2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Jameson Williams, 1st round pick out of Alabama? 

DJ Chark, 2nd round pick out of LSU?

TJ Hockenson also spent most of the season with Detroit and was a Top 10 pick out of Iowa. 

Lions have a flat out solid football team and are tremding up. I don’t know how good Goff is but he is solid. Provably not any better than he is doing right now but I can’t knock what he has done. He has made plays and minimized turnovers and played very good qb this year.

23 hours ago, The Beast said:

That would be very helpful, especially if Houston were to win.

Watching the Bears today, it is clear they really need help on the defensive side of the ball. They can’t stop anyone and look incredibly weak. The offense at least shows signs of life even without receivers. You have to hope Fields is the guy when he gets receivers and an actual offensive line though.

They need massive upgrades on both lines and within the linebacking corps and one more wideout (JSN would look nice). They also need Mooney and Claypool healthy. 

Than If next year Fields still is a lousy passer, you at least have a better all around team and are in a better spot to take another swing at a qb. Right now it has to be about building the lines and finding another skill position player. 

Obviously hitting in draft and free agency will me important. 

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

They need massive upgrades on both lines and within the linebacking corps and one more wideout (JSN would look nice). They also need Mooney and Claypool healthy. 

Than If next year Fields still is a lousy passer, you at least have a better all around team and are in a better spot to take another swing at a qb. Right now it has to be about building the lines and finding another skill position player. 

Obviously hitting in draft and free agency will me important. 

It's not really fair to evaluate Fields as a passer because he has NOTHING around him. OL is terrible and so are the WRs. 

I thought Mooney and Claypool were ok but clearly not. Jenkins is too injury prone. They need 10 new starters on offense. 

2 hours ago, Tony said:

Jameson Williams, 1st round pick out of Alabama? 

DJ Chark, 2nd round pick out of LSU?

TJ Hockenson also spent most of the season with Detroit and was a Top 10 pick out of Iowa. 

Williams has been injured most the year. Chark had one good season like 3 years ago. Hockenson was traded to the Vikings.

55 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Lions have a flat out solid football team and are tremding up. I don’t know how good Goff is but he is solid. Provably not any better than he is doing right now but I can’t knock what he has done. He has made plays and minimized turnovers and played very good qb this year.

Exactly. Someone said the Lions aren’t going anywhere with Goff. Seriously? If the rest of the team is loaded, which it appears to be trending that way, they can absolutely win a SB with Goff. Guys like Flacco, Foles, Eli Manning, and Stafford have won Super Bowls. I mean come on.

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Williams has been injured most the year. Chark had one good season like 3 years ago. Hockenson was traded to the Vikings.

You asked "Who do the Lions have outside of 2021 fourth round pick St. Brown?"

You included where St. Brown was drafted, so I answered your question. I'm sorry if you don't like the answer. 

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

You asked "Who do the Lions have outside of 2021 fourth round pick St. Brown?"

You included where St. Brown was drafted, so I answered your question. I'm sorry if you don't like the answer. 

Williams will be good but he’s returning from a major injury and has hardly played this season. Hockenson played less than half a season with the Lions. If Chark is better than Claypool, the bears front office made one of the worst trades in franchise history by giving up a high second round pick for a bottom tier #2 receiver.

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Why didn’t you include them in your list? They had a similar number of pass attempts in college as Justin Fields.

Because like almost everything in life, there are exceptions to the rules, and in this case, two all-time QB's we're pretty good once they entered the league (Without mentioning Rodgers was drafted in 2005 but didn't start until 2008)

The discussion was around Justin Fields and the need for him to get better at the passing game. The stats provide illustrate a collection of notable QB's that had double the amount of pass attempts in college than Fields, which amplifies the idea that the 23 year old Fields may actually still be developing in the passing game, and it's not time to draft a QB with the 2nd overall pick in this years draft. 

