Levine links Sox to Conforto

southsider2k5

I have nothing against Conforto if we are going to spend money on a right fielder.  However...Vaughn, Sheets, Grandal, Eloy, Abreu, and Collins can't all be the DH.  I've stated earlier that I prefer using Vaughn and Sheets in a platoon with late-inning assistance from Engel.  Use the money on other areas of need being pitching, 2nd base, and perhaps a backup catcher if a good defensive catcher can be found.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I have nothing against Conforto if we are going to spend money on a right fielder.  However...Vaughn, Sheets, Grandal, Eloy, Abreu, and Collins can't all be the DH.  I've stated earlier that I prefer using Vaughn and Sheets in a platoon with late-inning assistance from Engel.  Use the money on other areas of need being pitching, 2nd base, and perhaps a backup catcher if a good defensive catcher can be found.

Well luckily 4 of those 6 will still be in the lineup, Sheets can go to AAA to be depth, and who cares about at bats for Collins.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Vaughn, Sheets, Grandal, Eloy, Abreu, and Collins can't play RF either.  Engel shouldn't be counted on to start regularly after last season.  Sox need a legit starting RF.

I am a big fan of Engel having called him a 5 tool player.  Sheets and Vaughn are passable IMO and we need to use them someplace.  They can't all DH.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Well luckily 4 of those 6 will still be in the lineup, Sheets can go to AAA to be depth, and who cares about at bats for Collins.

I care about left-handed catching Collins until we have a suitable replacement and Sheets is not going to be at AAA.  Trades and acquisitions are going to happen in abundance so there is no telling what will happen.  Vaughn will be in high demand and might get moved to help us attain a more balanced roster.  Also, Burger is blocked so might be used to trade for someone's blocked second baseman.

• Haha 2

Question...if we only had the payroll flexibility for ONE of the following, would you prefer to see Comforto in RF and Leury at 2B; or, a Sheets/Vaughn/Engel combo in RF and K. Marte at 2B. Simple question, I understand there are a host of other options/permutations and nothing is absolute. 

3 minutes ago, Flash said:

Question...if we only had the payroll flexibility for ONE of the following, would you prefer to see Comforto in RF and Leury at 2B; or, a Sheets/Vaughn/Engel combo in RF and K. Marte at 2B. Simple question, I understand there are a host of other options/permutations and nothing is absolute. 

Sheets/Vaughn/Engel combo in RF and Marte at 2B and it isn't close IMO.  The question is what do we give up for Marte that doesn't include Vaughn.  I might give up Vaughn in a Marte deal and live with Engel/Sheets.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Flash said:

Just spending money on Conforto > giving up prospects.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Just spending money on Conforto > giving up prospects.

Exactly why I stipulated in Bold payroll flexibility (vs. acquisition costs, prospect capital, length of K, etc.). I'll rephrase the question...notwithstanding any other factors except payroll, which option do you prefer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Exactly why I stipulated in Bold payroll flexibility (vs. acquisition costs, prospect capital, length of K, etc.). I'll rephrase the question...notwithstanding any other factors except payroll, which option do you prefer.

Comforto in RF + any capable cheap vet glove only 2B, or Leury.  I want zero part of a Sheets/Vaughn/Engel RF platoon all season.  Its a disaster waiting to happen IMO.

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

Can I ask why you feel it would be a disaster?

Defensive wise and he’s right.  I think with Robert you can easily hide one shitty defender in the corners, but flanking with him with Eloy & Vaughn/Sheets is a disaster waiting to happen.  No need to get cute here, just get Conforto.  Dude is a perfect fit.

• Like 3

So the same guy who said that the SOX were "checking in on Semien" is now "linking the SOX to Conforto."

Color me dubious, though I'd be pleased if it were to happen.

I'd rather roll dice on Suzuki, and sign Villar (15 HR v RHP last year) for 2B. Figure ~$9M * 4 for a gold glove RFer, and ~$3.5/1 + an option for Villar.

Leaves room to find another SP, and also room to send money along with Kimbrel to have him fuck off, and preserves whatever scant resources are available in the 30th ranked system for other moves.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Flash said:

Can I ask why you feel it would be a disaster?

Sheets has no range and no feel for the OF.  Vaughn is too slow to cover the gaps in RF.  I don’t trust Engel to stay healthy or to be worthy of regular ABs.  Robert already has to make up for Eloy’s deficiencies in LF, and has already had one serious lower body injury.  Expecting/requiring Robert to cover for two terrible corner OFs every single game is too much to ask.  It’s  begging for another injury.  It is far more sensible to sign/acquire a real RF instead of running out a bad 1B, a good 1B/decent LF, and an unreliable 4th OF and pretending as if that is acceptable for division champ looking to make a deep playoff run.  The likelihood of that arrangement turning out well is very very low IMO. 

Edited by Tnetennba
  • Like 2

I've always liked Comforto but primarily for his bat. I'm guessing he could be expected to play better RF then a Sheets/Vaughn/Engel combo but how much so is anyone's guess. I'm less convinced that he would be a significant improvement offensively over the combo platter, as I have high expectations for them in '22. I am however entirely convinced that Marte would be a major improvement over Leury or any other potentially available 2B options. in a vacuum and all things being equal, I'd prefer Marte over Comforto.

• Like 2