2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

5 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

All Fields needs is better receivers to overthrow.

I felt like he mostly made the right reads when he did throw the ball on Sunday, he just overthrew guys. Which is something he didn't struggle with as much before.

He seems super hesitant to throw the ball and is holding on for way too long. You can't do that in the NFL. He's taken huge steps backwards. 

11 hours ago, scs787 said:

I feel like maybe this is sarcasm? Lol. 

I honestly think your criticism is sort of like hearing "run the touchdown play" though. What did we say all offseason? Get fields comfortable, give him roll outs, on the move. Not the "our passing game is our run game" timing throws as the key part of the offense. Despite giving fields plenty of favorable throwing situations he keeps failing in those. I don't see the solution being quick timing plays which has been his biggest struggle prior to that.

It really is on him at this point. Cooper Rush looked 100x more competent.

12 hours ago, scs787 said:

I feel like maybe this is sarcasm? Lol. 

I love your positivity in the nba and nfl threads but it just kind of reads like you are expecting Getsy to make Fields into Rodgers by giving him short slant routes more.  Rodgers is on another plane, he see things in the game and on the field that we can’t expect Fields to do.  You can hope for it but especially right now we are nowhere near that type of recognition and production from fields 

The funny thing is ex-players constantly talk about the NFL legislating hitting out of football. They even talk about knowing to say it was a different body part so they can continue playing when they “get their bells rung”. The same guys will now be going after the league and Dolphins for letting Tua play.

A lot of these injuries come down to the players having respect for one another and not diving at knees, twisting legs, slamming guys to the ground, turning into missiles to deliver  head shots, etc.

That looked really bad for Tua, though. Hopefully he’s ok.

I haven't really followed along other than how did he get back in the game Sunday and then how is he cleared 3 f'ing days later. 

Sunday's events were not a mystery and the player can no longer pretend it's his leg that is hurt and not his head.  There is protocol testing even if there is a maybe on a  concussion.  The testing may not have happened to allow him back in the game but it should have happened after the game and certainly prior to last night.

In today's day and age this is really a WTF moment

11 hours ago, Middle Buffalo said:

The funny thing is ex-players constantly talk about the NFL legislating hitting out of football. They even talk about knowing to say it was a different body part so they can continue playing when they “get their bells rung”. The same guys will now be going after the league and Dolphins for letting Tua play.

A lot of these injuries come down to the players having respect for one another and not diving at knees, twisting legs, slamming guys to the ground, turning into missiles to deliver  head shots, etc.

That looked really bad for Tua, though. Hopefully he’s ok.

I don't blame the lineman much there. It ended up bad, but he swung him around and it just ended up in a bad scenario. He didn't twist him and put his weight on top, just a rough play.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I don't blame the lineman much there. It ended up bad, but he swung him around and it just ended up in a bad scenario. He didn't twist him and put his weight on top, just a rough play.

I also don't think that ends up nearly as badly for Tua if he didn't already have a concussion (which it's pretty obvious that he did)

2 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

I haven't really followed along other than how did he get back in the game Sunday and then how is he cleared 3 f'ing days later. 

Sunday's events were not a mystery and the player can no longer pretend it's his leg that is hurt and not his head.  There is protocol testing even if there is a maybe on a  concussion.  The testing may not have happened to allow him back in the game but it should have happened after the game and certainly prior to last night.

In today's day and age this is really a WTF moment

Supposedly the NFL is supposed to have an independent expert do this evaluation, including during games, so that the team cannot pressure a guy to get back into a game. I don't think it's a stretch to say that a truly independent expert would have seen the way Tua got up last weekend and said "nope", so either the person is not as independent as hoped or is not an expert. Whichever it is, yeah this isn't ok.

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I also don't think that ends up nearly as badly for Tua if he didn't already have a concussion (which it's pretty obvious that he did)

The other part of this is that "Second impact syndrome" was trending on Twitter last night, when a person takes a second hit before their brain has time to heal it is likely to do much more damage and that's the part the post above is talking about when it says it can be fatal. 

On 9/26/2022 at 9:29 AM, bmags said:

The Broncos had 330 yards just passing on the seahawks, over 430 yards of offense in that game. They were bad vs. houston and bad vs. 49ers, who have a very good defense. 

Their run defense looks bad but their pass defense so far looks pretty good. The colts actually had receivers in that game.

The Texans defense is not good 

Watching this Bears game, my confidence in Fields has been restored but he’s far from a finished product. His touch needs to be better, especially on the short stuff.

The protection has been horrible all game. Lucas Patrick and Sam Mustipher were atrocious all game. Back to back crucial drops by the receivers, not using Kmet in the red zone,  the play calling has no balls on offense. Let your QB make a play. 

• knightni changed the title to 2022-23 NFL Season thread
  • bmags locked this topic