2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

There's still talent out there and upgrades to last year's team to be made. 

As far as the OL goes, obviously a LT is needed. Duane Brown would be an upgrade to Peter's and IMO so would Eric Fisher. If they don't add either of those guys, then I'd be disappointed.  As far as RT goes, I know the injury put some stink on him, but I'm not ready to call Tevin Jenkins a bust after a couple games. Dude was still viewed as a potential 1st rounder just last year. I think he's an upgrade over what they had for the majority of last year, assuming healthy. So in my opinion, if they get Brown of Fisher, the tackle position has been upgraded.

The Bears brought in Ryan Bates for a meeting not to long ago and I hope the Dozier signing doesn't take them out of that race or a the pursuit of another interior piece. Mustipher was hot garbage and imo the weak link on the line. Everything I've read on Patrick tells me he's a big upgrade. Cody is Cody and he may even play better next to some better talent....If they can bring in a guy like Bates or maybe take a look at Trettor, then I think the interior has been improved as well. Borum still intrigues me but I'd like for him to be the swing tackle. 

Then who knows what the plan is for the FB they brought in. That could potentially help protect Fields as well. 

WR will be upgraded as well. It still baffles me how bad Robinsons numbers were last year so that production should be easy to upgrade. Pringle is not the player Robinson is, but he can out produce what Arob did. I couldn't even tell you off hand who the bears number 3 receiver was last year, so a 2nd round pick immediately comes in and makes that group better. 

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

Biggs sounds like Bears are getting Bates to sign the offer.

Obviously not a ton of tape but at 25 those are the signings you’d hope pan out in FA.

Well there we go! A quick Google search tells me PFF gave Bate a 74 pass protection grade while Daniel's had a 69. 

Sample size isn't big, but he's shown to be a rock solid guard. I think, especially with how bad Mustipher was, that the interior has been upgraded. 

Now go get Brown or Fisher.....I think Brown had been slept on big time because  of his age. Dude was a pro bowler last year. 

15 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Well there we go! A quick Google search tells me PFF gave Bate a 74 pass protection grade while Daniel's had a 69. 

Sample size isn't big, but he's shown to be a rock solid guard. I think, especially with how bad Mustipher was, that the interior has been upgraded. 

Now go get Brown or Fisher.....I think Brown had been slept on big time because  of his age. Dude was a pro bowler last year. 

Yeah I think they are at least at a point now where they have modest upgrades in the interior prior to the draft, but I can't imagine they go in to the season with Borom/Jenkins as the tackles. It may actually be hard to improve on Peters who was pretty damn good last year.

But if they do sign Fisher who should at least be competent competition, that puts them in a good position for the draft to go after highest rated players in early rounds and not be forced into a guard or tackle at the end of a run of talent.

33 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah I think they are at least at a point now where they have modest upgrades in the interior prior to the draft, but I can't imagine they go in to the season with Borom/Jenkins as the tackles. It may actually be hard to improve on Peters who was pretty damn good last year.

But if they do sign Fisher who should at least be competent competition, that puts them in a good position for the draft to go after highest rated players in early rounds and not be forced into a guard or tackle at the end of a run of talent.

Yeah, I'd be shocked if they didn't bring in Brown or Fisher, or maybe even bring back Peters. I think thats the order I'd want them to pursue too.

Speaking of the draft, just did my first mock and I'd be pretty happy with this. 

39. Devonte Wyatt DT- The WRs just didn't fall the way I would liked and instead of "Reaching" I decided to grab the 3 tech this team needs 

55. Christian Watson WR- Traded down to pick up the 87th pick as well. Watson is a small school risk, and the past small school picks by the bears kinda scare me, but Watson is ridiculous.  Big time size/speed guy.

71. Kyle Gordon CB- A freak corner with good movement, big fan of his. 

87. Jeremy Ruckert TE- Former teammate of Fields. OSU didn't really utilize the TE all that much, so his upside doesn't really show up in the numbers. He is a more than willing blocker and a damn good one at that. 

15 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Yeah, I'd be shocked if they didn't bring in Brown or Fisher, or maybe even bring back Peters. I think thats the order I'd want them to pursue too.

Speaking of the draft, just did my first mock and I'd be pretty happy with this. 

39. Devonte Wyatt DT- The WRs just didn't fall the way I would liked and instead of "Reaching" I decided to grab the 3 tech this team needs 

55. Christian Watson WR- Traded down to pick up the 87th pick as well. Watson is a small school risk, and the past small school picks by the bears kinda scare me, but Watson is ridiculous.  Big time size/speed guy.

71. Kyle Gordon CB- A freak corner with good movement, big fan of his. 

87. Jeremy Ruckert TE- Former teammate of Fields. OSU didn't really utilize the TE all that much, so his upside doesn't really show up in the numbers. He is a more than willing blocker and a damn good one at that. 

You do PFN or PFF?

2 hours ago, scs787 said:

PFN....but only because I was bummed at the fact that there were like no WRs there in the 2nd so I said nahhhh I'm out. Lol.

I'd really like that draft. 

Yeah PFF feels a little more realistic to me and trends tend to show up in its auto draft. 

