Levine links Sox to Conforto

southsider2k5

10 hours ago, Flash said:

I've always liked Comforto but primarily for his bat. I'm guessing he could be expected to play better RF then a Sheets/Vaughn/Engel combo but how much so is anyone's guess. I'm less convinced that he would be a significant improvement offensively over the combo platter, as I have high expectations for them in '22. I am however entirely convinced that Marte would be a major improvement over Leury or any other potentially available 2B options. in a vacuum and all things being equal, I'd prefer Marte over Comforto.

I agree.  Everything I read calls Conforto an above-average bat and passable right fielder.  The Sheets/Vaughn/Engel "combo platter" would be considerably better than "above average" IMO.  The "combo platter" would give us a similar defense as Jermayne Dye.  Not great but I'll take it if we can get a massive upgrade at 2nd and pitching.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I actually think that, if Engel can remain healthy, he could be atleast an average hitter with some pop (and we all knew what he can do defensively). He showed flashes of it in a shortened 2020. Last year was his chance to prove it over a full season but injuries got to him. The problem is, Sox are in no position for tryouts, and they need a lefty. Engel will have to serve as our primary backup OF...at least to start.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, poppysox said:

I have nothing against Conforto if we are going to spend money on a right fielder.  However...Vaughn, Sheets, Grandal, Eloy, Abreu, and Collins can't all be the DH.  I've stated earlier that I prefer using Vaughn and Sheets in a platoon with late-inning assistance from Engel.  Use the money on other areas of need being pitching, 2nd base, and perhaps a backup catcher if a good defensive catcher can be found.

Abreu 1b, Vaughn LF, Eloy DH, Grandal C, Conforto RF, Sheets AAAA, Collins who gives a shit. Easy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

17 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I actually think that, if Engel can remain healthy, he could be atleast an average hitter with some pop (and we all knew what he can do defensively). He showed flashes of it in a shortened 2020. Last year was his chance to prove it over a full season but injuries got to him. The problem is, Sox are in no position for tryouts, and they need a lefty. Engel will have to serve as our primary backup OF...at least to start.

Also relying on Adam Engel to stay healthy for any stretch of time wouks be a mistake. I like him too. He’s a perfect 4th of. But you can’t rely on him as anything more than a bench piece.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

I agree.  Everything I read calls Conforto an above-average bat and passable right fielder.  The Sheets/Vaughn/Engel "combo platter" would be considerably better than "above average" IMO.  The "combo platter" would give us a similar defense as Jermayne Dye.  Not great but I'll take it if we can get a massive upgrade at 2nd and pitching.

Those Sox teams had Scott Podsednik in LF his first three seasons and Dye’s defense was epically bad and value destroying.  He’s a great comp for what we might expect defensively from a Vaughn/Sheets combo but a horrible justification for why they make sense for RF.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Engel has proven he can’t be relied on to stay healthy over the course of  a full season.  He’s an excellent 4th OF and late game defensive replacement for Eloy and should not be used for anything more than that baring injury.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

Yes I don't get the panic.  Eloy puts up an .850OPS in left and the combo platter puts up an .850 OPS in right...and some extra fly balls drop in??  Oh well.  I like the idea of getting Ketel.   I think you can put together an attractive package to get him...Montgomery, Cespedes and Burger?  Then resign Rodon and lets go win the World Series.      

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I mean, you trade Kimbrel for salary relief.  And the thresholds will almost certainly go up once a CBA is agreed to.

He refuses to entertain any thought that Kimbrel is moveable. At least he’s consistent. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Yes I don't get the panic.  Eloy puts up an .850OPS in left and the combo platter puts up an .850 OPS in right...and some extra fly balls drop in??  Oh well.  I like the idea of getting Ketel.   I think you can put together an attractive package to get him...Montgomery, Cespedes and Burger?  Then resign Rodon and lets go win the World Series.      

Three non top 100 prospects isn’t getting you Ketel Marte. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Trade Kimbrel for literally anything. Then watch him become an allstar reliever for another team again...

