Baseball America Top 30 (Actually, 40)

Y2Jimmy0

4 minutes ago, wegner said:

Is 2024 too soon to expect Colas to push for the MLB roster??

If you want to go by Pipeline (so, grain of salt), we could have Yoelqui, Cespedes and Sanchez up next year.

I only say this because I want a lineup, for one day, with:

SS - Anderson

CF - Robert

1B - Abreu

C - Grandal 

DH - Eloy

3B - Moncada

LF - Cespedes

RF - Colas

2B - Sanchez

Seven Cuban lineup babyyyy

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

If you want to go by Pipeline (so, grain of salt), we could have Yoelqui, Cespedes and Sanchez up next year.

SS - Anderson

CF - Robert

1B - Abreu

C - Grandal 

DH - Eloy

3B - Moncada

LF - Cespedes

RF - Colas

2B - Sanchez

Where is Ramos?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

SS - Anderson

CF - Robert

1B - Abreu

C - Grandal 

DH - Eloy

3B - Moncada

LF - Cespedes

RF - Colas

2B - Sanchez

My MInnie Minosa bobble head is saying YES!!

• Love 1

5 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

“Guy is legit” and “small sample but I’m a fan” are direct quotes from people outside the org. He’s playing CF which he won’t do but it tells me he can definitely play a corner. He also has plus power potential. Definite big leaguer and probably a regular in an outfield corner. Reminds me of Cliff Floyd personally. 

Cornelus! A former patient and went to my high school. Is Colas that big? Cliff was 6'3" and went 225 in high school and could play CF.

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2022 at 3:17 PM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Baseball America has printed their handbooks. They listed a top 30 and then gave 31-40 as well. It's the 30th ranked system but there are lots of 45-50 grades here and lots of super young dudes so they could jump quite a bit next year. They didn't include Colas or Hernandez. 

1. Colson Montgomery SS

2. Yoelqui Cespedes OF 

3. Norge Vera RHP 

4. Wes Kath 3B 

5. Jose Rodriguez SS 

6. Andrew Dalquist RHP 

7. Jake BUrger 3B 

8. Jared Kelley RHP 

9. Sean Burke RHP 

10. Matthew Thompson RHP 

11. Bryan Ramos 

12. Jimmy Lambert RHP 

13. Jonathan Stiever RHP 

14. Jason Bilous RHP 

15. Romy Gonzalez SS 

16. Yolbert Sanchez SS 

17. Lenyn Sosa SS 

18. Micker Adolfo OF 

19. Tanner McDougal RHP 

20. Cristian Mena RHP 

21. Blake Rutherford OF 

22. Caleb Freeman RHP 

23. Luis Mieses OF 

24. Wilber Sanchez SS 

25. Yoelvin Silven RHP 

26. Bennett Sousa LHP 

27. Brooks Gosswein LHP 

28. Gil Luna Jr LHP 

29. Wilfred Veras 3B 

30. Adam Hackenberg C 

31. Kade McClure RHP 

32. Luke Shilling RHP 

33. Theo Denlinger RHP 

34. Johan Dominguez RHP 

35. McKinley Moore RHP 

36. Fraser Ellard LHP 

37. Misael Gonzalez OF 

38. Taylor Broadway RHP 

39. Johnny Ray RHP

40. Davis Martin RHP 

So BA is doing rolling mid season updates, but there's no real indications that i could see for who moved up or down so glad this existed! I know there was an update after the quoted post above. For instance Ramos had already moved to 6 so it's more like +4, but bear with me since this was easiest. Note, I did include Colas was at 10 below, so I tried my best!!!

Here is the updated list with movement. This will be the last update. I love my BA subscription, and it includes May Updates on so many guys with the stuff we've been begging for info on including defensive comments and most importantly, velo and stuff jumps! This rolling update is new and SO SO worth it. Please consider supporting such an awesome product that I am pirating here so you can have a final taste. 

