Olympics

2 hours ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

Lol.  If she tested positive for a banned substance they should lose the medal.  Just like the USA didn’t let Richardson compete in the summer games when she tested positive for weed (which is clearly not performance enhancing).  Only a piece of shit like Putin could make it political. 

If she tested positive for a banned substance, the entire ROC delegation should be sent home. Figure skaters, hockey team, curling teams--all of them.

4 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

If she tested positive for a banned substance, the entire ROC delegation should be sent home. Figure skaters, hockey team, curling teams--all of them.

The WADA code treats Protected Persons “differently than other Athletes in certain circumstances based on the understanding that, below a certain age or intellectual capacity [they] may not possess the mental capacity to understand and appreciate the prohibitions against conduct contained in the Code.”

In other words, the code protects young athletes who may have been too naive or unaware that they took a banned substance.

As such, the penalty could be lower than disqualification. There is much that is subjective about that decision — hence the legal battle — but it is possible that even if Valieva tested positive for a banned substance she could maintain her eligibility and just be reprimanded.

That would mean that not only would the Russians keep the gold medal won in the team event (the United States took silver) but Valieva could even remain eligible to compete next week in the individual competition.

We'll see. A ruling should come soon. However, anything that merely reprimands any Russian would be an insult to logic.

Any country throwing PED-charges around is doing it from a glass house, but Russia has taken things to entirely different levels.

https://sports.yahoo.com/russia-at-center-of-another-olympic-doping-controversy-165809029.html

Dan Wetzel with the best writing on this so far…with China, Russia and the IOC in the middle of yet another huge controversy.

Talk about an ethical quandary here.

Edited by caulfield12

Just broke the all-time best figure skating score by roughly two points over defending double gold medalist Yuzuru Hanyu.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/33256776/olympics-2022-know-russian-figure-skater-kamila-valieva-alleged-positive-drug-test

“What happens next?

Several factors make this an extremely difficult case, according to Greene. "This is one of the most complicated situations I've seen and I've done these cases for a long time," he said.

Valieva and the IOC could come to an agreement in which she willingly accepts a sanction, including a warning, Greene said. If not, the case will go to a panel of the Anti-Doping Division of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), which hears urgent cases on-site in Beijing.

CAS will likely rule on two questions in Beijing: Whether to strip the Russians of the team medal and whether Valieva can compete in the singles event.

But the case is further complicated by Valieva's age. Because she is under 16, she is considered a "protected person." This means that her case does not have to be reported. "If she were a normal minor in a case not involving the Olympics and not the greatest in the world at her sport, it probably would never get announced," Greene said.

It also means that she could get a lower sanction. Instead of a four-year ban, Valieva could receive anything from a warning to two years, according to both Jacobs and Greene.

What does this mean for the team competition?

Here's where it gets even trickier. If the Russians were stripped of their gold medal, Team USA would move up to gold, Japan would receive silver and Canada would win bronze. But, according to Greene, there is a possibility that Valieva could lose her medal, but the other five Russian skaters could keep theirs.

ISU rules say that a doping violation committed by a member of a team "in connection with an in-competition test automatically leads to disqualification of the result obtained by the team." However, it is not clear whether Valieva's test was in-competition or not.

How does this affect the women's competition?

If Valieva were disqualified, Russia would lose its chance to become the first country to sweep the women's figure skating podium. Her teammates Anna Shcherbakova and Alexandra Trusova would become the new medal favorites, while Japan's Kaori Sakamoto and Team USA's Alysa Liu could also be contenders.

When will we know?

It's hard to say, but Jacobs expects it to be soon. "I would anticipate that this whole thing will move very quickly," he told ESPN. "If it is actually a positive test that impacts medals, which it seems like it is, I would expect CAS will have a result within 24 hours."

Both WADA and Valieva can appeal CAS decisions. Valieva could be allowed to compete at the Olympics and receive a sanction later on appeal. "Anything that happens at the Olympics won't necessarily be a final decision," said Greene.”