For example, was able to create this for the bears in PFN vs PFF 

PFN
48 - Pickens
57 - Pitre
71 - Petit-Frere
89 - Khalil Shaker
90 - Isaiah Likely
131 - Leo Chenal
150 - Mykael Wright

PFF
48 - Pitre
54 - Tyler Smith
71 - Khalil Shaker
85 - Jon Metchie III
148 - DMarco Jackson
150 - Zach Tom

5 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

WR targets via FA: 

Julio Jones (unlikely)

Will Fuller 

Sammy Watkins

WR targets at #39: 

Christian Watson(unlikely) 

George Pickens

oh and sign Eric Fisher already. 

WR targets via trade:

Brandin Cooks

Tyler Lockett 

Devonte Parker 

Jags WR guy

Didn't include DK because the cost is gonna be too high.

Also, I've moved on to wanting Duane Brown over Fisher

I think they should go the draft route though. There are just a ton of guys in this draft and I don't think it stops at Watson/Pickens. Alec Pierce is a name to keep an eye on. 

I may like Pringle more than others here, I think he deserves a shot to be a #2/3 so I'm not sure I'd go WR in the 2nd and a higher end WR In FA or double up in the 2nd. 

Edited by scs787
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I think they should go the draft route though. There are just a ton of guys in this draft and I don't think it stops at Watson/Pickens. Alec Pierce is a name to keep an eye on. 

I may like Pringle more than others here, I think he deserves a shot to be a #2/3 so I'm not sure I'd go WR in the 2nd and a higher end WR In FA or double up in the 2nd. 

I like the Boise State receiver a lot

interesting idea

(It's okay if you didn't immediately connect that name, I didn't either but he's referring to La'Viska Shenault Jr. My brain doesn't recognize first names of athletes unless it is Dikembe).

30 minutes ago, bmags said:

interesting idea

(It's okay if you didn't immediately connect that name, I didn't either but he's referring to La'Viska Shenault Jr. My brain doesn't recognize first names of athletes unless it is Dikembe).

Lol, he's the "Jags WR" I mentioned in the previous post about trade targets. 

I'd be all in on that honestly.  For the sake of years of control I think I'd prefer a WR in the draft, but if you can get a guy like him for a 6th round pick and a "JAG" like Foles, I'd have a hard time passing. 

Still a lot of needs on this team. You could push WR out and look at the D in the draft. 

28 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Lol, he's the "Jags WR" I mentioned in the previous post about trade targets. 

I'd be all in on that honestly.  For the sake of years of control I think I'd prefer a WR in the draft, but if you can get a guy like him for a 6th round pick and a "JAG" like Foles, I'd have a hard time passing. 

Still a lot of needs on this team. You could push WR out and look at the D in the draft. 

I can't imagine Jags are trading a former 2nd round pick (2 years into the league) for Nick Foles and a later round pick, but I am intrigued on the idea of trading for that Jets wideout. I still go back to the one move I really wish Poles made was the Cooper move. I think hindsight 20/20 he makes that move (as I don't think he saw the WR market playing out the way it did).  That was a no brainer move that had no long-term cap rammifications.  

18 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I can't imagine Jags are trading a former 2nd round pick (2 years into the league) for Nick Foles and a later round pick, but I am intrigued on the idea of trading for that Jets wideout. I still go back to the one move I really wish Poles made was the Cooper move. I think hindsight 20/20 he makes that move (as I don't think he saw the WR market playing out the way it did).  That was a no brainer move that had no long-term cap rammifications.  

I don't think that's that bizarre when paired with knowledge that they've just signed like 10 receivers, and he hasn't had great production. The value for that stuff isn't high. I would definitely trade a 6th for him as he's just 23 and is only making 1mil. Better than 10 for MVS, plus you shoul dbe able to recoup a late round pick like that easily.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't think that's that bizarre when paired with knowledge that they've just signed like 10 receivers, and he hasn't had great production. The value for that stuff isn't high. I would definitely trade a 6th for him as he's just 23 and is only making 1mil. Better than 10 for MVS, plus you shoul dbe able to recoup a late round pick like that easily.

i would trade a 6th for him in a heartbeat (I would have rather done so for Cooper though).  But you are right - Jags have signed a bunch of wideouts but I presume they want as many weapons as possible for Lawrence.  

On 3/23/2022 at 1:05 PM, T R U said:

Just because the Chiefs could have kept him, doesn't mean they wanted to do so at the cost. Then of course there was the compensation headed back to them that helps making that decision as well.

The Chiefs have a QB on a massive contract as well as a handful of others with very large cap hits, Miami doesn't have that QB contract currently. I didn't mean the cap is non-existent, but for a lot of these large contracts you can still maneuver around to do what you need to do.

This is the first year where the Mahomes contract takes a spike and it was becoming clear that Tyreek wanted to be the highest paid receiver. Sounded like they were extremely close in an extension until the Adams trade and sign happened. As a Chiefs fan it sucks looking Hill, but he also wanted more money than KC was going to offer, which is fine. Right now was probably the most value you'd get for him. I get that he's a top 5 WR in the league and it sucks losing him, but drafting a guy in the 5th round, only to trade him away 6 years later for a 1st, 2nd, two 4th's, and a 6th is really good.

Edited by WilliamTell
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 10:41 AM, Chisoxfn said:

I'd totally take a flier on Shenault and Mims. Both guys will also be 24 to start the season so they're still young. (Mims is 25 in October) 

if they could get both for a 6th or something that would be a great use of 6th round picks. Both guys have higher upside than the average 6th round pick and they could use their 2nd rounders for other needs like CB and OL. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

• Kyyle23 changed the title to 2022 NFL Season thread
  • knightni changed the title to 2022-23 NFL Season thread
  • bmags locked this topic