MiLB 2022 Catch All thread

southsider2k5

Some The Athletic Blurbs on prospects in back field games from Keith Law. The pitcher Kath/Montgomery were facing was Maddux Bruns btw.

Two of the left-handed bats he demolished were the White Sox’s first two picks from 2021, infielders Colson Montgomery and Wes Kath, neither of whom had a prayer against Bruns’ breaking stuff. Montgomery at least grounded out against a fastball, although he ran well below average on it. It’s really not fair to evaluate these guys – Montgomery is 20, Kath 19 – against a pitcher with stuff that would be in the upper echelon in the big leagues.

Some good news for White Sox fans, though – Oscar Colas, who signed for $2.7 million in January after three years in the Japanese minor leagues, is playing in High-A games and showing some plus tools. He’s got bat speed and plus power, homering to lead off his game on Friday. He also shows good plate coverage with some chase but the ability to hit some pitches out of the zone, at least at this level. He’s not as explosive as Luis Robert, to whom he will inevitably be compared as another Cuban outfielder signed by Chicago, but he has easy 20 homer power and a plus-plus arm (he’d been up to 95 mph on the mound in the past), and if he shows he can handle better breaking stuff this year, he could be a fast mover in a diminished White Sox system.

White Sox third base prospect Bryan Ramos was in the same lineup, and while he’s behind Colas as a hitter, he has incredible bat speed and might have 25-30 homer upside, although he’s filling out and going to be big enough that he’ll probably end up a 45 or 40 runner. He moved around well enough at third, although I didn’t see him challenged.

https://theathletic.com/3210722/2022/03/26/law-dodgers-maddux-bruns-looks-electric-plus-a-name-to-remember-scouting-the-cactus-leagues-back-fields/?source=twitterhq

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Some The Athletic Blurbs on prospects in back field games from Keith Law. The pitcher Kath/Montgomery were facing was Maddux Bruns btw.

https://theathletic.com/3210722/2022/03/26/law-dodgers-maddux-bruns-looks-electric-plus-a-name-to-remember-scouting-the-cactus-leagues-back-fields/?source=twitterhq

God I love that write-up on Ramos.  I had him 7th overall in my personal rankings but between these type of scouting reports and Zips being super high on him it just seems like a matter of time before he’s a top 100 prospect.

MLB Scouts Identify 20 Players Turning Heads At 2022 Spring Training

Yoelqui Cespedes, OF, White Sox

“When I was down here for the Fall League he stood on the field because of his name and how totally bad he was. It was like ‘Wow, this is terrible. This is a waste of a couple million dollars.’ And then this spring, it’s been a total turnaround. He’s been way more under control at the plate. The chase is definitely still there, there’s always going to be aggressiveness, but he’s been way more under control. And then on defense, he couldn’t even play left field in the Fall League. Now he’s been an absolute ballhawk in center and he made probably the most impressive throw I’ve ever seen live the other night. So yeah, for me his stock is definitely pointing in the right direction. I’m going to be tempered with my prediction on him, but if you told me he got up in the second half for them and was making a contribution, that wouldn’t be a surprise.”

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/mlb-scouts-identify-20-players-turning-heads-at-2022-spring-training/

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 4
  • Fire 1

11 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

When it comes to the Cuban kids especially, I think sometimes we forget that these guys have essentially not played baseball for years, and are also coming into a new situation, language, etc completely different from where they have been before.  That first year can be a horrible adjustment period.  Maybe it was a bit of trying to hard, or not being in game shape, or being in the wrong place mentally, but it is really nice to hear that he is turning heads, as that makes a big difference at the top of the minors if Cespedes is a legit future option.

• Like 1

Also a Luis Robert mention in the same article, but nothing we didn't already know.

Luis Robert, OF, White Sox

“Ability-wise he’s always really been good and he’s always been swing(ing) at everything. It looks a little bit better this year. That little adjustment could turn him from a really good player that is undisciplined to an MVP candidate. He’s stayed in the zone a little bit better. I’m not entirely sold that he’s taken that jump, but it’s a good initial impression.”

Edited by DirtySox