Just now, Tony said:

Because like almost everything in life, there are exceptions to the rules, and in this case, two all-time QB's we're pretty good once they entered the league (Without mentioning Rodgers was drafted in 2005 but didn't start until 2008)

The discussion was around Justin Fields and the need for him to get better at the passing game. The stats provide illustrate a collection of notable QB's that had double the amount of pass attempts in college than Fields, which amplifies the idea that the 23 year old Fields may actually still be developing in the passing game, and it's not time to draft a QB with the 2nd overall pick in this years draft. 

It was a stupid cherry picked list and it’s a stupid argument.

Anyways, the Bears were dumb to draft a QB first when the rest of the roster was hot garbage. When has that approach resulted in a Super Bowl over the past two decades? Build the roster out first, then draft or trade for the QB. They will have another few years of top 10 picks anyways and plenty of opportunities to draft or trade for a QB.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It was a stupid cherry picked list and it’s a stupid argument.

Anyways, the Bears were dumb to draft a QB first when the rest of the roster was hot garbage. When has that approach resulted in a Super Bowl over the past two decades? Build the roster out first, then draft or trade for the QB. They will have another few years of top 10 picks anyways and plenty of opportunities to draft or trade for a QB.

On 8/3/2022 at 4:16 PM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Diekman was a steal

On 8/1/2022 at 9:02 AM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Meh. Similar ERA and WHIP for Cueto and Rodon this season. There’s been no discernible difference in their results this season to date for stats that matter, considering you don’t win baseball games based on who strikes out the most batters.

Talk about stupid. 

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Talk about stupid. 

Boy, you’re really reaching there! The Sox didn’t trade a high second round pick for Diekman. And yes, Cueto was every bit as good as Rodon thru July last season. Obviously he faded in September but it’s not like either of those things would have made a difference in the 2022 outcome for the White Sox. What’s your point? 

Someone give me an example where a total rebuild that was kickstarted by drafting a QB actually resulted in team success. Seems to me that most teams trying this are teams like the Texans, Jaguars, and Cardinals. Heck, even the Bengals built out much of their roster before they drafted Burrow. I don’t know, it seems drafting the QB first results in outcomes like David Carr, Blake Bortles, and Kyler Murray more often than they do Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes, and Aaron Rodgers.

8 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Someone give me an example where a total rebuild that was kickstarted by drafting a QB actually resulted in team success. Seems to me that most teams trying this are teams like the Texans, Jaguars, and Cardinals. Heck, even the Bengals built out much of their roster before they drafted Burrow. I don’t know, it seems drafting the QB first results in outcomes like David Carr, Blake Bortles, and Kyler Murray more often than they do Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes, and Aaron Rodgers.

Colts Peyton Manning. Cowboys Troy Aikman. There’s 2.

Bengals were hot garbage when Burrows got there, which is part of the reason why they were able to draft him, and also part of the reason his knee was wrecked at the end of his rookie season

does Russell Wilson count as a qb drafted that kick started team success?

12 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I think it’s a matter of find the qb and the rest gets better. Texans before the Watson fiasco…Peyton manning…Trevor Lawrence (Jags stunk…not saying he is a slam dunk but he is pretty good)…Bengals we’re straight up trash when they got Burrow. 

In general though teams reach for qbs and miss on qbs. Very few end up being the guy but teams need them so they keep trying. 

Great qbs transcend all and there are very few of them. It’s why if you don’t have one you should never stop trying. But you can win in the league with above average qbs and just putting them in legit positions to excel too. 

If there was a Peyton Manning slam dunk #1 pick in this class this whole scenario would be so interesting but there are very few of those in reality. Lawrence was that type, Burrow was close, and Caleb Williams might be. Guys that just grade out at another level entering the draft.

And cause it’s hard you have Mahomes and Allen as two studs who didn’t grade out as the top guy (but clearly had elite arm tools). 

The key difference between the Lions and the Bears is the OL and I do really think it's that simple. 

The Bears OL is really that bad. Goff has been blitzed 159 times and sacked 22 times. Bears QBs have been blitzed just 92 times resulting in 57 sacks.  That's just mind blowing honestly.  Teams don't have to blitz the Bears to get to the QB. When teams can simply rush 4 and still dominate the line of scrimmage, that's a big problem. That means they can 7 into coverage which creates less holes and makes things just incredibly difficult. 

