2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

Jack Sanborn is the leading tackler in the league since taking over as a starter. 

I think a lot of that, and Smith leading the league when he was here, is the DL not making stops, buttttt Sanborn looks like a guy. At the very least I'm more than comfortable with him being the starting Sam next year. 

25 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Jack Sanborn is the leading tackler in the league since taking over as a starter. 

I think a lot of that, and Smith leading the league when he was here, is the DL not making stops, buttttt Sanborn looks like a guy. At the very least I'm more than comfortable with him being the starting Sam next year. 

He is just a guy.  You know it.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

He is just a guy.  You know it.  

Well, of priorities now, MLB is not in the top ten. Not saying much but you know it's true.

The main bummer of yesterday was mainly that the season truly is over. Now we know how much we truly can have with tanking, and obviously getting a trade like the dolphins received would be a huge boon. Or getting a dominant edge for cheap like Will Anderson.

So it's hard to even want Fields to carve up packers. Kinda just want Semien.

Just now, bmags said:

Well, of priorities now, MLB is not in the top ten. Not saying much but you know it's true.

The main bummer of yesterday was mainly that the season truly is over. Now we know how much we truly can have with tanking, and obviously getting a trade like the dolphins received would be a huge boon. Or getting a dominant edge for cheap like Will Anderson.

So it's hard to even want Fields to carve up packers. Kinda just want Semien.

Next season they need to have almost a completely new LB corps imo.  Sanborn is a backup and a special teams guy at best, but I’m not gonna get excited about a guy catching 12 tackles downfield 

Just now, scs787 said:

I don't know it. 

I wasn't even over the top and talked about him as the SAM. I don't think he's Urlacher or anything,  but I absolutely think he can be Hillenmayer. 

That’s fine I just disagree, Hillenmeyer at least warranted a draft spot.  Upgrade is needed across the board, I really haven’t seen anything out of Sanborn that makes me think he can sneak a starting position next season. 

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Well, hopefully this is also the last we see of Fields this season with his injuries as well.

That would be a disaster. The reality is Fields has been extremely bad as a pure passer and needs more quality reps to develop.  Delaying that until the off-season would not be ideal as he has an opportunity post bye week (presuming he can get healthy by than) to continue in his development - in particular of focus has to be his ability to play within the system. 

This isn't to say he can't throw the ball - he can, but his ability to operate within the system is not good.  He does nothing to very little on time and in rhythm. That isn't necessarily a surprise - and the fact that he got his team to score so many points during his hot stretch despite being a pure crap system passer (again - he can throw a really good deep and intermediate ball - so he has the arm/throwing talent) - but he's very bad within the confines of the offense.  

It is also why Field(s) upside is so high.  To lead the Bears to the promiseland, he doesn't have to be elite within the system, or even great, but if he can be solid to average within the system - than he will still be an above average to great (maybe even elite QB).

But he will never lead the Bears to the promiseland if he plays like he did during that hot stretch - meaning if he doesn't improve from a pure crap player within the system to mediocre to average/good - the Bears will ultimately be looking for another QB in 1-2 years. 

He has a few bars to climb and is still young and clearly can do it and getting meaningful playing time to continue to work on it this year is CRITICAL.  And as we head into hte off-season having better players and protection around him - can help him get there (look at Hurts - who benefited from continued experience early in his career and than got more weapons put around him this year in Philly), but a lot is on Fields too.

Semien on those 1st 2 drives, delivered the ball in rhythm and on-time more in 2 drives than Fields probably did in the past 6 weeks combined (if I'm just being honest - and I like Fields).  Just watch Fields vs. Hurts - look at how much easier Hurts makes it look (and this is not saying Hurts is special - cause reality is Fields has better tools across the board than Hurts). Fields did incredible things - and it is evident what he can do - but everything has been driven by his pure elite athleticism and that isn't sustainable over a 17 week season.

He has to get to point he can be solid within the system (and solid for him is a lower bar because his athleticism will make it easier for him because defenses will have to scheme around his athleticism). He doesn't have to be Brady or Rodgers - he can pave his own way cause he is that elite - but he still has to be able to make plays within the system and get more on time (to minimize the toll on his body if nothing else).  

