2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

11 hours ago, bmags said:

yeah that haul would be nice but not a fan of either clemson guy. I'd rather just go Skowronski there and kinda amazed that christian gonzalez isn't even in the first round in that mock.

I actually like Breese a lot, but yeah, if they did that trade down with the Panthers(which I'd absolutely love), I would probably go Skowronski as well.

There's some worry about arm length there, but I don't think it's an issue. Worst case scenario you have a dominant interior lineman. He can legit play all 5 positions.  

Hearing a lot of talk about this being a deep year for edge defenders. I wouldn't mind if they grabbed 2 of the 3 high end DTs in free agency and then doing a trade down like this for OL and grabbing an edge in round 2.

7 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

When do we find out if the Bears are on bar knocks? I am guessing it will be them or the Jets (or Raiders?).

I’d kinda rather they not. It really does seem to always be a kiss of death

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

I actually like Breese a lot, but yeah, if they did that trade down with the Panthers(which I'd absolutely love), I would probably go Skowronski as well.

There's some worry about arm length there, but I don't think it's an issue. Worst case scenario you have a dominant interior lineman. He can legit play all 5 positions.  

Hearing a lot of talk about this being a deep year for edge defenders. I wouldn't mind if they grabbed 2 of the 3 high end DTs in free agency and then doing a trade down like this for OL and grabbing an edge in round 2.

I think he’s gonna be that rare short armed tackle and if not an all pro guard but I am probably gonna end up wrong. He just was so good against top competition, so sound.

I can't find the tweet now but Eric DeCosta pointed to Ben Powers (guard) as someone unlikely for baltimore to keep.

That is a guy I had circled, with Phillys Seumalo second. Would love for bears to get him.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

I can't find the tweet now but Eric DeCosta pointed to Ben Powers (guard) as someone unlikely for baltimore to keep.

That is a guy I had circled, with Phillys Seumalo second. Would love for bears to get him.

Releasing Cody? I'm not sure what to think of him at this point. 

Cody's durability is historically good and in general he was pretty solid this year. I kind of think we spend money on a high end tackle and ideally a free agent center and than draft some more too.  I am okay if they decide to spend on a high end guard and draft a tackle in RD 1 too.  

3 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Cody's durability is historically good and in general he was pretty solid this year. I kind of think we spend money on a high end tackle and ideally a free agent center and than draft some more too.  I am okay if they decide to spend on a high end guard and draft a tackle in RD 1 too.  

I disagree he was solid, he was solid his first four games, and was awful after that.

Ben Powers is also an improvement in Pass Pro, and too many of our guys are maulers but got destroyed when asked to pass block.

There really shouldn't be any spots we don't critically try to upgrade on that line, but Jenkins/Jones are on rookie deals. Guard/Center/Tackle upgrades is completely fair to shoot for.

"Powers is also currently the highest-graded guard in the league in pass blocking, per Pro Football Focus, having allowed just one hit and no sacks in 440 pass blocking reps."

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

I disagree he was solid, he was solid his first four games, and was awful after that.

Ben Powers is also an improvement in Pass Pro, and too many of our guys are maulers but got destroyed when asked to pass block.

There really shouldn't be any spots we don't critically try to upgrade on that line, but Jenkins/Jones are on rookie deals. Guard/Center/Tackle upgrades is completely fair to shoot for.

"Powers is also currently the highest-graded guard in the league in pass blocking, per Pro Football Focus, having allowed just one hit and no sacks in 440 pass blocking reps."

I buy that

I don't think the Cody Whitehair at center "Experiment" (as someone put it) should be over. 

PFF had him ranked as the 7th best center in the league from 2016-2018 and he was a pro bowler there in 2018 as well. I don't remember why they started moving him around the very next year. 

I'm totally down with Powers or an upgrade at LG and then drafting a center in the 3rd or 4th round and then having a competition between the rookie, Whitehair, and Patrick. 

10 hours ago, scs787 said:

I don't think the Cody Whitehair at center "Experiment" (as someone put it) should be over. 

PFF had him ranked as the 7th best center in the league from 2016-2018 and he was a pro bowler there in 2018 as well. I don't remember why they started moving him around the very next year. 

I'm totally down with Powers or an upgrade at LG and then drafting a center in the 3rd or 4th round and then having a competition between the rookie, Whitehair, and Patrick. 

I think they moved him because he wasn’t a natural center nor was he drafted to be one, it just kind of happened and he did well in a pinch. They moved him back to guard when they drafted James Daniels

On 1/20/2023 at 3:50 PM, bmags said:

He was on injured list after this for his knee, right

It’s so weird how Jerry Jones is so conservative with coaches now.

That Dallas team is so talented, just silly how they can’t make that leap.

And on the other side, I feel like I don’t appreciate enough how dominant 49ers have been. Lynch and Shanahan are a hell of a duo. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

It’s so weird how Jerry Jones is so conservative with coaches now.

That Dallas team is so talented, just silly how they can’t make that leap.

And on the other side, I feel like I don’t appreciate enough how dominant 49ers have been. Lynch and Shanahan are a hell of a duo. 

I think he wants HCs who will say "yes sir Mr Jones" because the last time he got a coach who spoke his mind and did what he wanted to do, Parcells, they fought quite a lot and he has never gone back to that type of HC

• bmags locked this topic