2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

14 hours ago, bmags said:

Josh mcdaniels doesn’t get near enough s%*# for the disaster that the raiders are this year.

Pretty insane how real the west coast effect is. They are the biggest disappointment in the NFL (& that's with a huge upgrade in the WR room) yet I saw a tweet yesterday from one of their beat guys saying McDaniels is pretty safe & Carr is the guy that will fall on the sword when the dust settles.

1 minute ago, TheTruth05 said:

Pretty insane how real the west coast effect is. They are the biggest disappointment in the NFL (& that's with a huge upgrade in the WR room) yet I saw a tweet yesterday from one of their beat guys saying McDaniels is pretty safe & Carr is the guy that will fall on the sword when the dust settles.

I kinda hope they win some games to fall behind bears in draft. They are either a QB trade up candidate or a massive trade down candidate. Either way, you'd want them behind Bears to have the opportunities for either.

I thought McDaniels would work the second time around. I'm amazed how bad it is. That offense has the skill positions to be top 5 in NFL. It's amazing.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

I kinda hope they win some games to fall behind bears in draft. They are either a QB trade up candidate or a massive trade down candidate. Either way, you'd want them behind Bears to have the opportunities for either.

I thought McDaniels would work the second time around. I'm amazed how bad it is. That offense has the skill positions to be top 5 in NFL. It's amazing.

Yea I think they'll win a couple of their games. They don't have a gauntlet the rest of the year so if they truly end up with 2 wins then it would make keeping McDaniels even worse. I will say if they ended up below the Bears it wouldn't be the worse thing. I think they would take a QB which if it works out the AFC can deal with that.

On 11/14/2022 at 8:58 AM, TheTruth05 said:

Heart: f*** yeah, we have a QB! 

Brain: It is only 6 games. Rex Grossman had a great 6 game stretch. 

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Heart: f*** yeah, we have a QB! 

Brain: It is only 6 games. Rex Grossman had a great 6 game stretch. 

Grossman never had a historic stretch like this. Stop it. You'll say anything to diminish what this kid is doing just cause you didn't like him after watching 1 game in college. What Fields is doing is unprecedented. NOONE in the history of the NFL did what he's doing. And he's doing all of this with by far the worst o-line, WR group in the league.

19 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Grossman never had a historic stretch like this. Stop it. You'll say anything to diminish what this kid is doing just cause you didn't like him after watching 1 game in college. What Fields is doing is unprecedented. NOONE in the history of the NFL did what he's doing. And he's doing all of this with by far the worst o-line, WR group in the league.

No man....I'm excited as f*** about Fields. I couldn't be more glad to have been wrong. 

He just gets better every week. This time feels different.

It's literally Bears QB PTSD. I can't help but have that creeping thought that it's all going to come crashing down because Bears. How could this possibly go wrong? I also have Culpepper and RGIII in my head. That's how bad it is. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

What Fields does is unique because he unbalances the defense.  You have to do extra accounting for his ability to run, which doesn't allow you to full cover or full blitz.  Guys hesitate, and gap discipline gets blown up because even if you are the right read, and the right assignment in the right spot, he can just destroy guys 1 on 1.  I don't know if he ever becomes a great thrower, but it sure will help him that you can't just drop 7 or 8 into coverage, because Fields will just destroy you with his legs.  The league is going to have to adjust, but those adjustments will give him more opportunities to throw.  He is a whole other problem.

5 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Good thing jack is here to make sure we all have a level head about all this 

I actually dgaf. Go crazy, Bears fans. Enjoy the ride, however long it may last. 

The Bears have been waiting 70 years for this s%*# and we've been waiting our entire lives. I doubt there's anyone using these forums that remembers Sid Luckman. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

I think what gets underrated with Fields still is when Lamar Jackson took over I think a lot of us were like "oh wow what Lamar Jackson did at Louisville is translating".

This isn't what Justin Fields looked like at Ohio State.

I just will refuse to make a verdict on wilson, lance and fields because their progression has much less precidence. Teams are trying to take guys that had big play ability and bring them along. Not guy sthat showed they could manage the offense and cross your fingers they also have big play ability in NFL.

It's hard, maybe it takes longer. 

But Fields was an incredible athlete who loved to throw it deep but had a knack for big plays. Gets to NFL and realizes what can be taken away, but learns he's faster than every lineman and linebacker. Soon he'll learn what that means for hitting the deep ball and middle of field. Or not. We don't know, there's no real comparisons here. We have Lamar Jackson and Jalen Hurts. so like 2 guys.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I don't disagree with Jack.  RG III had a stretch like this and we know what happened to him. Maybe not the same from a pure rushing yards perspective, but he was very dominant and than bam.  I just hope the "bam" that happens with Fields is a good bam, like wow, now he's dissecting defenses vis a vi the air a lot more.  But he's been an improved passer these last 4 quarters as well, so the growth is evident in all facets.  

But if we expect him to run like this for his entire career - at best, he has a Cam Newton like arch (which is not bad - by any stretch - it will just be a high probability of a shorter duration career). He has a better arm than Cam so I think he can defy all odds and there is a possibility he becomes a totally dynamic superstar. 

But I am not ready to anoint him yet. I am ready to make sure the Bears find an adequate back-up who plays a similar style (not saying they will be Fields). And people will call me crazy, but when Mitch is ready to be a back-up, I think he would be a TREMENDOUS back up in this system.  Mariotta is the other guy I would sign as a back-up for Fields.  

