2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

7 minutes ago, The Beast said:

The NFC game sucked, but at least the AFC game was competitive. There was lots of chirping on social media about the officiating, but I don’t know that any call swung the outcome of these games. Even the one where the Chiefs got a second third down because of a clock issue (I think that is what happened).

Ridiculous no call on a block in the back on the last punt return.  The late hit was the right call.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Ridiculous no call on a block in the back on the last punt return.  The late hit was the right call.

I would have to watch the tape. But my question to anyone who questions officiating remains, what makes for a poorly called game? Why is the fix in? If there is an opportunity after a missed call or bad call, shouldn’t the opposing team be able to overcome it and make a play to win? Did any bad call swing the game that badly?

Yesterday’s missed call at the end of regulation hurt the Lakers, but one of their players hurt them more by getting t-ed up for harassing an official with a video recorder of the play. The Lakers couldn’t overcome the missed call and lost in overtime.

It is also a dumb suggestion to fine officials for missed calls. They should be evaluated and rated. The ones with bad ratings shouldn’t get premier games and the ones with good ratings should be rewarded. That is accountability, not fines.

Edited by The Beast

13 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I would have to watch the tape. But my question to anyone who questions officiating remains, what makes for a poorly called game? Why is the fix in? If there is an opportunity after a missed call or bad call, shouldn’t the opposing team be able to overcome it and make a play to win? Did any bad call swing the game that badly?

Yesterday’s missed call at the end of regulation hurt the Lakers, but one of their players hurt them more by getting t-ed up for harassing an official with a video recorder of the play. The Lakers couldn’t overcome the missed call and lost in overtime.

It is also a dumb suggestion to fine officials for missed calls. They should be evaluated and rated. The ones with bad ratings shouldn’t get premier games and the ones with good ratings should be rewarded. That is accountability, not fines.

I never said the fix was in, but the missed block in the back resulted in a 30 yard difference.  Game almost assuredly goes to OT with the proper call there.

32 minutes ago, fathom said:

I never said the fix was in, but the missed block in the back resulted in a 30 yard difference.  Game almost assuredly goes to OT with the proper call there.

I know. You’re making a reasonable point. I’m talking about many of the people I’m reading comments for on the internet. Stupidity at its finest.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

That's a borderline call. The Bengals player stopped his motion and the Chiefs player couldn't hold up in time. Plus there was a Chiefs blocker engaging him from the front at the same time. Not saying that it isn't a penalty by the letter of the rule, but hardly an egregious error.

Calling DPI on SF when the Eagles receiver was pushing off was a far worse call.

58 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Looks like he's done for good this time. Took him losing his wife to finally say enough is enough. Retired exactly a year to this day last year too.

I feel like more accurately it took him being bad. He was prepared for the former.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Very good for the Bears. 

In more ways than one potentially.  Takes a QB away for teams needing a QB, adds another team needing a QB, and they might blow it up making Evans/Goodwin available.  

I'm hoping if the Bears do end up trading for a WR, they wait till after the draft or just send future assets. I really think this is the year to go all in. Put everything you can around Justin and if he doesn't make the necessary steps, then you got a draft next year loaded with QB talent. Gotta see what you really have with Justin first. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

In more ways than one potentially.  Takes a QB away for teams needing a QB, adds another team needing a QB, and they might blow it up making Evans/Goodwin available.  

I'm hoping if the Bears do end up trading for a WR, they wait till after the draft or just send future assets. I really think this is the year to go all in. Put everything you can around Justin and if he doesn't make the necessary steps, then you got a draft next year loaded with QB talent. Gotta see what you really have with Justin first. 

I believe Evans was gonna be available regardless, isn’t he a FA 

really don't want to hear about how an organization is ever undesirable again after miami went from the brian flores debacle to still getting mike mcdaniels (true he was passed over for others) and now getting vic fangio to join as DC. 

Houston goes through treating two coaches like garbage and then win a bidding war for Demeco Ryans.

Good for McDaniels though. I definitely had the same gut feeling as others that he just didn't seem like he could run the locker room. But he is himself and honest and didn't try to be a different person. I can see why Fangio would be drawn to that.

• bmags locked this topic