2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

And now they are saying the fact that they called the game shows just how much they care about the players. It's such a joke.

My guess is that the game officials mentioned the 5 minutes and the coaches and players balked and then the league got involved and that ended it.  There is zero precedent on this so I would think there is more to the story.  

As they were talking about after the game if the teams were notified that he was responsive and alert the game probably would have resumed.

There is an AED on the sideline and plenty of professionals to assist in managing so maybe the timing is just not clear.

The Go Fund ME is amazing, it's over $3M 

59 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I'm surprised the AED took that long to get there. High school sports have them on every sideline. I would think the NFL would have multiple units around. 

Those devices are really extraordinary in allowing someone with no training to follow a few simple directions and have them working. 

It is possible that the AED needed several shocks to restore his heart rhythm also, those things have you continue CPR sometimes as well if the first shock doesn’t resume a normal rhythm. I’m not sure if that would mean anything for his long term prognosis if it did.

• Like 1

So the NFL thought it was a good idea to flex the Lions - Packers game to Sunday night. If Seattle wins their afternoon game against the Rams, the Lions have nothing to play for. Basically doing everything they can to help Green Bay. 

8 hours ago, SoxAce said:

It's one more game. Fields has already stated he does not plan to rush for 1,000 yards every season like Lamar does. BUT that's up to the front office to get this guy some weapons and an o-line so when he runs its by design, not running for his life. I hope he gets the record Sunday.. and I hope he never has to endure what he has had to endure this season again.

I don’t want him playing and trying to get a rushing record. He needs to be passing not rushing all over the place. 

2 hours ago, Tony said:

Going to be very interesting to see how/when this game is played. 

Doesn't it have to be tomorrow or not at all? Playing tomorrow allows for their W18 games to be played Monday. Any later is too much of a disadvantage heading into the playoffs.

46 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don’t want him playing and trying to get a rushing record. He needs to be passing not rushing all over the place. 

If he plays, the entire game should be three step drops or running plays that are not planned QB runs.

Claypool should be targeted on 90% of the passes. 

3 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

If he plays, the entire game should be three step drops or running plays that are not planned QB runs.

Claypool should be targeted on 90% of the passes. 

The Vikings aren't playing for anything. It's a glorified pre season game. Keep everyone you want around next season off the field. 

16 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Doesn't it have to be tomorrow or not at all? Playing tomorrow allows for their W18 games to be played Monday. Any later is too much of a disadvantage heading into the playoffs.

I don't even know if you can play tomorrow, they are both currently set for Sunday, you could flex it out to Monday but it still is a short window. 

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

So the NFL thought it was a good idea to flex the Lions - Packers game to Sunday night. If Seattle wins their afternoon game against the Rams, the Lions have nothing to play for. Basically doing everything they can to help Green Bay. 

Yeah those games should have been at the same time with Ten/Jax flexed since it’s for the last spot with no outside influence. 

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

I don't even know if you can play tomorrow, they are both currently set for Sunday, you could flex it out to Monday but it still is a short window. 

Pushing it out a full week is also a big disadvantage as it basically gives every other team a bye while you have to play a game. 

8 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Pushing it out a full week is also a big disadvantage as it basically gives every other team a bye while you have to play a game. 

I don't know what the right answer is, but the NFL should absolutely have a contingency plan for "What happens when an emergency situation causes delay or postponement of a game with playoff implications in week 16" and they should be acting on it right now. If that is a game resumption tomorrow night, then they should be getting those plans out to people right now. If that is a canceled game, then they should have rules already written for how that is dealt with.  The exact situation causing it is difficult to predict, but there's any number of really bad things that could happen to a game at an inopportune time for making up the game before the playoffs. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

I don't know what the right answer is, but the NFL should absolutely have a contingency plan for "What happens when an emergency situation causes delay or postponement of a game with playoff implications in week 16" and they should be acting on it right now. If that is a game resumption tomorrow night, then they should be getting those plans out to people right now. If that is a canceled game, then they should have rules already written for how that is dealt with.  The exact situation causing it is difficult to predict, but there's any number of really bad things that could happen to a game at an inopportune time for making up the game before the playoffs. 

Come on dude, no league has a contingency plan for this.  Zero.  The nfl fucked up trying to make the show go on, THAT was the contingency plan.  We are in uncharted waters now 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Come on dude, no league has a contingency plan for this.  Zero.  The nfl fucked up trying to make the show go on, THAT was the contingency plan.  We are in uncharted waters now 

They're a $20 billion company. They should absolutely know what they would do if a natural disaster caused the cancelation of a football game 1 week before the playoffs start, you want to think through things like that beforehand specifically because you don't want to wind up in uncharted waters. This setup isn't that different - the teams cannot currently play, that is the starting point. You don't want to publish all those things you've thought through, but you should have something thought through as an example scenario. Hell, you might even practice for things like that in the offseason as a training exercise for your staff. 

• Like 1

The reality is - they wanted the game to go on because that is probably there #1 contingency plan - find a way to play. Because rescheduling is hard especially this late in the season. There really is no solution which will be perfectly equitable. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

I mean, this exact thing happened during Euro 2020.

The biggest difference to me is the fact that in football bodies need a more extended recovery time. Even playing as little as they did yesterday they still need recovery if you delay (which probably made today a no go and is why tomorrow is earliest followed by a Monday night or Tuesday night game. 

Only thing I could think of is move the playoffs into the work week to accommodate. 

10 hours ago, SoxAce said:

It's one more game. Fields has already stated he does not plan to rush for 1,000 yards every season like Lamar does. BUT that's up to the front office to get this guy some weapons and an o-line so when he runs its by design, not running for his life. I hope he gets the record Sunday.. and I hope he never has to endure what he has had to endure this season again.

Fields' running is awesome but he will get hurt. Josh is much bigger and they are trying to get him to cut back. Mahomes knows when to run, not too much otherwise.

• knightni changed the title to 2022-23 NFL Season thread

So I think the Bears should make a run at Saquon. I am never in the pay running backs but the bears have tons of cap space and a dynamic runner at qb. We saw what they did  with Montgomery but let’s put a second explosive weapon next to Fields and be unique…not to mention giving him a weapon to use in the flat. And than sign all the oline and dlinemen possible and draft a center and wideout and many linebackers :). 

11 hours ago, SoxAce said:

So being an elite athlete doesn't make you an elite QB or an elite passer?  Check and double check.

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

The reality is - they wanted the game to go on because that is probably there #1 contingency plan - find a way to play. Because rescheduling is hard especially this late in the season. There really is no solution which will be perfectly equitable. 

I also think because it was MNF between two very good teams, as gross as it is...because it happened in the first quarter, they wanted to get those ad dollars in for as long as possible

• bmags locked this topic