Universal DH coming to baseball apparently

southsider2k5

4 minutes ago, JoeC said:

True.
Also probably helps teams with "blocked" prospects find an avenue toward everyday roles more quickly.

Yeah like I said earlier in the thread, there are teams like the Dodgers, Mets, Braves that have depth where it wouldn't really matter to them. And more at bats for position players on rebuilding teams or adding a cheap veteran to try to trade at the deadline. I feel like you can pretty much look at every NL team and figure out who would get the bulk of the at bats, and that's before additional trades or signings.

Edit: it looks like Roster Resource has already done this with projected lineups (Mous moved from 2B to DH, the terrible defensive Clint Frazier for Cubs DH, etc).

Edited by Bob Sacamano

42 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I feel like many of the bigger name guys who didn't sign yet were guys who were waiting to make sure this existed as it would change their markets. Schwarber, Castellanos, Conforto, Soler. 

Comforto is a much better defender than the other 3. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Comforto is a much better defender than the other 3. 

He’s also a corner outfielder that you can’t really move to another position and he’s coming off a leg injury that also was associated with him having a terrible defensive year. Exactly the kind of guy who will probably spend some time at DH his first year to try to keep him healthy and significant time there if signed on a multi year deal.

21 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Not surprising from Boob, but the 2nd part of this tweet is worded very poorly.  Is Boob saying that team's will no longer get draft pick compensation for elite FAs leaving?  IE: no more qualifying offer? 

Coming back to this point, does that go into effect immediately or next off-season? Just wondering as a poster that also wants Conforto.

28 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Coming back to this point, does that go into effect immediately or next off-season? Just wondering as a poster that also wants Conforto.

I would assume next season. I am sure the guys who got QOs after last season still have that attached. 

From doing some more reading on it, it sounds like under the current proposal teams would still get some sort of draft pick compensation for elite FAs, but no QO would be required. 

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I would assume next season. I am sure the guys who got QOs after last season still have that attached. 

From doing some more reading on it, it sounds like under the current proposal teams would still get some sort of draft pick compensation for elite FAs, but no QO would be required. 

So similar to how the NFL handles it.

The draft lottery is what intrigues me. I think what makes it viable is the expanded playoffs. They want to keep teams from tanking for the #1 pick but if there weren't many playoff spots you would probably see teams tanking anyway - for a spot in the lottery. Now there are enough playoff spots available to lure them away from that.

My preference, though, would have been to not have a lottery but instead have the bottom few teams awarded the top picks from best record down. That would be real incentive IMO.

I wonder what it would be like if no one in the lineup played defense, and no one on the field hit. Like, you have players that focus solely on perfecting their defense and don't even have to worry about swinging a bat, and then just 9 DH's that just need to perfect their swing. Like how football has offense only and defense only players. Obviously this would never happen...you're talking about adding a lot more players to the active roster...but it's fun to think about how it would change the game.

Edited by ScooterMcGee
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I wonder what it would be like if no one in the lineup played defense, and no one on the field hit. Like, you have players that focus solely on perfecting their defense and don't even have to worry about swinging a bat, and then just 9 DH's that just need to perfect their swing. Like how football has offense only and defense only players. Obviously this would never happen...you're talking about adding a lot more players to the active roster...but it's fun to think about how it would change the game.

In theory you don’t even need 9 batters. You could go as low as 4. Hmmm…TA, Grandal, Eloy, Robert, and rinse wash and repeat 9 or ten times every day.

Edit: on second thought I would miss Robert’s defense.

Edited by SpringfieldFan

23 hours ago, SpringfieldFan said:

They want to keep teams from tanking for the #1 pick but if there weren't many playoff spots you would probably see teams tanking anyway - for a spot in the lottery.

I'm personally a fan of a solution for the NHL playoffs proposed by Down Goes Brown.

Basically you count the wins (or won-loss record) starting the day after each team is mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.
So if you're eliminated on August 30th, you tally up the wins starting August 31 for your team. If the next team is eliminated on September 3rd, then you have a 3- (or 4-) game head start on them to tally up more wins.

It incentivizes tanking earlier (and thus still encouraging deadline dealing) maybe, but it will also incentivize teams to actually play to win if they want to get the top picks.

Not sure how you'd do it in MLB where it's based off of winning percentage (as opposed to wins / "points"), but it would give the worst teams a better chance while giving them something to play for.

• Like 2

On 2/11/2022 at 1:26 PM, SpringfieldFan said:

The draft lottery is what intrigues me. I think what makes it viable is the expanded playoffs. They want to keep teams from tanking for the #1 pick but if there weren't many playoff spots you would probably see teams tanking anyway - for a spot in the lottery. Now there are enough playoff spots available to lure them away from that.

My preference, though, would have been to not have a lottery but instead have the bottom few teams awarded the top picks from best record down. That would be real incentive IMO.

I want nothing to do with expanded playoffs but the best record down idea is kind of intriguing.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SpringfieldFan said:

In theory you don’t even need 9 batters. You could go as low as 4. Hmmm…TA, Grandal, Eloy, Robert, and rinse wash and repeat 9 or ten times every day.

Edit: on second thought I would miss Robert’s defense.

True. You could just have the same guy hit all the time and have designated runners on the bases.

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Why yes, I will be starting 9 DH’s 😆

Football became America's #1 only after dropping two way players. Expand lineups and specialize. My guess is offense gets paid better than defense. Chicks love the long ball.