2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

5 hours ago, T R U said:

I watched a great game as a Dolphins fan. How about you?

5 hours ago, T R U said:

Fields sucks, that guy is not an NFL QB. He can’t throw accurately past 10 yards. 

If the dolphins D wasn’t garbage the game wouldn’t have been that close. 

To summarize, a QB that "sucks" in Fields put up 32 points against a defense that just added Bradley Chubb and is supposed to be a playoff contender, and needed an incredibly generous non-PI call in the final stretch to at the very least not send the game to OT. 

But this Dolphins fan watched a GREAT game! 

Checks out. 🤡

• Like 2
  • Fire 2

While that AWFUL non-PI called killed that final drive, big picture it was once again the best thing that could have happened to them. Fields look great, defense look bad, lose a squeaker. Keep putting up points, keep collecting L's. 

If Fields is really the guy, Poles has a ton to work with moving forward. 

35 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

Linebacker play worst in NFL.

It's to be expected and right now I couldn't care less. Huge offseason for Poles coming up and they have the resources to turn it around on defense. I think they gotta spend big on the DL and that alone is gonna help out every level of the defense.  

Had to miss the game but man, the highlights look good. Fields is just so dangerous with his feet. If the passing game comes around, we very well could be looking at an MVP candidate in the future.

Speaking of the 3T position I brought up in my last post... My #1 target in the offseason Daron Payne had another sack today. He's got the 3rd most among DTs. Javon Hargrave, who is much older, but also a free agent, is 1st among DTs. I would not be upset in the slightest if they sign both of them.

I can't decide if I'd rather have Payne and Hargrave while drafting a DE or Payne and Davenport while drafting a DT. 

Remember when a certain poster called Fields a bust the minute he was drafted cuz he watched 1 college game of him? Then said they should get rid of him while they can after the 2021 season (with s%*# coaching) and then the first 4 games this year (with s%*# weapons and a different coach his second year)? Won't say any names though. :)

• Fire 1

He does evoke memories of Bobby Douglas, as the radio booth kept telling us.  But Bobby never took that final step as a passer.  It's not for sure that Fields will, but at least he's gotten this far.  Running so much increases the chance that he'll get broken in half by some bozo and he's not an oak tree like Bobby was, but keep the faith.

7 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

He does evoke memories of Bobby Douglas, as the radio booth kept telling us.  But Bobby never took that final step as a passer.  It's not for sure that Fields will, but at least he's gotten this far.  Running so much increases the chance that he'll get broken in half by some bozo and he's not an oak tree like Bobby was, but keep the faith.

Well Douglass was 6’4” 225 when he played and Fields is 6’3” 227, so maybe he Is just as much as an oak tree

8 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Remember when a certain poster called Fields a bust the minute he was drafted cuz he watched 1 college game of him? Then said they should get rid of him while they can after the 2021 season (with s%*# coaching) and then the first 4 games this year (with s%*# weapons and a different coach his second year)? Won't say any names though. :)

Can’t imagine who this might be

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Well Douglass was 6’4” 225 when he played and Fields is 6’3” 227, so maybe he Is just as much as an oak tree

You're right but I coulda sworn he was bigger. I also didn't remember how awful his passing stats were. Fields has already surpassed that level, but still overthrows some.  If these coaches can get him fixed, it's an indictment of the last Bears' staff and his college coaching.

12 hours ago, Tony said:

To summarize, a QB that "sucks" in Fields put up 32 points against a defense that just added Bradley Chubb and is supposed to be a playoff contender, and needed an incredibly generous non-PI call in the final stretch to at the very least not send the game to OT. 

But this Dolphins fan watched a GREAT game! 

Checks out. 🤡

Yeah, a win on the road in the NFL, I don't really have anything to complain about outside of our defense continuing to be brutal for large stretches in games.

As an outsider, not impressed at all with Fields. He cant throw. He did great running, even set an NFL record, I will give you that. He can't make the throws, ultimately, that's going to be the downfall.

My team won, that will always be a great Sunday for me.

