2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

4-13 is going to get a couple of very bad teams top 5 picks. 

Let’s also not forget that the Bears will be adding what, 8-9 drafted players this year, and spending $50 million in free agency just to get tO the salary floor? They could still be bad next year without a QB, but one or two guys step up and your QB less team is drafting 6th while the raiders brought in Garoppolo, he got hurt in game 3, and they went 2-15.

Possibly 9 right now with no trade if they get a 7th rd compensatory pick.  You have to think trading 1st or 2nd would bring them to 11-12 plus a pick or two next season.

it’s gonna be a long wait until April 😕

16 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

4-13 is going to get a couple of very bad teams top 5 picks. 

Let’s also not forget that the Bears will be adding what, 8-9 drafted players this year, and spending $50 million in free agency just to get tO the salary floor? They could still be bad next year without a QB, but one or two guys step up and your QB less team is drafting 6th while the raiders brought in Garoppolo, he got hurt in game 3, and they went 2-15.

Start Nathan Peterman or similar anll season and you’re a lock for the top pick in 2024. What team would be worse?

43 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Start Nathan Peterman or similar anll season and you’re a lock for the top pick in 2024. What team would be worse?

The Packers, the Raiders. Maybe the Broncos again. 

Nathan Peterman remains a specific casw of failure. How can you guarantee that he stays healthy while you throw all 17 games? If Gardner Minshew and Taylor Heineken can win multiple games then so can whoever you have as Peterman’s backup.

How can you be sure that Williams has no serious injury? The odds aren’t big but certainly aren’t zero. Tua looked looked like a no brainer number 1 pick a year before he was drafted and fell after injury. Since you like them I’ll give you a bet with odds, if Williams has no major injury I will take a week off and if he does you are banned for life. If you’re totally certain that college Quarterbacks never get hurt that’s an easy win for you right? That’s the kind of bet you’re saying is a no brainer for the Bears.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The Packers, the Raiders. Maybe the Broncos again. 

Nathan Peterman remains a specific casw of failure. How can you guarantee that he stays healthy while you throw all 17 games? If Gardner Minshew and Taylor Heineken can win multiple games then so can whoever you have as Peterman’s backup.

How can you be sure that Williams has no serious injury? The odds aren’t big but certainly aren’t zero. Tua looked looked like a no brainer number 1 pick a year before he was drafted and fell after injury. Since you like them I’ll give you a bet with odds, if Williams has no major injury I will take a week off and if he does you are banned for life. If you’re totally certain that college Quarterbacks never get hurt that’s an easy win for you right? That’s the kind of bet you’re saying is a no brainer for the Bears.

The Packers? Don’t see it. The Broncos? Perhaps but they’re committed to Wilson. The Raiders? Maybe but they’re still a 6 win team this season with poor QB play and will be in play for a veteran QB this offseason.

The odds of Williams suffering a major injury are less than Fields btw. Of course anything can happen but odds favor Williams staying healthy in 2023 over Fields.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

And here’s the thing. Even if the Bears traded fields and tanked in 2023 and yet somehow don’t get the top pick, Drake Maye is one hell of a consolation prize after Williams if they want to go QB in 2024. I’d take him over any of the QBs in the 2023 draft. Then of course there’s Brock Bowers and Marvin Harrison Jr. Yea, there’s no question you want a top 2 or 3 pick in the 2024 draft if you’re the Bears.

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And here’s the thing. Even if the Bears traded fields and tanked in 2023 and yet somehow don’t get the top pick, Drake Maye is one hell of a consolation prize after Williams if they want to go QB in 2024. I’d take him over any of the QBs in the 2023 draft. Then of course there’s Brock Bowers and Marvin Harrison Jr. Yea, there’s no question you want a top 2 or 3 pick in the 2024 draft if you’re the Bears.

So by doing this, effectively the Bears won’t be competing for a playoff spot until at least 2025, probably 2026 as rookie QB’s have historically not performed well when they start Week 1. And this plan heavily revolves around the unknown and projections. 