41 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

What Fields does is unique because he unbalances the defense.  You have to do extra accounting for his ability to run, which doesn't allow you to full cover or full blitz.  Guys hesitate, and gap discipline gets blown up because even if you are the right read, and the right assignment in the right spot, he can just destroy guys 1 on 1.  I don't know if he ever becomes a great thrower, but it sure will help him that you can't just drop 7 or 8 into coverage, because Fields will just destroy you with his legs.  The league is going to have to adjust, but those adjustments will give him more opportunities to throw.  He is a whole other problem.

This is why when they drafted him - I always thought his floor was relatively high, because his pure athleticism would allow him to get away with other weaknesses, and if he ever developed as a passer (really in terms of the speed of him getting the ball out - cause as a pure thrower, he is pretty damn good on intermediate to deep balls), than we are talking about a special player with generational talent.  

And at this point - once Claypool gets integrated and as they add another weapon, I am buying a trend of Fields becoming a more dynamic passer. Defenses will have to scheme for him - which will create a ton more match-ups, both for the rushing game and for the wideouts.  The big place is - we got to see Fields show more comfort using the middle of the field and with more spies, etc - that middle of the field should open up, so when he makes that adjustment/shows that growth - we'll start to see even more upside.  

10 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don't disagree with Jack.  RG III had a stretch like this and we know what happened to him. Maybe not the same from a pure rushing yards perspective, but he was very dominant and than bam.  I just hope the "bam" that happens with Fields is a good bam, like wow, now he's dissecting defenses vis a vi the air a lot more.  But he's been an improved passer these last 4 quarters as well, so the growth is evident in all facets.  

But if we expect him to run like this for his entire career - at best, he has a Cam Newton like arch (which is not bad - by any stretch - it will just be a high probability of a shorter duration career). He has a better arm than Cam so I think he can defy all odds and there is a possibility he becomes a totally dynamic superstar. 

But I am not ready to anoint him yet. I am ready to make sure the Bears find an adequate back-up who plays a similar style (not saying they will be Fields). And people will call me crazy, but when Mitch is ready to be a back-up, I think he would be a TREMENDOUS back up in this system.  Mariotta is the other guy I would sign as a back-up for Fields.  

A big diff with Cam is look at the difference in how they ran with Cam. They ran Cam in goal to go situations like Tim Tebow.

I do think it's notable how Lamar Jackson has showed how you can run with less punishment. I didn't think Fields had it in him but he has definitely taken way less hits running way more than he did last year.

In the 173 yard game he was hit less than in the texans game. 

But yes, he still has to evolve. I think it's crazy how productive he's been though given the talent around him. I think our center is probably not as terrible as he was last year. But I think our RT/C positions are below average at best. Our receivers we know about.

31 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I actually dgaf. Go crazy, Bears fans. Enjoy the ride, however long it may last. 

The Bears have been waiting 70 years for this s%*# and we've been waiting our entire lives. I doubt there's anyone using these forums that remembers Sid Luckman. 

You absolutely GAF so stop that nonsense.  This is what happens when you pollute this thread with anecdotal nonsense and we all get sick of it

24 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I believe that RG3 “bam” was his knee exploding 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bmags said:

A big diff with Cam is look at the difference in how they ran with Cam. They ran Cam in goal to go situations like Tim Tebow.

I do think it's notable how Lamar Jackson has showed how you can run with less punishment. I didn't think Fields had it in him but he has definitely taken way less hits running way more than he did last year.

In the 173 yard game he was hit less than in the texans game. 

But yes, he still has to evolve. I think it's crazy how productive he's been though given the talent around him. I think our center is probably not as terrible as he was last year. But I think our RT/C positions are below average at best. Our receivers we know about.

I agree and expect we will see Poles invest free agent money in the lines (and probably a high draft pick on one of the lines as well).  I will also state that Fields took a bit more hits this last game (or what looked to me as bigger hits), but in general, I like the way they have used him in the design runs as they seem to minimize the contact and he has done a good job of that, but reality is - more you run, more likely you are to get popped (hopefully he has that Wilson / Jackson in him where they just have that knack for not taking the shot).  

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

You absolutely GAF so stop that nonsense.  This is what happens when you pollute this thread with anecdotal nonsense and we all get sick of it

No I don't. I was making a comment about how everything points to Fields being the guy(finally) but the history of Bears quarterbacking still being in the back of my mind telling me it's not real or it won't last. 

I'm not polluting anything idk what you're talking about. 

Fields is the most promising QB the Bears have ever had. He keeps getting better every week. I'm just not quite ready to anoint him the absolute guy. I'm incredibly encouraged though. If he keeps this up the rest of the season, and into about mid-season 2023 then I think we can be pretty sure. 

I don't blame anyone for jumping the gun because you're probably going to be correct. 

At the end of the day it's just me being a jaded fan. Honestly 100% of my negativity is this. 

I was making a joke about me being a jaded fan and everyone took it out of context. 

OMFG Parkman had a positive thought? No way! 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I don't totally believe this, but he could be doing it BECAUSE of the bad O-line and WR group.  Either way, one really good hit and he's a different guy.

On 11/13/2022 at 6:14 PM, bmags said:

Josh mcdaniels doesn’t get near enough s%*# for the disaster that the raiders are this year.

Lmao at least when this crashes and burns we shouldn’t get another off-season of McDaniels being the hot name 

• knightni changed the title to 2022-23 NFL Season thread
  • bmags locked this topic