2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

2 hours ago, T R U said:

Yeah, a win on the road in the NFL, I don't really have anything to complain about outside of our defense continuing to be brutal for large stretches in games.

As an outsider, not impressed at all with Fields. He cant throw. He did great running, even set an NFL record, I will give you that. He can't make the throws, ultimately, that's going to be the downfall.

My team won, that will always be a great Sunday for me.

I suggest you urinate vertically along a dangling rope.

I'll admit, Fields has looked a hell of a lot better these last few games than he did earlier this year, or last.  Dude had one hell of a game yesterday.  Insane that it was the regular season rushing record for a qb.  Vick's record stood for like 20 years.

30 minutes ago, soulfly said:

I'll admit, Fields has looked a hell of a lot better these last few games than he did earlier this year, or last.  Dude had one hell of a game yesterday.  Insane that it was the regular season rushing record for a qb.  Vick's record stood for like 20 years.

I never thought I'd see Fields this good at running the ball after seeing how slow he seemed last year. Dude was getting tripped up by d-line men last year behind the LOS. 

I know I talk a bit about how much I hate the "smart" football commentors vs other sports (love baseball/basketballs). I'm being dumb because it's not all, and some of it is overzealous fans picking up on the same language as the writers like barnwell/tanier/etc, but it is a very vocal group.

I think to me a difference is the default tone of mockery from football commenters than other sports, despite it being a sport with so much whiplash of narratives every year. But they overcome this by just ignoring their previous position and frontrunning.

Just some stuff that I totally bought into mocking that turned out wrong:
- Nick Siriani being an idiot based off of the opening press conference (also prior to that that doug pederson was a dumb hire)
- Josh Allen would be a total bust because he never threw well in college. A common p.o.v. from a USA today post-draft blurb:
"This pick isn’t all that surprising. After all, this is the same team that thought Nathan Peterman gave it a better chance to win than Tyrod Taylor." - USA today draft grades
(even though his personality is grating, matt miller was pilloried on twitter all year for sticking by that Josh Allen was a first round pick despite his woes his last year of college, and walter football I still look at because they were open minded)
"
- Any defensive head coach hire despite now the balance of great coaches shifting to even more defenses with adding Vrabel, McDermott to the list
- Pete Carroll is past his prime and holding back Russell Wilson

And the hype up than pillory ones:
- Colts (today)
- The Freddie Kitchens browns
- Let Russ Cook hype
- all lions stuff this offseason
- Josh McDaniels raiders hype

If you want a great example of destroy and then front-run hype in a condensed period...check out the dolphins.

So, I believed a lot of that stuff and now I just think even with Fields the remarkable takeaway is how unwritten everything is in football. Or rather, yet to be written.

There have been so few great quarterbacks. Full stop. Entire decades were dominated by a handful of guys.

That anyone would be able to think or say confidently what it takes to develop a successful QB or what makes a successful qb is over their skis. There is a lot we don't know.

Some of sat for a year or a few. Some have started right away. Some switched OCs after a year. Some had continuity. Some had a great situation. Some had a terrible one. 

In my mind, nobody looked as bad as Fields looked last year and still succeeded. But there are only 32 QB positions. And some of those are occupied for years. The modern QB position was revolutionized the last 20 years.

We're flying near blind imo. Is Zach Wilson a bust? I'm done with that stuff. Maybe now that teams emphasize playmakers, it will look different harnessing those talents to the efficiency required of a modern offense. 

But it's also kinda exhilarating. 

On the other side, I think there probably are more dumb nfl orgs than are left in mlb. But I'm not even sure who they are anymore. The Broncos and Colts had every look of the model nfl org. Hot shot GM that understood draft value, built a team with depth and playmakers through and through. One too timid to go after a big swing at QB, another making it.

Both fail and are ridiculed.

Meanwhile the Bills are the model team now and nobody can convince me that when they were going through that process with Beane and McDermott and drafting Allen early that people had any idea that would be the case.

What the titans doing is incredible and looks different than everyone else. They may fall apart before a QB saves them.

I think, yeah, you need to make sure you are wise with your draft picks and cap. That is true. But the rest? You just gotta press on, build a strong organization that is constantly self-evaluating what works and adjust, and hope a QB comes along.

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

I never thought I'd see Fields this good at running the ball after seeing how slow he seemed last year. Dude was getting tripped up by d-line men last year behind the LOS. 