2 minutes ago, T R U said:

Yeah, a win on the road in the NFL, I don't really have anything to complain about outside of our defense continuing to be brutal for large stretches in games.

As an outsider, not impressed at all with Fields. He cant throw. He did great running, even set an NFL record, I will give you that. He can't make the throws, ultimately, that's going to be the downfall.

My team won, that will always be a great Sunday for me.

His TD to Mooney was a great throw. He made some good throws in that last drive. But one was a PI that wasn't called and the other got dropped by a receiver when it hit him in the hands. He shows flashes in the passing game, even if he hasn't put it altogether yet. Lamar Jackson couldn't throw for s%*# either when he first started, but then he won an MVP in his 2nd year when he improved dramatically in the passing game. Fields has gotten dramatically better since the mini-bye a few weeks ago. Using his legs has opened up more possibilities for him in the passing game. He's still not a good passer, don't get me wrong, but the trajectory for him is going up and it seems like he's starting to get it.

It's clear that Getsy running the offense like he had Aaron Rodgers the first 5 weeks of the season. But ever since the 10 day break they got coming off the TNF loss to Washington, they've used Fields a lot more like a running QB and his numbers have been great since. 

19 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

You're right but I coulda sworn he was bigger. I also didn't remember how awful his passing stats were. Fields has already surpassed that level, but still overthrows some.  If these coaches can get him fixed, it's an indictment of the last Bears' staff and his college coaching.

Well I imagine 6'4 230 in the 70s would look more like Derrick Henry among his peers than how justin fields looks relative to the other guys on the field.

I do think a very encouraging part of yesterday's game is despite all the runs I bet he got hit quite a bit less than he did in some of those games like the Giants/Packers where our interior was collapsing all game. He mostly slid or got out of bounds and was only hit a few times while passing.

16 minutes ago, chw42 said:

His TD to Mooney was a great throw. He made some good throws in that last drive. But one was a PI that wasn't called and the other got dropped by a receiver when it hit him in the hands. He shows flashes in the passing game, even if he hasn't put it altogether yet. Lamar Jackson couldn't throw for s%*# either when he first started, but then he won an MVP in his 2nd year when he improved dramatically in the passing game. Fields has gotten dramatically better since the mini-bye a few weeks ago. Using his legs has opened up more possibilities for him in the passing game. He's still not a good passer, don't get me wrong, but the trajectory for him is going up and it seems like he's starting to get it.

It's clear that Getsy running the offense like he had Aaron Rodgers the first 5 weeks of the season. But ever since the 10 day break they got coming off the TNF loss to Washington, they've used Fields a lot more like a running QB and his numbers have been great since. 

Lamar Jackson completed 66% of his passes in year 2 and threw 36 TD's. He was in a better situation for sure, but Fields is nowhere close to that breakout as of yet.

1 hour ago, Stinky Stanky said:

I think his overthrows are more a pattern of his timing - and if he isn't in synch he can get mechanically out of whack with his footwork, etc. Otherwise - he is a pretty darn good downfield passer. I've noticed more of his issues on the shorter to intermediate stuff but even as of late that seems to have been trending upwards - again - going back to he just seems to be playing with a lot more confidence and letting things rip (or taking off) in a more instinctual way (vs. where you could see he was overthinking / playing slow).  

And I do agree with Tru on one thing - Fields has to show he can throw the ball more consistently and have those games too. Cause we will see teams really scheme to stop his run and that is going to create more stuff open, especially in the middle of the field - which is the area I think Fields has been weakest (he tends to throw to the sidelines and downfield but rarely in the middle of the field.  We need to see that part of his game elevate - if he does that and continues to grow (and stay healthy) - he has the chance to be a pretty special player.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

He was not a bad coach and he will get another chance.  But yeah - at some point you got to take a shot on you know, non retreat QB's.  Than again - look at the Seahawks this year.  

Vrabel/Carroll need to be coaches of the year, aside from the revelation of Geno Smith, their defense has been so much better.

• knightni changed the title to 2022-23 NFL Season thread
  • bmags locked this topic