The Bears currently have a Top 10 Drafted QB that not only improved in 2022 over his 2021 stats, doing it with much less talent around him, but they currently hold the No. 2 overall pick and have more money to spend in FA than anyone else in the league. 

Punting until 2025…is not the play.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

So by doing this, effectively the Bears won’t be competing for a playoff spot until at least 2025, probably 2026 as rookie QB’s have historically not performed well when they start Week 1. And this plan heavily revolves around the unknown and projections. 

The Bears currently have a Top 10 Drafted QB that not only improved in 2022 over his 2021 stats, doing it with much less talent around him, but they currently hold the No. 2 overall pick and have more money to spend in FA than anyone else in the league. 

Punting until 2025…is not the play.

Joe Burrow went to the Super Bowl in his second season. Patrick Mahomes went to the AFC title game in his second season and won the Super Bowl the season after. If you actually build a strong roster before drafting the QB, there’s no reason why the QB can’t succeed and Bears can’t contend for a title by 2025. They aren’t going anywhere in 2023, “maybe” they’re competitive in 2024 so they’re effectively punting to 2025 already.

5 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Joe Burrow went to the Super Bowl in his second season. Patrick Mahomes went to the AFC title game in his second season and won the Super Bowl the season after. If you actually build a strong roster before drafting the QB, there’s no reason why the QB can’t succeed and Bears can’t contend for a title by 2025. They aren’t going anywhere in 2023, “maybe” they’re competitive in 2024 so they’re effectively punting to 2025 already.

And in Joe Burrow’s rookie season, 2020, the year before they went to the Super Bowl, they were 4-11-1. Things can turn around quickly in the NFL. 

You don’t think Fields is the guy. That’s fine. Maybe the Bears don’t either. But if they do, and if Fields is “the guy”, the notion of “punting” to 2025 is laughable 

1 minute ago, Tony said:

And in Joe Burrow’s rookie season, 2020, the year before they went to the Super Bowl, they were 4-11-1. Things can turn around quickly in the NFL. 

You don’t think Fields is the guy. That’s fine. Maybe the Bears don’t either. But if they do, and if Fields is “the guy”, the notion of “punting” to 2025 is laughable 

100 percent. If fields is the guy - than with a solid offseason they can be a playoff team on the rise next year. That is if Fields is the guy. If he isn’t - just make good moves this year and the cupboard will be better for whatever move they make next year. 

Just be smart and make sure you add some chips for next year when you trade down (ie get a future 1st). 

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

100 percent. If fields is the guy - than with a solid offseason they can be a playoff team on the rise next year. That is if Fields is the guy. If he isn’t - just make good moves this year and the cupboard will be better for whatever move they make next year. 

Just be smart and make sure you add some chips for next year when you trade down (ie get a future 1st). 

I 100% think trading down is the right move. They need volume, not a franchise defensive player (there isn’t an WR/OL that has 2nd overall potential it seems)

Like any team, it all rides on the QB. If Fields is the guy, honestly they have all the assets and flexibility (credit to Poles there) they need to put together a competitive team next season. But this is the most important offseason probably in the last decade honestly. 

6 hours ago, Tony said:

You just said that drafting a QB in 2024 means the Bears aren’t competing for a playoff spot until at least 2025. I gave you two recent examples of situations in which second year QBs did a hell of a lot more than just competed for the playoffs in their second year in the league (Hurts, Lawrence, Lamar are other examples, it’s not unusual at all if done right).

Then you say “things can turn around quickly in the NFL.” The Bears aren’t making the playoffs until at least 2024 with Fields. So you’re so impatient and shortsighted that you’re unwilling to wait one more year to build an even better team in a scenario where the Bears trade Fields for a couple high draft picks? You just mentioned in the post above they need volume, this we agree on.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

6 hours ago, Tony said:

I 100% think trading down is the right move. They need volume, not a franchise defensive player (there isn’t an WR/OL that has 2nd overall potential it seems)

Like any team, it all rides on the QB. If Fields is the guy, honestly they have all the assets and flexibility (credit to Poles there) they need to put together a competitive team next season. But this is the most important offseason probably in the last decade honestly. 