His legs are impressive. I can't wait until he has a better line, and another weapon or two. 3rd and 12, he doesn't have to complete a pass to move the chains. If he can be a somewhat consistent passer, it's hard to see how he won't be the best Bears QB ever.

• Like 1

We're halfway through the season and I still don't really know what to think about Kmet. He's obviously shown up in the red zone these past few weeks which is a plus. I have to wonder if hes been able to get more involved because they're more comfortable with Reiff so he doesn't have to pass block as much. 

17 minutes ago, scs787 said:

We're halfway through the season and I still don't really know what to think about Kmet. He's obviously shown up in the red zone these past few weeks which is a plus. I have to wonder if hes been able to get more involved because they're more comfortable with Reiff so he doesn't have to pass block as much. 

Hey I hope I am wrong about him being just a guy.  If he can start making more and more red zone plays then I would be happy to eat crow 

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

His legs are impressive. I can't wait until he has a better line, and another weapon or two. 3rd and 12, he doesn't have to complete a pass to move the chains. If he can be a somewhat consistent passer, it's hard to see how he won't be the best Bears QB ever.

Seriously, imagine if he was throwing to Hill and Waddle yesterday. Even yesterday after the awful non-PI call, on 4th down, he literally threw one square in the hands of ASB, and he couldn’t haul it in. You give Fields some talent….I think we see the real deal. 

13 hours ago, soulfly said:

I'm surprised as well. I thought Lamar Jackson for example would be the one who would've been broke that record.

7 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I'm surprised as well. I thought Lamar Jackson for example would be the one who would've been broke that record.

I know that 178 yards is a lot, and I did kinda forget about the Kaepernick GB game, but maybe they were overtime games I just thought Vick had some 200 yard rushing games 

Ok, that Vikings game I'm thinking of Vick had 173 yards so yeah I'm probably underrating a bit how good Fields game was rushing or memory is making it seem like he rushed for more.

In that National Title game I imagine Vick running for 400 yards vs. FSU lol

14 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Hey I hope I am wrong about him being just a guy.  If he can start making more and more red zone plays then I would be happy to eat crow 

I like that they realize the trying to make him Kittle/etc ain't working in terms of route running and contested catches...but get him 3 steps to start running with the ball so he can bulldoze and he's elite at that. Starting to act more like a Kyle Juszchek role maybe.

22 hours ago, T R U said:

Lamar Jackson completed 66% of his passes in year 2 and threw 36 TD's. He was in a better situation for sure, but Fields is nowhere close to that breakout as of yet.

Better situation might be an understatement.  He was playing behind 3 pro bowl offensive linemen, he had Hollywood Brown who is just as good if not better than Mooney and one of the best tight ends in the league. 

Yesterday Lamar had no one and completed 53% for 133 yards. 

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

Better situation might be an understatement.  He was playing behind 3 pro bowl offensive linemen, he had Hollywood Brown who is just as good if not better than Mooney and one of the best tight ends in the league. 

Yesterday Lamar had no one and completed 53% for 133 yards. 

also same coaching staff.

40 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

It definitely put the AFC back squarely in KCs lap

I'm hoping OBJ signs with Baltimore and they make it to the super bowl....just because it's such an easy comparison to make with the Bears. 

Speaking of OBJ. Assuming he's taking a 1 year deal, he's kind of a forgotten man when it comes to next years free agent class. Claypool is known to be a bit of a handful, so I wonder if the Bears might be interested in taking a chance with all the money they have. 

9 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I'm hoping OBJ signs with Baltimore and they make it to the super bowl....just because it's such an easy comparison to make with the Bears. 

Speaking of OBJ. Assuming he's taking a 1 year deal, he's kind of a forgotten man when it comes to next years free agent class. Claypool is known to be a bit of a handful, so I wonder if the Bears might be interested in taking a chance with all the money they have. 

OBJ hasn’t been elite for awhile. 

24 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

OBJ hasn’t been elite for awhile. 

And I don't think he'll be paid as an elite WR either. I'm not really pushing for it, but it's more of discussion. I don't want the Bears to spend money just to spend money, but if OBJ comes back and has 5ish good games to close the season and plays well in the playoffs, I'd be intrigued.  

25 minutes ago, scs787 said:

And I don't think he'll be paid as an elite WR either. I'm not really pushing for it, but it's more of discussion. I don't want the Bears to spend money just to spend money, but if OBJ comes back and has 5ish good games to close the season and plays well in the playoffs, I'd be intrigued.  

I would do it.

• knightni changed the title to 2022-23 NFL Season thread
  • bmags locked this topic