2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Fields played alright besides the missed layup for the TD and throwing the ball at the lineman's helmet. Even the best WR in the group fucked up royally in the biggest moment of the game today. Fields' receivers are all terrible. 

That Griffin pass should have been an easy touchdown. I’d like to know what the play was supposed to do when the ball got batted down, what was the intent of the three receivers to the right standing there?

I wish they would have tried a Montgomery toss or RPO and threw to anyone open on the last set of downs. Or they could have run a play like this (the 9:04 mark).

Velus Jones needs to sit and not return punts, that would be great. Make that kid learn before he fumbles again.

Lastly, we really have to hope that Fields improves with an actual roster next year, because his stats aren’t going to cut it when he has an actual line and WR core next year. He has athleticism and can throw the ball, but it is painful watching him make a completion right now. It better be a personnel issue.

10 minutes ago, The Beast said:

That Griffin pass should have been an easy touchdown. I’d like to know what the play was supposed to do when the ball got batted down, what was the intent of the three receivers to the right standing there?

I wish they would have tried a Montgomery toss or RPO and threw to anyone open on the last set of downs. Or they could have run a play like this (the 9:04 mark).

Velus Jones needs to sit and not return punts, that would be great. Make that kid learn before he fumbles again.

Lastly, we really have to hope that Fields improves with an actual roster next year, because his stats aren’t going to cut it when he has an actual line and WR core next year. He has athleticism and can throw the ball, but it is painful watching him make a completion right now. It better be a personnel issue.

I definitely thought they had enough time to run the ball especially towards the sideline. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

Is there a bigger whimp than Luke Getsy calling plays right now?

When he was hired, a lot of people who can't believe the hire now  were doing cartwheels. It would help if they had a better OL, and you would be able to see what you really have in Fields.The wide open gimme TD he missed hurt, but I don't know how much of the other bad stuff you can give him a lot of blame when he's basically lucky not to get knocked down every play.

Edited by Dick Allen

The play calling was good last night. The bears pretty much dominated and lost on some really bad player execution. I thought fields looked pretty good minus some missed throws. Offense is now running through him which is good.

The talent level is really, really bad on offense. “Call the plays that work with no protection and where players that can’t win one on ones get open and then when they do are hit with the ball and don’t drop it!”

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

The play calling was good last night. The bears pretty much dominated and lost on some really bad player execution. I thought fields looked pretty good minus some missed throws. Offense is now running through him which is good.

The talent level is really, really bad on offense. “Call the plays that work with no protection and where players that can’t win one on ones get open and then when they do are hit with the ball and don’t drop it!”

The whole “he missed a wide open receiver” stuff with zero context that he is running for his life every time this stuff happens is tiresome.  I don’t know that he is gonna be good or bad but I have seen signs of a good qb and watching him get pummeled every week is really discouraging and honestly Poles should be ashamed of putting him on the firing line like he has 

Teams are bringing pressure on Fields because they know he can't read defenses and he's indecisive. Getting better offensive lineman isn't going to fix that.  Teams are going to continue to bring pressure until Fields learns to get the ball out quicker and deliver an accurate pass to the hot receiver.  I'm not sure that will ever happen because his first move is to take his eyes off the field. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tony said:

This is very unlike me, but I honestly don't know how you can judge Fields accurately with this collection of offensive talent. What young QB succeeds in these conditions? Truly? 

I don't know if he's going to be anything in this league. But I don't know if anyone can truly know at this point, given the "tools" he has to work with around him

This here. The Bears roster is trash.

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Teams are bringing pressure on Fields because they know he can't read defenses and he's indecisive. Getting better offensive lineman isn't going to fix that.  Teams are going to continue to bring pressure until Fields learns to get the ball out quicker and deliver an accurate pass to the hot receiver.  I'm not sure that will ever happen because his first move is to take his eyes off the field. 

They showed a stat the holds the ball longer then anyone in the NFL.

He runs on pass plays which skews the run/pass balance.

