2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

2 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

Watching this Bears game, my confidence in Fields has been restored but he’s far from a finished product. His touch needs to be better, especially on the short stuff.

The protection has been horrible all game. Lucas Patrick and Sam Mustipher were atrocious all game. Back to back crucial drops by the receivers, not using Kmet in the red zone,  the play calling has no balls on offense. Let your QB make a play. 

Agree with most but Kmet is fucking awful and in no way should be counted on

• Like 1

Getsy really had an atrocious playcalling day, his red zone calls were embarrassing, and the reason they only scored field goals.  If you don’t trust him that much then play Semien(I don’t want them to play semien but what’s the fucking difference if you aren’t gonna try to put 7 on the board)

32 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Agree with most but Kmet is fucking awful and in no way should be counted on

Kmet was a top ten TE last year. Putting up 60+ catches and 600+ yards in his age 22 season. That’s awful?

If the Bears want to be more successful on offense, he needs to be featured more 

3 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

Kmet was a top ten TE last year. Putting up 60+ catches and 600+ yards in his age 22 season. That’s awful?

If the Bears want to be more successful on offense, he needs to be featured more 

Lol ok man, he clearly has looked great this season while starting.  Lemme know when he sniffs the end zone.  

And he wasn’t top ten in anything last season.  12 in yards 13 in receptions and doesn’t register with 0 TDs.  Just a guy right now.  i hope he gets better but he is awful to watch at the moment, certainly not worthy of making a focus of the offense 

8 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

I'm sorry, what now? 

Travis Kelce, Mark Andrews, George Kittle, Zach Ertz, Kyle Pitts, Gronk, Dalton Schultz, Hunter Henry, Dallas Goedert, Mike Gesicki, Noah Fant, TJ Hockenson and Darren Waller would all like a word. I could add about 6 or 7 names to that list ahead of Kmet but the point is made.  

11 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

now with Cody looking to miss significant time, Mustipher will probably stay at Center with Patrick and Jenkins to each side.  Smh

Yeah, sure would be nice if leatherwood could swing to LG soon, but I think he had mono so that may be tough. Other side of that, if he was a competent RT, because I still think Borom could be a really good guard and i'm not impressed with him as tackle.

I know I'm insane for saying this but I actually felt a little better yesterday despite it being horrendous to look at. These games will happen with teams that have bad talent, but I actually thought Fields looked better but the team was just completely deficient. 

And as optimistic as I was about this team, it really would be better served with as high a pick as possible. Do you guys think the Giants rebuild was helped at all this year by having two top ten picks while the Bears had to treat two picks in the 40s as franchise saviors to will Fields to success?

If Fields can look like a guy that is doing the right things but has s%*# talent, then you can really load up next year with a top ten pick and $100 mill.

The unfortunate thing is how screwed WR looks. You pretty much have to earmark round 1 as a WR. And I like most of those guys, obviously Njigba but I like Boutte and Addison too. And if you do still like fields, there are 3 QBs in the top ten and can get an Eagles like boost to your rebuild by trading down to 12.

It all just goes to the Bears took Fields at an extremely weird point of a franchise trajectory. You don't really see QBs taken like that at the clear end of an era, where you really can't even take advantage of the contract because you already spent it all on past their prime talent.

It's not like Poles couldn't have chosen to build around fields, getting hard not to wish instead of our DBs we just had chosen Pickens/Pierce and Jurgens and gone after a Mike McDaniels or Kevin O'Connell. But at some point, it really will be nice to have a clean slate of resources, which we have been throwing to the future for 5 years now.

I didn’t watch yesterdays game so watched more highlights last night and today of his misses (not his makes) and wow at the amount of them that he had zero chance or his teammates completely wet the bed. 

First few games - I saw a lot on Fields - this looked like a better Fields but everything around him was utter s%*#. Whether guys dropping good balls or mustipher completely wetting the bed etc. 