1. Colson Montgomery SS (Unchanged)
2. Bryan Ramos 3B +10 (was 11)
3. Jose Rodriguez SS +2
4. Sean Burke RHP +5
5. Norge Vera RHP -3
6. Oscar Colas OF +4
7. Yoelqui Cespedes OF -5
8. Jake Burger (hilariously listed as RHP on the site but 3B) -1
9. Romy Gonzalez SS +6
10. Wes Kath 3b -6
11. Lenyn Sosa SS/2B +6!!! (see notes below)
12. Yolbert Sanchez SS/2b +4
13. Davis Martin RHP +27 (highest jump, see notes below)
14. Jared Kelley RHP -6
15. Jason Bilous RHP -1
16. Matthew Thompson RHP -6
17. Jimmy Lambert RHP -5
18. Jonathan Stiever RHP -5
19. Christian Mena RHP +1
20. Kohl Simas RHP SEE NOTES BELOW 
21. Andrew Dalquist RHP -14
22. Erick Hernandez OF (I have to check but I believe he was just slid down from 16 since everyone moved up.)
23. Caleb Freeman RHP -2
24. Tanner MacDougal RHP -6
25. Adam Hackenberg C +5
26. Luis Mieses OF -3
27. Carlos Perez C Unranked previously
28. Yohemy Nolasco RHP (PM for an awesome tidbit)
29. Bennett Sousa LHP -3 (first lhp i've included? lol)
30. Yoelvin Silven RHP -4

I am providing a small sample of notes:

Sosa:
The power has emerged in Sosa’ s age-22 season, with his ISO jumping from .068 last year to .197 in 2022. His walk rate has also improved significantly while strikeouts have dropped. With the ability to play all three infield positions, there could be further upward movement as the season progresses.

Simas:

May Update: An undrafted free agent in 2021, Simas moved into the rotation this year at Low-A Kannapolis and is attacking hitters with a four-pitch mix including a mid-90s fastball.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/teams/1026/chicago-white-sox/organizational/#96992

The Yohemy Nolasco stuff is ❤️ . Never heard of him prior, don't even know what class he was in? He is 19 years old from the Dominican Republic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Nice to see Carlos Perez in there.  I guess traditionally a 25 yr old who has never been in the top 30 before is hard to move higher but between the power surge and K rate thought for sure he'd at least be in the top 15.

Martin is 25 and he made a huge leap.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

43 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Nice to see Carlos Perez in there.  I guess traditionally a 25 yr old who has never been in the top 30 before is hard to move higher but between the power surge and K rate thought for sure he'd at least be in the top 15.

Martin is 25 and he made a huge leap.

And as a catcher his age doesn't seem that out of place. I asked Matt Eddy at BA for what the reports were on his defense and he replied with an article that Getz/TLR were high on it. That doesn't mean as much to me given the way they spoke about collins, but obviously he at least doesn't look out of place like Yermin or they'd say.

21 hours ago, bmags said:

So BA is doing rolling mid season updates, but there's no real indications that i could see for who moved up or down so glad this existed! I know there was an update after the quoted post above. For instance Ramos had already moved to 6 so it's more like +4, but bear with me since this was easiest. Note, I did include Colas was at 10 below, so I tried my best!!!

Here is the updated list with movement. This will be the last update. I love my BA subscription, and it includes May Updates on so many guys with the stuff we've been begging for info on including defensive comments and most importantly, velo and stuff jumps! This rolling update is new and SO SO worth it. Please consider supporting such an awesome product that I am pirating here so you can have a final taste. 

1. Colson Montgomery SS (Unchanged)
2. Bryan Ramos 3B +10 (was 11)
3. Jose Rodriguez SS +2
4. Sean Burke RHP +5
5. Norge Vera RHP -3
6. Oscar Colas OF +4
7. Yoelqui Cespedes OF -5
8. Jake Burger (hilariously listed as RHP on the site but 3B) -1
9. Romy Gonzalez SS +6
10. Wes Kath 3b -6
11. Lenyn Sosa SS/2B +6!!! (see notes below)
12. Yolbert Sanchez SS/2b +4
13. Davis Martin RHP +27 (highest jump, see notes below)
14. Jared Kelley RHP -6
15. Jason Bilous RHP -1
16. Matthew Thompson RHP -6
17. Jimmy Lambert RHP -5
18. Jonathan Stiever RHP -5
19. Christian Mena RHP +1
20. Kohl Simas RHP SEE NOTES BELOW 
21. Andrew Dalquist RHP -14
22. Erick Hernandez OF (I have to check but I believe he was just slid down from 16 since everyone moved up.)
23. Caleb Freeman RHP -2
24. Tanner MacDougal RHP -6
25. Adam Hackenberg C +5
26. Luis Mieses OF -3
27. Carlos Perez C Unranked previously
28. Yohemy Nolasco RHP (PM for an awesome tidbit)
29. Bennett Sousa LHP -3 (first lhp i've included? lol)
30. Yoelvin Silven RHP -4