"Miracles can be simply right in front of us, and what Kamila Valieva did is a true miracle. I can explain why this is a miracle. It is a miracle because after she completed her program she won hearts of the whole world," Maria Zakharova said.

"This is phenomenal. We see again, in front of our eyes this clash of good and evil and the desire of evil to make the amount of good as little as possible, so that good would lose its power."       Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Edited by caulfield12

18 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The WADA code treats Protected Persons “differently than other Athletes in certain circumstances based on the understanding that, below a certain age or intellectual capacity [they] may not possess the mental capacity to understand and appreciate the prohibitions against conduct contained in the Code.”

In other words, the code protects young athletes who may have been too naive or unaware that they took a banned substance.

As such, the penalty could be lower than disqualification. There is much that is subjective about that decision — hence the legal battle — but it is possible that even if Valieva tested positive for a banned substance she could maintain her eligibility and just be reprimanded.

That would mean that not only would the Russians keep the gold medal won in the team event (the United States took silver) but Valieva could even remain eligible to compete next week in the individual competition.

Fine, let anyone under 18 stay and compete and send the rest of the team home.

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Fine, let anyone under 18 stay and compete and send the rest of the team home.

Which means Russia finishes 1-2-3 next week in the most high profile event in the games unless the US or Japan can break through...Liu or Chen.

It's more about politics than anything else at this point, unfortunately.

One obvious problem is that China is getting tied in so closely with Russia on everything that they're bordering on being forced to commit troops to the Ukraine confrontation.

Ok, given that you and I and everyone on Earth have a limited and finite amount of time left to live, I'm genuinely curious.

Given that the (snicker) "olympic movement" has been reduced to seeking host sites in authoritarian shitholes,

Given that the competitions as a whole have regressed into a festival of "my country's dopers vs your country's dopers,"

Given that the lack of balls to enforce any sort of rules against individual cheaters and systemic cheaters has degraded the Olympics down to WWF level mental masturbation, 

Given that apart from the "one or two stars" each cycle, only the assholes at NBC and the turds at the ioc are making money,

Given that most of us have never competed in most of these events:

How can you be motivated to squander any time watching any of this shit, instead of actual competitons, such as the NHL/NBA/NFL/European soccer, or even binge watch something actually good on TV?

And again, I ask, because you and I are all on a one-way ticket to our deathbeds, whether its sooner or later.

Thanks in advance.

30 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Ok, given that you and I and everyone on Earth have a limited and finite amount of time left to live, I'm genuinely curious.

Given that the (snicker) "olympic movement" has been reduced to seeking host sites in authoritarian shitholes,

Given that the competitions as a whole have regressed into a festival of "my country's dopers vs your country's dopers,"

Given that the lack of balls to enforce any sort of rules against individual cheaters and systemic cheaters has degraded the Olympics down to WWF level mental masturbation, 

Given that apart from the "one or two stars" each cycle, only the assholes at NBC and the turds at the ioc are making money,

How can you be motivated to squander any time watching any of this shit, instead of actual competitons, such as the NHL/NBA/NFL/European soccer, or even binge watch something actually good on TV?

And again, I ask, because you and I are all on a one-way ticket to our deathbeds, whether its sooner or later.

Thanks in advance.

Remember those “the thrill of victory and agony of defeat” Wide World of Sports intros?

Just the drama of many years of training being consigned to dust is part of it…it’s like rubber necking car accidents, in a way.

Mikaela Schiffrin this Olympics, the redemption arc of Nathan Chen, Lindsay Jacobellis getting her gold 16 years after relaxing too early, Vincent Zhou out for Covid drama, Dan Jansen…maybe the exotic nature of some of these sports you only see once every four years like curling.

A lot of older spectators think it’s now pretty much all about jumping and tricks, almost like a circus…whether it’s snowboarding or ski aerials or figure skating.  The X-Games influence, Millennials, etc.

