2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

14 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Yeah - that actually means after they make some other moves they will end up with around 40M in cap space this year - so they will do something this year (maybe not a day 1 big signing - although they could).  But they will even have crazier cap space next year. But I do think we see them likely sign a wideout + olineman for decent money.  

Maybe even trade for Amari Cooper or Metcalf as I think the cost for both of them would be cheap (if they can further find some ways to get some extra draft capital).  Cooper likely waived, but it might be you don't want to do a free for all and instead trade something really low for them.  

They have cap room but they also have a ton of contracts expiring. It looks good on paper but filling that many holes essentially eliminates them from making a big splash

4 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

They have cap room but they also have a ton of contracts expiring. It looks good on paper but filling that many holes essentially eliminates them from making a big splash

You gotta fill a couple of them from the draft this year and next. That’s all there is to it.

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Not when they spend most of that on level 2/3 guys in free agency. They don't really have that many big guys expiring. Daniels and Robinson are the only good players expiring and Robinson sucked last year anyway (injuries etc).  Getting an extra $6 or $7M in space basically means you can go sign a FA center plus you get a 2nd rounder this year to address oline/db/wideout.  

I also agree with Ace - we might see Bears move back with their earlier pick and see if they can get a 3rd rounder too.  And I still think we might see Quinn or someone else go.  

But Bears also now have capacity for a big max type of signing next off-season.  So while I would have liked more - cap wise this was a really good deal in the long-run and they got increased flexibility in the immediate horizon (in terms of a nice 2nd rounder + some extra room this year to help set things up better for Fields development).  

More than anything - the tone Poles made here makes so much sense. It tells me they aren't trying to do some lame patchwork rebuild attempt...they really are taking a stepped approach and I presume we will see this offseason that whole approach will be built on putting the right pieces around FIelds while doing a patchwork job on the defense (but while presumably trying to find some more young playmakers who can grow into better roles on the defense).  

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

More than anything - the tone Poles made here makes so much sense. It tells me they aren't trying to do some lame patchwork rebuild attempt...they really are taking a stepped approach and I presume we will see this offseason that whole approach will be built on putting the right pieces around FIelds while doing a patchwork job on the defense (but while presumably trying to find some more young playmakers who can grow into better roles on the defense).  

The only issue with this approach is that they are wasting the rookie QB contract flexibility.  By the time they sort this out Feilds will be expensive if he is any good.

One other thing - this means Gipson gets a shot to show what he's worth.  He can either take advantage and Bears find a nice, cost effective fit or they know in a year they have more work to do in that department. But it creates opportunity for a potentially ascending player to show that.  I absolutely think with this move, Quinn also has to be on the move.  

42 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The only issue with this approach is that they are wasting the rookie QB contract flexibility.  By the time they sort this out Feilds will be expensive if he is any good.

They'll be hitting the FA market in Fields's year 3 pretty heavily. The trick is to get him to break out by then and to have a few other successful draft picks around him.

41 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I get it - but I said before with Mitch - they put the all-in chips one year too early. I think the way Poles is doing it is better - if Fields takes the right steps, you are in a position where you can go all in during year 3/ year 4 of the rookie deal and than year 5 you have the option on the rookie contract which still gives you a ton of flexibility. 

What the Bears did by going all-in a year too early was put all the chips in and create a situation that if they were wrong, they would have almost no window and have to do this type of restart. Instead - if Fields doesn't look the part and make real strides in year 2 - you have massive cap space but can actually take another shot at QB (knowing you have already put a stronger foundation under whomever the new QB, which just increases your chance at success this go-around while maintaining maximum flexibility).  

I basically think Poles is designing this where he'll have a ton of flexibility to build a great team around a young QB (but knowing he essentially has Fields and than 1-2 years from now can take one more shot).  

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

By the way - for those comparing the Miller to Mack trade; Bears actually got more based upon the draft chart (not saying its perfect):

Pick 48 = 420 points. 6th round pick is worth 5-18 points (depending on where they end up picking next year)

Broncos got pick 64 and 96.

64 = 270 points
96 = 116 points

2022 NFL Trade Value Chart

More importantly,  the Bears got rid of the entire contract and freed up almost 30 million in 2023.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

More importantly,  the Bears got rid of the entire contract and freed up almost 30 million in 2023.

