2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

1 hour ago, bmags said:

As much as I do respect the niners D, I’m extremely bummed right now. This is a John shoop offense. Fields looks like nothing you worry about. 10 guys in box.

The coaching staff to date excited me because they were following thru in things they said. Getsy has not today. 

But the niners d is exceptional. It is really really good.

What a turnaround.

Fields looked much better when he had more than 2 seconds to read a defense. That first half gameplan looked like the game against the Browns last year. That broken play turned touchdown seemed to wake up Fields as he played a perfect game after that. 

Tough to really say anything about this game with the weather the way it was, but what I did see was some tenacity on defense and thats gonna keep this team in a lot of games. 

Packers look like poo. Hopefully Lazard is out another week, but even with him, they could have some issues. 

I certainly wouldn’t want to watch games in the rain on a regular basis, but it was pretty cool to be out there today. I’ve been to hot September games, freezing cold December games but never a torrential downpour. 

The comeback made the soak worth it. Way to adjust at halftime. 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 3:09 PM, scs787 said:

Ah yes, the separation argument. You know who got a ton of separation last year? Byron Pringle. Like top 5 in the league I wanna say.

Just wanted to bring that back. To show him some love. 

Yes, the argument makes a ton of sense considering the argument being made is that Robinson is washed, doesn't deserve the money he wanted, etc. Or is the argument shifting that having separation actually means you're doing worse?

Robinson was getting 3.4 years of separation according to Statcast, Kupp 1.4, yet Kupp was seeing a whole lot more targets. Robinson is not the problem in Game 1. 

Continue on...

PS Didn't know Pringle was seeing usage, or had similar roles to Robinson or Kupp prior to joining the Bears. I kept hearing Kelce, Hill, Watkins, Robinson, etc. I guess 67 total touches amount to that these days though.

2 hours ago, nitetrain8601 said:

Yes, the argument makes a ton of sense considering the argument being made is that Robinson is washed, doesn't deserve the money he wanted, etc. Or is the argument shifting that having separation actually means you're doing worse?

Robinson was getting 3.4 years of separation according to Statcast, Kupp 1.4, yet Kupp was seeing a whole lot more targets. Robinson is not the problem in Game 1. 

Continue on...

PS Didn't know Pringle was seeing usage, or had similar roles to Robinson or Kupp prior to joining the Bears. I kept hearing Kelce, Hill, Watkins, Robinson, etc. I guess 67 total touches amount to that these days though.

I'm not sure what angle you're coming at here. I've been a big Pringle supporter and think he can breakout because he has the ability to create separation.  

I think my post may have come across a bit snarky with the first line. 

Obviously Pringle didn't show anything today, much like Robinson, but I think both have good seasons. 

...or at least I hope so when it comes to Pringle. 

Outside of the silly wiping the field penalty,  the Bears had just penalty the whole game. That's such a breath of fresh air. 

San Fran has one of the better Defensive lines in football and while they certainly got pressure,  the OL only gave up 2 sacks. I thought Jenkins played really well while he was out there(he was splitting time with Patrick) . Jones was not tooooo shabby vs Bosa. 

Cole Kmet putting up a goose egg bummed me out but he was largely needed in protection. Hopefully as the line comes together,  Cole gets used more in the passing game. 

This defense was tenacious.  All the talks over the offseason really showed up on game day. Fingers crossed that EJax INT is a sign of things to come with him. I like Blackson,  but Watts looked a guy who is gonna take a starter role and run with it, I like what I saw out of him a lot. 

If Green Bay played like they did yesterday, its a totally winnable game for the Bears. 

I haven't really noticed in the past, but I guess tomorrow starts another wave of free agent pick ups. Something about after week 1 any veteran signed doesn't have to be fully guaranteed or something like that.....A lot of intriguing guys still out there at both CB and WR. I'd still very much like to see Will Fuller, even if he does get hurt. 

Dominique Robinson graded out super well. 

Week 1 is always a rough one to make predictions on - though cowboys may really be in for some pain with prescott out.

But I am excited for Bears pass rush after what they showed vs some good tackles. It also seems we came out relatively unscathed.

On offensive line side, I guess it actually graded out well with some big improvement in the second half. WHile we face a lot of second tier QBs, we face a lot of great d-lines. Packers aren't as good as San Fran, but probably a better secondary. Hopefully we just see them get a little better each week, especially running. But san francisco really is a great defense.

just because I was curious, I was able to find the actual rule that was enforced. That popular tweet sharing that it should have just been a warning was because the guy explicitly searched "towels". It makes sense, just a fluke thing where you don't play often in crazy weather like this and you probably aren't thinking about towels as an advantage since players have those on them a lot.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2022-nfl-rulebook/#article-5-foreign-articles

So Lovie Smith had a team with a solid 4th quarter lead, had a 3rd down and 1 or 2 where a first down probably ends the game, ran straight ahead with Rex Burkhead for a loss of 2 when they have a younger guy who is supposed to be a more promising big back, and then punted on 4th and 3. This gave the Colts the ball back and they proceeded to eventually tie the game and the whole thing ended in a tie.

This felt really, really familiar. 

25 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So Lovie Smith had a team with a solid 4th quarter lead, had a 3rd down and 1 or 2 where a first down probably ends the game, ran straight ahead with Rex Burkhead for a loss of 2 when they have a younger guy who is supposed to be a more promising big back, and then punted on 4th and 3. This gave the Colts the ball back and they proceeded to eventually tie the game and the whole thing ended in a tie.

This felt really, really familiar. 

Lovie always playing safe 

Jaylon Johnson was not targeted once in 27 coverage snaps. That's tied for the most snaps without being targeted over the last 3 years. 

I still remember Kupp saying JJ was one of the toughest guys he's went against. 

This secondary can be reallllly good if the rookies play well and EJax is back. 

17 hours ago, RichieZisk said:

Interesting article about Bears ownership and NFL rules.   NFL is the only league that does not allow corporate ownership or private equity investment.

https://www.sportico.com/business/finance/2022/nfl-succession-plans-chicago-bears-mccaskey-1234687987/

this was wild. Seems like the dam will eventually break as valuations rise. Going to be difficult for any one person to buy-in and teams to get the best $$$ amount possible.

• knightni changed the title to 2022-23 NFL Season thread
  • bmags locked this topic