I think they just have to cut their losses on this one.  Can’t take the move back and need that salary use elsewhere.  If he rebounds elsewhere so be it.  He won’t be closing here and it’s dumb to pay that much for him to fail in a different role. 

The rest of the offseason should be pretty simple IMO:

• Sign Conforto to a 4/$80M deal
  • Trade Kimbrel to the Phillies for Marchan & Alvarado
  • Trade Burke, Burger, Sosa, & Adolfo to the A’s for Bassitt & Kemp
  • Trade Mercedes to the Marlins for a lottery ticket
  • Sign Ryan Tepera to a 2/$10M deal

Roster would be under the luxury tax and would look like this:

• Lineup: 1) Robert, CF | 2) Moncada, 3B# | 3) Abreu, 1B |4)  Jimenez, LF | 5) Conforto, RF* | 6) Anderson, SS | 7) Grandal, C# | 8) Vaughn, DH | 9) Kemp, 2B*
  • Bench: IF) Mendick | OF) Engel | UT) Garcia# | BC) Marchan#
  • Rotation: 1) Lynn | 2) Giolito | 3) Cease | 4) Bassitt | 5) Kopech
  • Bullpen: CL) Hendriks | SU) Bummer* | SU) Graveman | MR) Crochet* | MR) Tepera | MR) Alvarado* | LR) Lopez | LR) Keuchel*

That roster is absolutely stacked and we’d actually have some depth in AAA with guys like Sheets, Collins, Gonzalez, Yogurt, The Basabe, Stiever, Lambert, Bilous, McClure, Burr, Foster, Severino, etc.

Kemp is the biggest wild card there, but 2B upgrades should be easily attainable at the deadline.  And I’m sure people will dislike the Phillies & A’s trades I’m proposing, but I think they allow us to build the most complete roster without disrupting the future too much.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

I really think those advocating for a Sheets/Vaughn/Engel “combo platter” are ignoring how catastrophically bad that platoon would be on defense for an entire season.  There is a possibility they could be above average offensively, but we are talking Daniel Palka bad defensively.  I don’t know Conforto’s game all that well but I have to believe his defense makes up for whatever slight edge the “combo platter” might have at the plate.  

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The rest of the offseason should be pretty simple IMO:

• Sign Conforto to a 4/$80M deal
  • Trade Kimbrel to the Phillies for Marchan & Alvarado
  • Trade Burke, Burger, Sosa, & Adolfo to the A’s for Bassitt & Kemp
  • Trade Mercedes to the Marlins for a lottery ticket
  • Sign Ryan Tepera to a 2/$10M deal

Roster would be under the luxury tax and would look like this:

• Lineup: 1) Robert, CF | 2) Moncada, 3B# | 3) Abreu, 1B |4)  Jimenez, LF | 5) Conforto, RF* | 6) Anderson, SS | 7) Grandal, C# | 8) Vaughn, DH | 9) Kemp, 2B*
  • Bench: IF) Mendick | OF) Engel | UT) Garcia# | BC) Marchan#
  • Rotation: 1) Lynn | 2) Giolito | 3) Cease | 4) Bassitt | 5) Kopech
  • Bullpen: CL) Hendriks | SU) Bummer* | SU) Graveman | MR) Crochet* | MR) Tepera | MR) Alvarado* | LR) Lopez | LR) Keuchel*

That roster is absolutely stacked and we’d actually have some depth in AAA with guys like Sheets, Collins, Gonzalez, Yogurt, The Basabe, Stiever, Lambert, Bilous, McClure, Burr, Foster, Severino, etc.

Kemp is the biggest wild card there, but 2B upgrades should be easily attainable at the deadline.  And I’m sure people will dislike the Phillies & A’s trades I’m proposing, but I think they allow us to build the most complete roster without disrupting the future too much.

If they could pull this off it would be perfect IMO.  Addresses the two biggest needs with good fits.  Balances the roster fairly well.  I would be ecstatic to roll into the season with this roster. 

• Like 1