I think after that lions game, I'm pretty much off the Braxton jones train. I wanted to believe so badly that he can be good if he just gets stronger in the off-season,  but man. He was absolutely destroyed yesterday....I love his athleticism and he seems to be really smart but damn. He has potential If he works his ass off, but I'm not sure I wanna see him at LT.

Really sucks that there is no real deal LT in the draft IMO. Same for WR. 

My dream right now is to trade down to 4 after 2 QBs and Anderson go, you draft Carter, and then you use some of your resources to jump back into the 1st to get JSN. Look at what Olave and Wilson have done this year, and JSN, when healthy, had over 600 more yards than either of them.

Hesitantly sign Orlando Brown for LT, hope Whitehair can still hang at LG, draft an OC in the 3rd to compete with Patrick, hope Jenkins can stay healthy at RG, and hope Jones comes into camp yoked and locks down RT(bring back Reiff or sign a similar type just in case)

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Bengals were hot garbage when Burrows got there, which is part of the reason why they were able to draft him, and also part of the reason his knee was wrecked at the end of his rookie season

does Russell Wilson count as a qb drafted that kick started team success?

Bengals had been building and drafting high for years before Burrow. It’s a big reason why Burrow was able to make the Super Bowl in year 2. Does the bears roster look anything near the 2021 Bengals roster in Justin Fields’ year 2?

1 hour ago, bmags said:

The bengals roster was so built out when they drafted burrow. That they skyrocketed from 1st overall draft position to 5th the next year

Again, how does this Bears roster look in year 2 of Justin Fields compared to year 2 of Burrow. If the Bengals roster sucked so bad and simply adding Burrow made that much of a difference why hasn’t Fields had the same success with the Bears?

41 minutes ago, scs787 said:

The key difference between the Lions and the Bears is the OL and I do really think it's that simple. 

The Bears OL is really that bad. Goff has been blitzed 159 times and sacked 22 times. Bears QBs have been blitzed just 92 times resulting in 57 sacks.  That's just mind blowing honestly.  Teams don't have to blitz the Bears to get to the QB. When teams can simply rush 4 and still dominate the line of scrimmage, that's a big problem. That means they can 7 into coverage which creates less holes and makes things just incredibly difficult. 

I think after that lions game, I'm pretty much off the Braxton jones train. I wanted to believe so badly that he can be good if he just gets stronger in the off-season,  but man. He was absolutely destroyed yesterday....I love his athleticism and he seems to be really smart but damn. He has potential If he works his ass off, but I'm not sure I wanna see him at LT.

Really sucks that there is no real deal LT in the draft IMO. Same for WR. 

My dream right now is to trade down to 4 after 2 QBs and Anderson go, you draft Carter, and then you use some of your resources to jump back into the 1st to get JSN. Look at what Olave and Wilson have done this year, and JSN, when healthy, had over 600 more yards than either of them.

Hesitantly sign Orlando Brown for LT, hope Whitehair can still hang at LG, draft an OC in the 3rd to compete with Patrick, hope Jenkins can stay healthy at RG, and hope Jones comes into camp yoked and locks down RT(bring back Reiff or sign a similar type just in case)

Exactly my point. Why start the clock on a young QB when the rest of the team is in shambles? Not only do you risk destroying that young QB in the process but you also waste valuable years of his rookie contract dwelling in the cellar. 

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Bengals had been building and drafting high for years before Burrow. It’s a big reason why Burrow was able to make the Super Bowl in year 2. Does the bears roster look anything near the 2021 Bengals roster in Justin Fields’ year 2?

I think you might wanna look at the Bengals draft history. 

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Exactly my point. Why start the clock on a young QB when the rest of the team is in shambles? Not only do you risk destroying that young QB in the process but you also waste valuable years of his rookie contract dwelling in the cellar. 

Ehhhhh, there are factors to that. If the Bears truly believed he was a franchise QB, you can't just pass on him and hope you find the guy when you're ready. 

• knightni changed the title to 2022-23 NFL Season thread
  • bmags locked this topic