2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

Wow - that was unexpected. Is Justin Jones any good?  

Charger fans seemed to think he was good. PFF grade wasn't great, but not any worse than Ogunjobi (PFF hated Ogunjobi). 

The Pringle signing feels very Demarie Byrd to me.   Nobody should expect him to be more than a #3, but he's probably better suited as a #4.  Thankfully it's only a 1 year deal.

The way Poles is operating is strange to me.  He hasn't doing anything to add weapons at the skill positions to help the development of his young QB.  That would seem indicate he's not a believer in Fields.  But if that's the case, why even take the Bears job?  So if he is a believer in Fields, then why are we bargain bin shopping to add offensive talent?  The only major upgrade was on the defense (who has now failed his physical).  To this point, we have not added any value to the OL.  We're about net even there with the loss of Daniels and addition of Patrick.  But also, we won't have Jason Peters, who actually graded out as our best OL.

I know the offseason isn't done yet, but as it stands, we're only maybe better than the Texans in terms of offensive talent.  Some major additions are needed.

9 minutes ago, dasox24 said:

The Pringle signing feels very Demarie Byrd to me.   Nobody should expect him to be more than a #3, but he's probably better suited as a #4.  Thankfully it's only a 1 year deal.

The way Poles is operating is strange to me.  He hasn't doing anything to add weapons at the skill positions to help the development of his young QB.  That would seem indicate he's not a believer in Fields.  But if that's the case, why even take the Bears job?  So if he is a believer in Fields, then why are we bargain bin shopping to add offensive talent?  The only major upgrade was on the defense (who has now failed his physical).  To this point, we have not added any value to the OL.  We're about net even there with the loss of Daniels and addition of Patrick.  But also, we won't have Jason Peters, who actually graded out as our best OL.

I know the offseason isn't done yet, but as it stands, we're only maybe better than the Texans in terms of offensive talent.  Some major additions are needed.

I think its tough to really judge Pringle when he played on a team with so much talent. He was on a team with a top 3 WR and TE just eating up a ton of targets. I posted a link to a tweet that said he had the 2nd highest ranking in the whole league as far as QBR goes when the ball was thrown his way....Argument could be made thats because he was facing lesser corners but we'll see.

Seeing what the "Top teir WR" got, idk that i want them playing in that market. 

I really think they want Armstead and thats been the hold up on the OL. If he ends up staying in NOLA there are still a handful of LTs out there. 

13 minutes ago, dasox24 said:

I kind of think of it as - he is waiting the market out because he doesn't want to go multiple years with the players out there. I also think there is truth he is in on some of the olineman.  Honestly - I like the patient approach right now, but I do agree with you he has to target wideout. With that said - maybe he is planning on taking wide receivers with 2 or 3 of his first picks and just ignoring the defense (other than depth moves etc) and on offense he wants to see what he has in his tackles (I still see we will see a good olineman added in FA).  

That said - if the above was his plan - I would also move Quinn now too (which could still be in progress) and with those extra picks basically just focus most of my draft on wideout, oline, and probably DB (and find defensive value bargain shopping on Day 2 / Day 3 free agents).  Know he will have more assets next year - a better view of Fields and plenty of cap space and defensive coaches you believe in to make most of your D.  

And in that scenario, if Fields doesn't step up, no biggie, cause you already have a better foundation set (offensively) for the next QB (and a likely high pick cause the team designed above is going to stink (and thats okay), no matter how good Fields is), plus plenty of cap space - and a defensive coach I believe in to develop that side of the ball.  

Just now, scs787 said:

I think its tough to really judge Pringle when he played on a team with so much talent. He was on a team with a top 3 WR and TE just eating up a ton of targets. I posted a link to a tweet that said he had the 2nd highest ranking in the whole league as far as QBR goes when the ball was thrown his way....Argument could be made thats because he was facing lesser corners but we'll see.

Seeing what the "Top teir WR" got, idk that i want them playing in that market. 

I really think they want Armstead and thats been the hold up on the OL. If he ends up staying in NOLA there are still a handful of LTs out there. 

So I don't think Pringle is anything more than a 3 or 4 and to assume anything more is nonsense. Byrd was almost the opposite of Pringle in sense that he racked up his yards and stats on a horrific wide receiver corps (ala Ron Mercer on those crappy Bulls teams...someone had to score).  Pringle isn't that - but they need bodies and he is a pretty reasonable body to get (but they better have there eyes set on a few more potential difference makers/young players).  

28 minutes ago, dasox24 said:

Have you seen the market these WR are getting? Not a doubt in my mind he is going to draft a WR (maybe 2) with the upcoming picks. This isn't a one year thing. And I love what he's doing cause most of his strategy is lining up for next year's draft especially with compensation pick(s).

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Have you seen the market these WR are getting? Not a doubt in my mind he is going to draft a WR (maybe 2) with the upcoming picks. This isn't a one year thing. And I love what he's doing cause most of his strategy is lining up for next year's draft especially with compensation pick(s).

Yes. I would definitely YOLO comp picks to still get Armstead, but I also recognize that could be brutal if he only plays 50% of his games each year.

But every single guy that you'd feel ok committing long-term to got Jagzd or was franchised.

Honestly if we can all swallow our desire to enjoy the humans that play for the bears I think getting Beasley would be a really smart move.