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Next season they need to have almost a completely new LB corps imo.  Sanborn is a backup and a special teams guy at best, but I’m not gonna get excited about a guy catching 12 tackles downfield 

i think reality is - Sanborn is a bottom 10 starter in the league.  His volume numbers and what he's accomplished for a UDFA - fantastic value. But reality is his physical limitations probably prevent him from being anything more than a back-end starter and therefor make him far more likely to be a valuable back-up for the Bears.

With that said - he has made some splash plays and warrants the opportunity (part of being a crap teams means giving more time to guys like this to see if they can dramatically outperform there measureables - cause it does happen).  But I won't go off pure volume - because this Dline is absolutely atrocious as is the LB corps.  

4 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

That’s fine I just disagree, Hillenmeyer at least warranted a draft spot.  Upgrade is needed across the board, I really haven’t seen anything out of Sanborn that makes me think he can sneak a starting position next season. 

So, you don't think he's a good because he went undrafted? TJ Edwards is a guy I have my eyes on in free agency and he too was an undrafted linebacker. 

Right now Edward's is the 3rd best LB in the league according to PFF.

23 minutes ago, scs787 said:

So, you don't think he's a good because he went undrafted? TJ Edwards is a guy I have my eyes on in free agency and he too was an undrafted linebacker. 

Right now Edward's is the 3rd best LB in the league according to PFF.

I don’t think he will be (or should be)a starter and the NFL knows it.  I’m happy for TJ Edwards beating the odds 

8 hours ago, scs787 said:

I don't know it. 

I wasn't even over the top and talked about him as the SAM. I don't think he's Urlacher or anything,  but I absolutely think he can be Hillenmayer. 

I think he could be Hillenmeyer or Kwiatkowski.

Edited by The Beast

completed a trade on pff.com/mock to the colts for their pick, next years first, the year afters first, this years third, next years third.

It's pretty close to the Dolphins niners trade but gets an extra 3rd this year.

The idea being that irsay takes over and goes nuts. Fun stuff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

completed a trade on pff.com/mock to the colts for their pick, next years first, the year afters first, this years third, next years third.

It's pretty close to the Dolphins niners trade but gets an extra 3rd this year.

The idea being that irsay takes over and goes nuts. Fun stuff.

I think Buckner could also be a target in a Colts deal. But presuming Fields is playing well and they end up with 2 (and its because our defense is putrid - although hopefully some of the young defenders are flashing) - that is a massive win.  

7 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think Buckner could also be a target in a Colts deal. But presuming Fields is playing well and they end up with 2 (and its because our defense is putrid - although hopefully some of the young defenders are flashing) - that is a massive win.  

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2023-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

at least this list is pretty good for rebuilding the defense. Sucking up some of the TB defense talent from cap hell, getting leadership and winners, would be excellent. Get Javon Hargrave, Jamel Deane, Lavonte David, Marcus Davenport while you build out from draft. 

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2023-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

at least this list is pretty good for rebuilding the defense. Sucking up some of the TB defense talent from cap hell, getting leadership and winners, would be excellent. Get Javon Hargrave, Jamel Deane, Lavonte David, Marcus Davenport while you build out from draft. 

The ability to upgrade the LB corps via free agency should be feasible - plus getting an upgrade at 3-tech as well (and obviously some upper echelon defensive talent should be there when Bears pick too). Will be interesting. My lean would be make most free agent contracts shorter duration and fill voids at right spots - if you are going to spend on higher end - do it at a position you don't think you can address via draft and that is a premium position (i.e., your Payne at 3 tech or one of the tackles).  

I heard on the radio that Braxton Jones is PFFs 24th ranked OT(not just LT.) That's not bad for a rookie out of a small school.

I still don't know what to really think of him and it bothers me. If he can just work on his strength training,  the rest is there. Totally forgot he ran a sub 5 40 yard dash, which, for a 310 pound OT is very good. Arm length is there. He seems to be smart. Good run blocker. 

I think the stink of him being a 5th rounder might be clouding some judgements the other way. 

• knightni changed the title to 2022-23 NFL Season thread
  • bmags locked this topic