's not a sieve at 1B. And he had an off year at the plate for him but again, he's adjusting to trying to hit it out every at bat. He'll be fine. 

this is sad that pitchers and catchers are supposed to report and we've got this work stoppage. Very very sad for the game of baseball. Both sides are making good dough. Play ball baby.

I agree with your point that Jose is actually pretty good on defense.  He worked hard to become a reliable fielder.

13 hours ago, poppysox said:

I agree with your point that Jose is actually pretty good on defense.  He worked hard to become a reliable fielder.

I wish some of the regulars on here, the ones I always disagree with, would post their opinion of ageism in baseball. What ages do you generally accept for a ballplayer in terms of him being worth his salary? Is it like I suggest? 25 1/2 to 28? Those seem to me to be the only ages of players that excite fans? Any player older than 28 is a question mark and anybody under 25 better be in the minors lest he be rushed? To me, Jose is at a perfect age. My guess is most of my board adversaries think Jose is way too ancient to be on the team. Or maybe fans are OK with his age 35 and 36 seasons? Comments?

Edited by greg775

22 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I wish some of the regulars on here, the ones I always disagree with, would post their opinion of ageism in baseball. What ages do you generally accept for a ballplayer in terms of him being worth his salary? Is it like I suggest? 25 1/2 to 28? Those seem to me to be the only ages of players that excite fans? Any player older than 28 is a question mark and anybody under 25 better be in the minors lest he be rushed? To me, Jose is at a perfect age. My guess is most of my board adversaries think Jose is way too ancient to be on the team. Or maybe fans are OK with his age 35 and 36 seasons? Comments?

I know it can feel like "adversaries" but for the most part, they are fellow WS fans who have strong opinions just like you and me.  A few years ago when Jose was about to become a FA you were without a doubt Jose's biggest supporter.  At the end of the day, the FO agreed with you and brought him back.  His performance since then has been as "you" thought and you were right in your support for him.  Nice of you not to rub it into all those who said Jose was finished.  If I had my way Jose will share a little more time this year with Vaughn (heir apparent) and maybe sign an extension with the understanding of transitioning to a player/coach type of situation...heavy on the "coach" as his skills diminish as they do for everyone.  His fellow players look up to him and I like him so long as the young guys get to transition.  Jose seems to be WS in his veins so I think he will recognize when the time comes.  Konerko as an example stayed too long and I for one thought it was sad to tarnish his reputation.  Age is a funny thing in baseball.  Thomas and Konerko both made 15 years and the last few weren't very pretty to watch.  Jose started his major league career later than those guys so I guess it's year to year.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

If only there was some sort of analysis that could be done to answer this question so as to eliminate all of your hurt feelings. 

4 hours ago, poppysox said:

I know it can feel like "adversaries" but for the most part, they are fellow WS fans who have strong opinions just like you and me.  A few years ago when Jose was about to become a FA you were without a doubt Jose's biggest supporter.  At the end of the day, the FO agreed with you and brought him back.  His performance since then has been as "you" thought and you were right in your support for him.  Nice of you not to rub it into all those who said Jose was finished.  If I had my way Jose will share a little more time this year with Vaughn (heir apparent) and maybe sign an extension with the understanding of transitioning to a player/coach type of situation...heavy on the "coach" as his skills diminish as they do for everyone.  His fellow players look up to him and I like him so long as the young guys get to transition.  Jose seems to be WS in his veins so I think he will recognize when the time comes.  Konerko as an example stayed too long and I for one thought it was sad to tarnish his reputation.  Age is a funny thing in baseball.  Thomas and Konerko both made 15 years and the last few weren't very pretty to watch.  Jose started his major league career later than those guys so I guess it's year to year.

Thank you for the kind, yet intellectual and helpful response. I endorse your opinion. I do like what Vaughn brings to the table potentially.

On 2/15/2022 at 2:50 PM, pcq said:

Jose just needs to be a little more flexible at this point unless he is carrying the team. The young core needs his leadership and a little more production on their end.

Unfortunately, he is still the only constant in that lineup every season.  That's hard to replace.