For my generation, the 1980 Miracle on Ice, the equivalent of Russia beating the US in basketball in 1972...those were defining life moments in a way.

It’s also pretty amazing if you compared figure skating finals from say Katarina Witt’s time to what we’re seeing now.  But this latest Russian scandal threatens to take over and leave almost everyone with a bad taste in their mouths.

Edited by caulfield12

34 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Thanks in advance.

Different strokes for different folks. 

It is every other year.  I personally don't really care for the summer games but the winter games are oddly cool to me.

I watch a little bit of a lot of the odd sports (skeleton, bobsled, ski jumping, Nordic combined) but have now somehow gotten into curling which is the olympic version of bowling so what the hell.

People could say that binge watching Netflix is a waste of time as well and that is much more time consuming.

Edited by Harry Chappas

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/olympics-chinese-mens-short-track-relay-team-advances-final-on-judge-ruling-confusion-132757145.html

I give up.  Between this and Kristen Santos getting wiped out in her final with no consequence.

The Chinese skater hit the left skate of the Canadian skater whose skate was already 100% in contact with the ice...and who was ahead position~wise.

And this is the third controversy already with China in less than a week.

https://www.scmp.com/sport/china/article/3166594/winter-olympics-fans-accuse-chinese-speed-skater-fan-kexin-deliberate

https://mobile.twitter.com/mojo_ca/status/1490682488557031425

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

It is every other year.  I personally don't really care for the summer games but the winter games are oddly cool to me.

I watch a little bit of a lot of the odd sports (skeleton, bobsled, ski jumping, Nordic combined) but have now somehow gotten into curling which is the olympic version of bowling so what the hell.

People could say that binge watching Netflix is a waste of time as well and that is much more time consuming.

Ok, so if I'm understanding you correctly, its the novelty and scarcity angle for you. 

And ya know what? That's as good a reason as any.

However, on a per-minute basis, Id opine that something good on Netflix carries a much higher "eWAR" (entertainment Wins Above Replacement) than the olympics. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

Besides the obvious ones, it is always curling for me, and I have no idea why.  I just can't turn it off.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

1. Remember those “the thrill of victory and agony of defeat” Wide World of Sports intros?

Just the drama of many years of training being consigned to dust is part of it…it’s like rubber necking car accidents, in a way.

2. Mikaela Schiffrin this Olympics, the redemption arc of Nathan Chen, Lindsay Jacobellis getting her gold 16 years after relaxing too early, Vincent Zhou out for Covid drama, Dan Jansen…maybe the exotic nature of some of these sports you only see once every four years like curling.

3. A lot of older spectators think it’s now pretty much all about jumping and tricks, almost like a circus…whether it’s snowboarding or ski aerials or figure skating.  The X-Games influence, Millennials, etc.

4. For my generation, the 1980 Miracle on Ice, the equivalent of Russia beating the US in basketball in 1972...those were defining life moments in a way.

5.It’s also pretty amazing if you compared figure skating finals from say Katarina Witt’s time to what we’re seeing now.  But this latest Russian scandal threatens to take over and leave almost everyone with a bad taste in their mouths.

1. Those moments on WWOS weren't tied to coddling authoritarian regimes and looking the other way as individuals and entire nations cheat.

2. I agree with Rogan, when he says that the Olympics are gross, given that the performers get jack and shit for compensation, while the ioc and nbc get free labor.

3. I can watch all of that, without giving the attention that the ioc craves.

4. Good moments, to be sure. But since then, the games have regressed into a competition of "our dopers vs your dopers." Its akin to a basketball player being allowed to run without dribbling, and the ref just shrugging his shoulders.

5. And thats another gross thing: pre-teens in figure skating and gymnastics competing as "women," vice actual, ya know, WOMEN competing in Witt's day. Add into it the pre-teens and teens being doped up, and its all a bit nauseating.