Yep.  Man I've been talking about trading Mack since last off-season, so refreshing what this move showed from Poles.  Now I'm really excited to see what else he has up his sleeve.  I should also point out - I think this is a good move for the Chargers to. A true win/win trade.  

It was just really hard to commit Aaron Donald money to a guy who was just very good, but also inconsistently that.

I was hoping with eating all the guaranteed money we’d get a first for Mack but this is about what I figured.

I doubt it’s a fill year down, it’s just a difficult year with limited space and picks.

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

It was just really hard to commit Aaron Donald money to a guy who was just very good, but also inconsistently that.

I was hoping with eating all the guaranteed money we’d get a first for Mack but this is about what I figured.

I doubt it’s a fill year down, it’s just a difficult year with limited space and picks.

I don't think the Bears ate anything.  Chargers took everything on. Bears just have $24M of dead space (but they picked up $6M of cap space) tied to the signing bonus they gave (whenever that was).  

8 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don't think the Bears ate anything.  Chargers took everything on. Bears just have $24M of dead space (but they picked up $6M of cap space) tied to the signing bonus they gave (whenever that was).  

I guess I’m saying the dead cap space is “eating” it as they have to realize all of the guaranteed money that would have been spread out.

Isnt all Mack’s deal base salary now? It’s a much easier contract on the chargers than it was on the Bears. I hoped that would make it less of an issue, but yeah not many teams with $20 mil in space for one guy.

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

I guess I’m saying the dead cap space is “eating” it as they have to realize all of the guaranteed money that would have been spread out.

Isnt all Mack’s deal base salary now? It’s a much easier contract on the chargers than it was on the Bears. I hoped that would make it less of an issue, but yeah not many teams with $20 mil in space for one guy.

I believe Mack's actual contract was pretty backloaded so Charger will be paying him quite a bit next year and following year. But Chargers are really the team on the hook...but you are right, Bears are accepting some dead cap (but from a cash perspective they did nothing).  Chargers are on the hook for his actual contract so they are not really getting cap relief based upon how Bears structured this.

Bears having all this dead cap space goes back to how they kept kicking the can so they could sign people like Graham and others who didn't move the needle.  I can't get over how many times Pace made those moves that robbed from tomorrow for mediocre players...this is just so freaking refreshing and I am curious to see what else they could pull. 

I am kind of hoping they can somehow get a final round or future pick for Jackson/Goldman too. If they could - now Bears could use one of those picks to try and get Cooper (vs. trying to get him in free agency). I don't love Cooper but for Bears to get him I think it becomes more cap friendly as they don't have to worry about signing bonus and just get the contract and if at any point they don't want him basically ZERO dead cap space.  

50 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I believe Mack's actual contract was pretty backloaded so Charger will be paying him quite a bit next year and following year. But Chargers are really the team on the hook...but you are right, Bears are accepting some dead cap (but from a cash perspective they did nothing).  Chargers are on the hook for his actual contract so they are not really getting cap relief based upon how Bears structured this.

Bears having all this dead cap space goes back to how they kept kicking the can so they could sign people like Graham and others who didn't move the needle.  I can't get over how many times Pace made those moves that robbed from tomorrow for mediocre players...this is just so freaking refreshing and I am curious to see what else they could pull. 

I am kind of hoping they can somehow get a final round or future pick for Jackson/Goldman too. If they could - now Bears could use one of those picks to try and get Cooper (vs. trying to get him in free agency). I don't love Cooper but for Bears to get him I think it becomes more cap friendly as they don't have to worry about signing bonus and just get the contract and if at any point they don't want him basically ZERO dead cap space.  

I’d be surprised if Goldman was traded, fully expect he’s cut. Just hard to commit to a guy who was mulling not coming back last year. Would be a disaster to trade for him the he retire

Both of those tweets make total sense. I like Tarik and hope he can recover but they can’t pay him that sort of money. Would be fine if he came back for the cheap but wouldn’t be shocked to see Chiefs or Rams or someone like that pick him up on the cheap. 

• Kyyle23 changed the title to 2022 NFL Season thread
  • knightni changed the title to 2022-23 NFL Season thread
  • bmags locked this topic