Not saying Fields was great but there was progress…there was also complete s%*# play around him. Oh and Jenkins was a monster. 

13 hours ago, bmags said:

I know I'm insane for saying this but I actually felt a little better yesterday despite it being horrendous to look at. These games will happen with teams that have bad talent, but I actually thought Fields looked better but the team was just completely deficient. 

And as optimistic as I was about this team, it really would be better served with as high a pick as possible. Do you guys think the Giants rebuild was helped at all this year by having two top ten picks while the Bears had to treat two picks in the 40s as franchise saviors to will Fields to success?

If Fields can look like a guy that is doing the right things but has s%*# talent, then you can really load up next year with a top ten pick and $100 mill.

The unfortunate thing is how screwed WR looks. You pretty much have to earmark round 1 as a WR. And I like most of those guys, obviously Njigba but I like Boutte and Addison too. And if you do still like fields, there are 3 QBs in the top ten and can get an Eagles like boost to your rebuild by trading down to 12.

It all just goes to the Bears took Fields at an extremely weird point of a franchise trajectory. You don't really see QBs taken like that at the clear end of an era, where you really can't even take advantage of the contract because you already spent it all on past their prime talent.

It's not like Poles couldn't have chosen to build around fields, getting hard not to wish instead of our DBs we just had chosen Pickens/Pierce and Jurgens and gone after a Mike McDaniels or Kevin O'Connell. But at some point, it really will be nice to have a clean slate of resources, which we have been throwing to the future for 5 years now.

Yeah, I agree there was some progress there and SoxAce post after yours kind of confirmed it. When the pocket was clean he looked solid,  and would probably look even better with more talent to throw to. 

The thing that really sucks is next year's free agent market is not that great in terms of pass catchers. Juju and Jacoby Meyers are the 2 best WRs. I like Juju a bit but he's not a number 1 and unfortunately,  at least thus far, I was way wrong on Mooney. I think the #1 pick should definitely be a WR at this point andddd they should sign Juju as well. 

Kmet is another guy who had just completely vanished and I'm not sure why. He was starting to look like a solid target for Fields. The free agent market has 2 other guys who have kinda disappeared as well in Shultz and Gesicki. Both guys looked like they would be good TEs but neither have 100 yards on the season. I may look into drafting a guy in the 2nd or 3rd. 

The OL is where things get interesting.  Mustipher is clearly the weak link, but I think the hope is Lucas Patrick takes that center position when his hand heals and fixes that position.  I think Jenkins is absolutely deserving of the RG position and Whitehair isn't an issue either assuming he can come back healthy. There's a part of me that wants to see Whitehair moved back to OC and the Bears bring in Quinton Nelson with Patrick just being a "High priced" backup all along the interior.  Depth is always needed.... The big fish in FA is Orlando Brown Jr..... I don't think Braxton Jones has been bad, buttt idk if he's a franchise LT. If Brown hits the market I think the Bears have to pounce. 

It's actually astounding how bad that WR class is. But FA WRs are always a bit of fools gold. You basically have to slot a first round WR in, which...good. At this rate it's the new edge rusher.

But my dream available WRs keep getting more and more far fetched. Now it's basically that Brady gets hurt, the Bucs realize they aren't near a contender without him and need to start over for the following year, so they trade Evans with a year left.

...yeah...

But Other than that maybe Michael thomas is available? But saints always seem like they'll have to make hard decisions and never seem to.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

It's actually astounding how bad that WR class is. But FA WRs are always a bit of fools gold. You basically have to slot a first round WR in, which...good. At this rate it's the new edge rusher.

But my dream available WRs keep getting more and more far fetched. Now it's basically that Brady gets hurt, the Bucs realize they aren't near a contender without him and need to start over for the following year, so they trade Evans with a year left.

...yeah...

But Other than that maybe Michael thomas is available? But saints always seem like they'll have to make hard decisions and never seem to.

Evans would nice. 