(edit: since he's cut he won't affect comp scores)

Just catching up but wanted to say that I like Derek Carr and I think it's cool they are going for it and all, but that just seems like a very very bad idea. There is no questioning the talent, but to give up that much and then make them the highest paid receiver for their second contract? Eek.

Packers have a lot of picks now in a good WR draft and a QB who can make it work regardless. You do that move 10/10. 

I actually had no idea how bad the record was for receivers in free agency. Bears with Allen Robinson was like one of the best FA contracts in the last 10 yrs. This is why you can't live with so few picks because you have to have enough to swing at 3rd-5th round receivers every year, but can't when you need them to fill holes like the bears.

Just now, bmags said:

Just catching up but wanted to say that I like Derek Carr and I think it's cool they are going for it and all, but that just seems like a very very bad idea. There is no questioning the talent, but to give up that much and then make them the highest paid receiver for their second contract? Eek.

Packers have a lot of picks now in a good WR draft and a QB who can make it work regardless. You do that move 10/10. 

I actually had no idea how bad the record was for receivers in free agency. Bears with Allen Robinson was like one of the best FA contracts in the last 10 yrs. This is why you can't live with so few picks because you have to have enough to swing at 3rd-5th round receivers every year, but can't when you need them to fill holes like the bears.

Also, I have my doubts that Adams would be anywhere near as good without Rodgers as his QB. Those back shoulder throws that he and Rodgers are so good at takes time and chemistry to develop. 

13 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Also, I have my doubts that Adams would be anywhere near as good without Rodgers as his QB. Those back shoulder throws that he and Rodgers are so good at takes time and chemistry to develop. 

The back shoulder stuff for sure, I know that Carr and Adams have history, but its been like 10 years almost.

Adams is so good though, one of the funniest players to watch coming off line of scrimmage, you can tell cornerbacks have no idea what to do.

4 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

The back shoulder stuff for sure, I know that Carr and Adams have history, but its been like 10 years almost.

Adams is so good though, one of the funniest players to watch coming off line of scrimmage, you can tell cornerbacks have no idea what to do.

And I don't like giving credit to him but Josh McDaniels should be a good coach to lean into his versatile set of skills. 

My bigger concern for raiders is it's football and players just start breaking down.

I am thinking they will sign Fisher. He won't get as much LT money as Armstead and was solid last year (his first year back from the serious Achilles injury - or whatever it is). He is 31 years old (so older - but tackles seem to hold up pretty decent).  Poles should have familiarity with his time w/Chiefs and Eber from his time w/Colts.  

He started year not as good - but got better and better as season progressed.  

1 hour ago, bmags said:

And I don't like giving credit to him but Josh McDaniels should be a good coach to lean into his versatile set of skills. 

My bigger concern for raiders is it's football and players just start breaking down.

Giving up 2 high picks + massive contract is stupid for anything other than QB or for maybe an LT (to pair with your QB) or some final piece that you think is going to win you a super bowl. This move does NONE of those things for the Raiders and is stupid use of assets and finances. Just like the Bears trade for Mack was STUPID than and stupid now (and I said it than and say it now).  

It isn't just the 2 picks, it is the 2 picks plus an ABSURD use of cap space on a wideout who probably has 1-2 years before he drops of (if not sooner). Adams is a stud, I don't think he's just good because he's played with Rodgers, but he is old and only going to get older.  

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I also like it for Carr, who could really use someone like Adams.

Could be good for Rodgers too as he started getting really locked into Adams last year.  Really backfired in the 49ers game when they put like 3 guys on him and Rodgers was still just trying to get him the ball.

3 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I hear you.  I certainly wanted no part of the contract Kirk got, or Zay Jones, etc.  But I would have absolutely given Chark the 1-year deal he got.  I would have traded a 5th rounder for Cooper -  given the contracts being dished out, $20M (with no guaranteed money left) is pretty reasonable for a player of his caliber.  Definitely still some pieces out there, but we need to land them.  And if we align with guys who were released (like a Jarvis Landry), then at least it doesn't affect the comp pick strategy.

That would also help us take BPA in the draft.  If that's another WR (or OL) in the 2nd, great.  I just don't want them forced into taking a WR b/c they have no other options.

Edited by dasox24

9 minutes ago, dasox24 said:

I hear you.  I certainly wanted no part of the contract Kirk got, or Zay Jones, etc.  But I would have absolutely given Chark the 1-year deal he got.  I would have traded a 5th rounder for Cooper -  given the contracts being dished out, $20M (with no guaranteed money left) is pretty reasonable for a player of his caliber.  Definitely still some pieces out there, but we need to land them.  And if we align with guys who were released (like a Jarvis Landry), then at least it doesn't affect the comp pick strategy.

That would also help us take BPA in the draft.  If that's another WR (or OL) in the 2nd, great.  I just don't want them forced into taking a WR b/c they have no other options.

I may have done the chark deal but I wouldn't have paid $20mil for cooper.

Wow - I mean I do get it - Watson is pretty special when he was healthy but that is a massive risk (with the off-field stuff etc). That said - I have to think based upon the teams going in on this, that there was enough intel via investigations etc that there wasn't substance behind the allegations, etc.  Still - so much money but if you are going to do it - I always say, do it for the QB. 

• Kyyle23 changed the title to 2022 NFL Season thread
  • knightni changed the title to 2022-23 NFL Season thread
  • bmags locked this topic