Universal DH coming to baseball apparently

southsider2k5

On 2/10/2022 at 10:51 AM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I would still be surprised if this goes into effect this year.  Talk about putting NL teams behind the 8-ball.  Ok you have 2 weeks and a diminished FA pool to radically change the structure of your team.  Go get em, Boys!

Some teams with lots of depths will be fine and you can find a couple guys on their roster that should get a bulk of DH at bats (Dodgers always have lots of depth, Mets Cano/Smith, Braves Ozuna etc) and the rebuilding teams don't really matter. Opens up more at bats for a young player for them. Plus, there are still plenty of free agents out there when they are able to spend again (Cruz, Castellanos can get DH/COF at bats, Schwarber, etc).

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I would still be surprised if this goes into effect this year.  Talk about putting NL teams behind the 8-ball.  Ok you have 2 weeks and a diminished FA pool to radically change the structure of your team.  Go get em, Boys!

This was no surprise. Every team is behind the 8 ball anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I feel like many of the bigger name guys who didn't sign yet were guys who were waiting to make sure this existed as it would change their markets. Schwarber, Castellanos, Conforto, Soler. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah and I feel like it was already in the back of owners' minds to have a plan if the DH is added.

Would it have been more on the owners' minds, or on the players' minds?

Markets for players like Castellanos just went way up.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just for discussion purposes, who might we target from Miami for Burger?

They have some interesting young international talent that would be worth some lottery ticket type deals in a trade like this.  Also Victor Mesa is there, and all of the Cubans...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

But it is their own fault they are in this situation. They had a pitcher batting anyway, so any warm body should give them more production. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Would it have been more on the owners' minds, or on the players' minds?

Markets for players like Castellanos just went way up.

I'd say both. I'm more referring to the idea that he said that teams would have to re-structure their rosters and that the DH is not possible for this year. While they weren't building a roster with the idea the DH was definitely coming (ie: throwing money at a DH only player), it's not like they are being caught off guard as it was/is likely to come. They knew it was possible at the beginning of the off-season and there are still plenty of options to add to the mix to DH.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I'd say both. I'm more referring to the idea that he said that teams would have to re-structure their rosters and that the DH is not possible for this year. While they weren't building a roster with the idea the DH was definitely coming (ie: throwing money at a DH only player), it's not like they are being caught off guard as it was/is likely to come. They knew it was possible at the beginning of the off-season and there are still plenty of options to add to the mix to DH.

True.
Also probably helps teams with "blocked" prospects find an avenue toward everyday roles more quickly.

• Like 2