2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

10 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

He doesn’t really have a lot of time to throw the ball either. Give him a better offensive line and some weapons on offense and time to develop. Lol

So just so I’m clear, are we giving him until year three of four or possibly five to be something?

Also, other thoughts on Rodgers. Sure, he owns the Bears. He has one super bowl ring and they make the playoffs consistently, but they aren’t that great compared to other elite franchises that have made the super bowl more regularly. The Packers also will eventually have to experience some failure at the quarterback position and not get as lucky as they have with the tenure of Favre and Rodgers.

7 minutes ago, The Beast said:

So just so I’m clear, are we giving him until year three of four or possibly five to be something?

Also, other thoughts on Rodgers. Sure, he owns the Bears. He has one super bowl ring and they make the playoffs consistently, but they aren’t that great compared to other elite franchises that have made the super bowl more regularly. The Packers also will eventually have to experience some failure at the quarterback position and not get as lucky as they have with the tenure of Favre and Rodgers.

Giving him a better offensive line and better weapons on offense will surely help speed up the process. They should have enough cap space this next offseason to do some things.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Does he look bad or does his lack of explosive talent at WR make him bad? That is what I am trying to figure out.

I’m sure it’s both, but some of the plays he made tonight were horrible for a professional.  The past the line of scrimmage play was fun bad.  He also desperately needs to learn to throw a ball away instead of taking a huge loss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I’m sure it’s both, but some of the plays he made tonight were horrible for a professional.  The past the line of scrimmage play was fun bad.  He also desperately needs to learn to throw a ball away instead of taking a huge loss.

He needs to understand that you can’t just be in the pocket and turn your body the other way when you get under pressure. He’s going to end up fumbling or getting completely blindsided and hurt doing that. It might have worked against the 49ers but if other teams defend him like the Packers did, he is going to be in for a world of hurt.

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Giving him a better offensive line and better weapons on offense will surely help speed up the process. They should have enough cap space this next offseason to do some things.

I guess I am trying to understand who they need to upgrade on the offensive line. At wide receiver they desperately need to, they didn’t address it well enough in the draft or in free agency. The guys they did sign aren’t making plays, so I hope they focus more on that than the offensive line.

This is the running joke of the bears.  They are rebuilding, and still the fans cant let the rebuilding team figure out what is there and what isn't.  Its the 2nd game of tearing it down and people have declared a 2nd year QB dead.  You have to develop him and see what happens.  If it fails in a year or so and he shows no improvement then sure whatever.  But my god everyone bitches about not have a QB then the minute they try to develop one you don't have the appetite to watch the warts and struggles.  This season is not going to be a winner no matter what you think.  Let it play out and see if they can get better.  What works, what doesn't.  This is staff and personnel as well. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Fields has one legit forward completion to a WR tonight (other was a flea flicker). He looks so bad.

Good news is if he plays a few more games like the first two weeks it makes things easy for the brass….he has to start showing some real growth and fast. 

1 hour ago, southsideirish71 said:

This is the running joke of the bears.  They are rebuilding, and still the fans cant let the rebuilding team figure out what is there and what isn't.  Its the 2nd game of tearing it down and people have declared a 2nd year QB dead.  You have to develop him and see what happens.  If it fails in a year or so and he shows no improvement then sure whatever.  But my god everyone bitches about not have a QB then the minute they try to develop one you don't have the appetite to watch the warts and struggles.  This season is not going to be a winner no matter what you think.  Let it play out and see if they can get better.  What works, what doesn't.  This is staff and personnel as well. 

No, the good ones usually emerge within 25 starts. Patience is overrated. 

It would be interesting to know where the Bears Packers "rivalry" now stands in comparison to other rivalries in American sports in the amount of utter and complete ownage they have had over us. For the better part of the last 30 years (except for that brief window during Lovie Smith's first years), they have completely dominated the Bears. It's an anomaly that the Packers have had 2 Hall of Fame QBs back to back while we have had garbage QBs in that time span...they will eventually have to struggle finding their next franchise QB, they know this, that's why they refused to let Rodgers walk but he's definitely in his last years. We still don't know what we have in Fields and we need to be patient but so far, it's not looking good. 😞

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I wouldn't be mad or frustrated with a second half breakout. 

I am disappointed that they're still going with 11 throw games.

I have to remind myself - they also ran very few plays.  Packers totally owned them yesterday and it showed. I kind of think the good thing with Fields is - we know what he needs to do to show us. It is one thing if the wideouts aren't getting open, but we got to see his decision making show up and his special play ability to be there regularly. If we see enough flashes of that - you feel good (regardless of drops etc). 

If we don't - than you know you don't have anything that special and you move on, cause you can't waste your time with mediocre at the QB position.  I will also notate the first few weeks - I'll give some benefit of the doubt, but after that, you got to go make plays and regularly.  Show you can put the team on your back despite sub-part talent.  

I hope Velus comes back soon  and is good. Supposedly he's the guy Fields kinda hand picked as the guy he wants to throw the ball to. 

Not to spark back up this debate but the 3 guys ahead of him at USC that made him transfer are still looking pretty damn good(London, St. Brown, and Pittman Jr.) 

• knightni changed the title to 2022-23 NFL Season thread
  • bmags locked this topic