Today really is the Super Bowl for the bears. They may very well be able to get paid by the Texans just to move back to 2, and then get paid by a team to get Stroud.

I always felt like stroud would move up pre draft, but it’s still not a sure thing. 

For my whole life it felt like the bears were always one pick behind the fulcrum of the draft, just behind the team that had all the leverage to trade down. #2 should be strong regardless, but to really be the team holding the cards on how the draft will fall would be so sweet.

Still waiting for the next Sid Luckman (1939 - 1950). 

As mentioned, there are no guarantees the greatest draft pick will be a franchise QB and carry the team. Keep building around Fields and adapt the system to him. The Bears system is win with defense. 

9 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Still waiting for the next Sid Luckman (1939 - 1950). 

As mentioned, there are no guarantees the greatest draft pick will be a franchise QB and carry the team. Keep building around Fields and adapt the system to him. The Bears system is win with defense. 

And they’ve gone away from this of late. I guess they can sign the top defensive free agent this offseason - Roquan Smith. It’ll cost ~$20M per but they have the cap space. However, they need a lot more than that as we saw earlier this season before Roquan was traded.

15 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And they’ve gone away from this of late. I guess they can sign the top defensive free agent this offseason - Roquan Smith. It’ll cost ~$20M per but they have the cap space. However, they need a lot more than that as we saw earlier this season before Roquan was traded.

Good point. I think it's just amazing the Bears have not had a franchise quarterback in over 70 years. Meanwhile the average Packer QB seems to be a Pro Bowl candidate every year and most are HoF caliber. Luck? Curse? Generations of bad drafts? Timing? 

Hoping for just good enough at that spot is realistic, anything more just sets us up for disappointment. 

Also, trading Fields would be nearly unprecedented.  I can’t even imagine what price a team would need to pay to land him.  Yes, he’s not completely proven yet, but he just rushed for 1,100+ yards and has all the tools needed to be a quality passer.  To even consider it would require a package of players and picks that is probably unrealistic for any other team to give up.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

23 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Poles did spend his first 2 picks on the defensive side of the ball, so they haven't totally gotten away from the defensive side of the ball. 

Daron Payne is the top guy out there and I would absolutely overpay to get him.

9 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don’t think fits the system is right term - it really is if you think one of them is a franchise qb and whether they think Fields is. 

Getsy did try to run his "system" during the start of the season when he tried to make Fields a pocket passer and it was a colossal failure as Fields was on his way to one of the worst passing seasons in NFL history until Getsy scrapped his "system" and started calling different plays that allowed Fields to get out of the pocket (and good on him for doing so). 

Now they may have a chance to draft Bryce Young who is lauded for his Aaron Rodgers-like accuracy (see what I did there?) and would allow Getsy to run the offensive "system" he was brought here to run.   

8 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Getsy did try to run his "system" during the start of the season when he tried to make Fields a pocket passer and it was a colossal failure as Fields was on his way to one of the worst passing seasons in NFL history until Getsy scrapped his "system" and started calling different plays that allowed Fields to get out of the pocket (and good on him for doing so). 

Now they may have a chance to draft Bryce Young who is lauded for his Aaron Rodgers-like accuracy (see what I did there?) and would allow Getsy to run the offensive "system" he was brought here to run.   

Lol if you think getsy scrapped his system. There was not much different than weeks 1-4 except some more planned runs and much better execution from Fields (including running when he should have ran in the first few weeks).

• Haha 1

Also, let’s not make franchise altering decisions based on a first time OC who hasn’t proven s%*#.  If Poles believes Young is going to be the better QB, then select him (assuming we land the 1-1) and trade Fields for a haul.  But you don’t let Luke fucking Getsy’s system dictate which player to go with.

• Thanks 1

• bmags locked this topic