I am providing a small sample of notes:

Sosa:
The power has emerged in Sosa’ s age-22 season, with his ISO jumping from .068 last year to .197 in 2022. His walk rate has also improved significantly while strikeouts have dropped. With the ability to play all three infield positions, there could be further upward movement as the season progresses.

Simas:

May Update: An undrafted free agent in 2021, Simas moved into the rotation this year at Low-A Kannapolis and is attacking hitters with a four-pitch mix including a mid-90s fastball.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/teams/1026/chicago-white-sox/organizational/#96992

The Yohemy Nolasco stuff is ❤️ . Never heard of him prior, don't even know what class he was in? He is 19 years old from the Dominican Republic.

Thanks for this!

Did the update include system rankings?  Not a great farm by any means, but is this really still the worse farm in the league? 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Thanks for this!

Did the update include system rankings?  Not a great farm by any means, but is this really still the worse farm in the league? 

No system ranking updates, I'd assume there is still a big midseason update and maybe that's done there.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

No system ranking updates, I'd assume there is still a big midseason update and maybe that's done there.

They're actually updating these every month I guess from now on which is interesting but I'm not sure how reliable it is. 

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They're actually updating these every month I guess from now on which is interesting but I'm not sure how reliable it is. 

They are updating system updates? (edit: I'm referring to their organizational farm system rankings, not rankings within their farm system)

I know they are doing team top 30s but I assume mid-year they'll re-do their top 100.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

They are updating system updates? (edit: I'm referring to their organizational farm system rankings, not rankings within their farm system)

I know they are doing team top 30s but I assume mid-year they'll re-do their top 100.

I just meant that they're doing team top 30's like regularly. Not sure I like that though 

7 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I just meant that they're doing team top 30's like regularly. Not sure I like that though 

I know people get hung up on the number movements but the individual player notes are phenomenal info. Kinda reminds me of when chicago magazine had a list of top restaurants, but they would add notes each month for any they re-reviewed with changes. Nice little blurbs to hold you over until the higher level updates.

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

Mena seems low doesn't he? I haven't been able to keep up that much, but his stats and the way this board talks about him, I was a little surprised to see him at 19. 

I personally think he should be higher, but I'm just a random guy that watches too much MILB TV.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

Mena seems low doesn't he? I haven't been able to keep up that much, but his stats and the way this board talks about him, I was a little surprised to see him at 19. 

The kids coming out of Latin America always take a bit longer to figure out accurately as they are more of an unknown and younger commodity versus the guys who have been born and raised in the US system.  If he keeps this up, he is the type of a guy who will explode up the various lists when the mid-season updates happen.

On 4/15/2022 at 2:40 PM, Quin said:

SS - Anderson

CF - Robert

1B - Abreu

C - Grandal 

DH - Eloy

3B - Moncada

LF - Cespedes

RF - Colas

2B - Sanchez

umm, where TF is Vaughn? 

MLB had Mena 29.  This was their last sentence "He'll probably need to return to the ACL in 2022 before he's ready for full-season ball. "  One would think with his domination of a full season league , his stock would be way up.  Again it is early and relatively small sample size but he is exciting.  Being young and not totally filled out, he may tire or the organization may limit his innings but hard not to get excited.

3 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

umm, where TF is Vaughn? 

I said a one day lineup, but he could take Eloy's spot. It's really an either/or.

Unless Ramos sprints like a madman through the minors, then sorry boys. 8 Cubans + TA.