His receivers are absolute trash.

His line has some major holes in it.

He can't go through his progressions quickly enough.

He can be a fine QB with some work which is what this year is for.  Sad he has no receiving talent around him.

I think the OC is a bozo.

2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

They showed a stat the holds the ball longer then anyone in the NFL.

He runs on pass plays which skews the run/pass balance.

His receivers are absolute trash.

His line has some major holes in it.

He can't go through his progressions quickly enough.

He can be a fine QB with some work which is what this year is for.  Sad he has no receiving talent around him.

I think the OC is a bozo.

They should call the plays that work with this and get 400 yards of offense against a defense with a strong front 7.

Get a grip guys. It's a rebuilding year. They've been borrowing from the future for years, the check has come. It's a shame they didn't get more out of that, but we'll be better off.

• Fire 1

"how did our talent get so bad after years of a shortage of draft picks, especially high draft picks, and converting high salaries to signing bonuses on our declining, older veterans, and a year in which we had the third fewest players on contract after the year, and then no first round pick?"

It's a mystery.

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

They should call the plays that work with this and get 400 yards of offense against a defense with a strong front 7.

Get a grip guys. It's a rebuilding year. They've been borrowing from the future for years, the check has come. It's a shame they didn't get more out of that, but we'll be better off.

Exactly, fire everyone.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, bmags said:

If it came off as I was critical of Fields that was not my point.  Other than holding the ball to long I have no problem with him.  He holds the ball to long because the receivers suck and are never open but he doesn't seem to go through the progression quick enough and hopefully that changes. .  

Just now, Harry Chappas said:

If it came off as I was critical of Fields that was not my point.  Other than holding the ball to long I have no problem with him.  He holds the ball to long because the receivers suck and are never open but he doesn't seem to go through the progression quick enough and hopefully that changes. .  

No I think it is all of that, but also with all the problems you listed what are the good plays to call? Teams are crashing the edges to prevent roll outs, so you can't move the pocket easily. But our center has the strength of like, me, and so our interior still collapses within seconds. 

Despite that, against a good front, I thought we moved the ball easily. It was a very weird game to fail that badly in the red zone, but also case in point of what gets easier when you have some talented big, physical receiver and an interior that isn't getting pushed back to score TDs.

7 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

He doesn’t trust them and frankly why should he?

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

No I think it is all of that, but also with all the problems you listed what are the good plays to call? Teams are crashing the edges to prevent roll outs, so you can't move the pocket easily. But our center has the strength of like, me, and so our interior still collapses within seconds. 

Despite that, against a good front, I thought we moved the ball easily. It was a very weird game to fail that badly in the red zone, but also case in point of what gets easier when you have some talented big, physical receiver and an interior that isn't getting pushed back to score TDs.

So the run up the gut towards the teeth of their defense with Herbert on 4th and 1 was absolutely foolish, but on the replay from the back of the end zone there was Mustipher on the ground before the runner was anywhere near him and three defenders running into the spot he vacated.  Honestly they have to make a change this week because he is that bad every week 

The tough question with Fields this whole year is going to be whether you trust him with a better roster next year. The Bears seem likely to wind up with a top 10 pick high enough that there will be a QB prospect on the board if they want to try again. 

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

So the run up the gut towards the teeth of their defense with Herbert on 4th and 1 was absolutely foolish, but on the replay from the back of the end zone there was Mustipher on the ground before the runner was anywhere near him and three defenders running into the spot he vacated.  Honestly they have to make a change this week because he is that bad every week 

I really hope they just put schofield at guard, but willing to see Reiff over Borom too. 

On 10/14/2022 at 11:46 AM, Kyyle23 said:

no Idea who this guy is but if that’s the real offer then sorry but we will not be seeing DJ Moore in a bears uniform lol

I think they are probably right that they could get a first in the offseason after teams know what their draft position is. 2nd and a fourth will be there anytime for him.

• knightni changed the title to 2022-23 NFL Season thread
  • bmags locked this topic