The Kenny Golladay thing in New York kinda confuses me. Here's a guy who had back to back 1k yard seasons, he's a red zone threat,  and now he's not even really playing for the Giants. I think I saw him out there getting some snaps but wtf? I heard the Giants are gonna have a hard time trading his contract, so why sign him in the first place? Bears seem like a likely destination should they choose to trade him.  

On 10/2/2022 at 9:29 PM, Kyyle23 said:

now with Cody looking to miss significant time, Mustipher will probably stay at Center with Patrick and Jenkins to each side.  Smh

At this point I'm done with Mustipher. It kinda baffles me that he's the 2nd worst rated center in the league. I can't imagine anyone playing worse.

I'd try Schofield out. Dude had been good in the past and can't be any worse than Sam out there. 

12 hours ago, scs787 said:

Yeah, I agree there was some progress there and SoxAce post after yours kind of confirmed it. When the pocket was clean he looked solid,  and would probably look even better with more talent to throw to. 

The thing that really sucks is next year's free agent market is not that great in terms of pass catchers. Juju and Jacoby Meyers are the 2 best WRs. I like Juju a bit but he's not a number 1 and unfortunately,  at least thus far, I was way wrong on Mooney. I think the #1 pick should definitely be a WR at this point andddd they should sign Juju as well. 

Kmet is another guy who had just completely vanished and I'm not sure why. He was starting to look like a solid target for Fields. The free agent market has 2 other guys who have kinda disappeared as well in Shultz and Gesicki. Both guys looked like they would be good TEs but neither have 100 yards on the season. I may look into drafting a guy in the 2nd or 3rd. 

The OL is where things get interesting.  Mustipher is clearly the weak link, but I think the hope is Lucas Patrick takes that center position when his hand heals and fixes that position.  I think Jenkins is absolutely deserving of the RG position and Whitehair isn't an issue either assuming he can come back healthy. There's a part of me that wants to see Whitehair moved back to OC and the Bears bring in Quinton Nelson with Patrick just being a "High priced" backup all along the interior.  Depth is always needed.... The big fish in FA is Orlando Brown Jr..... I don't think Braxton Jones has been bad, buttt idk if he's a franchise LT. If Brown hits the market I think the Bears have to pounce. 

Nelson isn’t a FA until 27

10 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Nelson isn’t a FA until 27

Ope. The site I was looking at still had him as a free agent. He signed his extension less than a month ago. That sucks.

Really hoping Patrick is good. I think a fully healthy interior of Whitehair-Patrick-Jenkins can be gold enough. 

Mustipher is the clear weak link and he's gotta go and go quick. Where's Doug Kramer at when you need him? 

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

Ope. The site I was looking at still had him as a free agent. He signed his extension less than a month ago. That sucks.

Really hoping Patrick is good. I think a fully healthy interior of Whitehair-Patrick-Jenkins can be gold enough. 

Mustipher is the clear weak link and he's gotta go and go quick. Where's Doug Kramer at when you need him? 

season long IR.

I am also done with musty. I hope Leatherwood gets better from mono soon, or Zach Thomas has improved, because it is seriously hard to believe that the dropoff from patrick at LG is going to be worse than still having Mustipher get bulldozed.

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Nobody outside of Chicago thinks that Fields is it. Maybe we should listen. 

The National narrative is the opposite - the national narrative is the Bears have given Fields nothing and all of the issues go beyond Fields and he basically has zero chance. The truth is somewhere in between.  Games 1-3 - it was a lot on Fields; Game 4 - I'd say Fields was better (still wouldn't say good) - but a lot of parts around him were just a disaster.  

I haven't really kept up with the rest of the league and wondered how Allen Robinson was doing...I know he's on a team with the best WR in the league, but wow. What happened there? Maybe his bad year wasn't because of bad QB play last year. 

• knightni changed the title to 2022-23 NFL Season thread
  • bmags locked this topic