2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

Not sure if it's true, but Kaplan said that Fields had run 12 designed runs in his whole career before yesterday when he had....12 designed runs.  That kinda boggles my mind when you take into account his athleticism. I understand trying to develop him as a passer and not wanting him to take more hits but with the designed runs element I think you're gonna force the defense to fall back and play more contain knowing he may run the ball. Just having him run 7-10 times could keep the defense more honest and open everything up..

It's not a bad comp. I'd like to think Fields can have a higher ceiling throwing the ball with proper personnel around him though. 

It's gonna be really hard for this passing game to get anything going and I don't believe that's gonna be solely on Fields. He may never break the 225 mark all season and I think I'd be ok with that. Look at what Rodgers is doing right now with his weapons, and IMO, the Bears weapons as a whole are worse.  

Poles really has to get in a #1 WR this offseason.  Or at least a guy with #1 potential. He also needs to at the very least find a RT. Borum is not the guy. I could live with Jones Whitehair-Patrick(eh)-Jenkins going into next year. Improving the OL is not only gonna keep Fields protected,  but it's also gonna open up the TE to be more of a threat catching the ball. Idk if that's gonna be Kmet, or if they'll bring in someone, but that's another element lacking from the passing game that's not on Fields. 

2 hours ago, scs787 said:

Not sure if it's true, but Kaplan said that Fields had run 12 designed runs in his whole career before yesterday when he had....12 designed runs.  That kinda boggles my mind when you take into account his athleticism. I understand trying to develop him as a passer and not wanting him to take more hits but with the designed runs element I think you're gonna force the defense to fall back and play more contain knowing he may run the ball. Just having him run 7-10 times could keep the defense more honest and open everything up..

They wil have to rethink how they pressure the passer and likely it keeps a spy which makes the wideouts and rest of the field more open.  Really loved the game plan yesterday and the aggressive way Fields played.  

Juju has back to back 100 yard & 1TD games. It's still rather annoying that he's gonna be the top WR available and he probably ends up getting Kirk type money. 

If your the Bears do you do that and draft a WR in the 1R? Does Juju give you enough with Mooney to where you go WR later?? 

Do you just go WR in the first and grab a lesser guy? Does ESB give you enough as a run blocker that you would be alright with him as your #3? 

32 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Juju has back to back 100 yard & 1TD games. It's still rather annoying that he's gonna be the top WR available and he probably ends up getting Kirk type money. 

If your the Bears do you do that and draft a WR in the 1R? Does Juju give you enough with Mooney to where you go WR later?? 

Do you just go WR in the first and grab a lesser guy? Does ESB give you enough as a run blocker that you would be alright with him as your #3? 

I say draft your 1 and use that money elsewhere 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I, personally, want nothing to do with Juju.  Nothing against him and I don't think he's bad but He's in an offense that does nothing but throw the ball with the greatest TE in history opening things up for him and the greatest QB talent ever.  His biggest season also came with prime AB on the other side.  I could be wrong but I don't think he's every truly been a #1 which is what this team desperately need

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I say draft your 1 and use that money elsewhere 

Historically I was all about through the draft but the Bears have missed on WR's for so long, I would be all for trading a pick (and maybe one lesser pick) to get a bonafide stud.  Seeing how it's worked Philly, Buffalo and Miami is making me look at it differently, those #1's they got have completely changed their offenses.  

28 minutes ago, Chi Town Sox said:

I, personally, want nothing to do with Juju.  Nothing against him and I don't think he's bad but He's in an offense that does nothing but throw the ball with the greatest TE in history opening things up for him and the greatest QB talent ever.  His biggest season also came with prime AB on the other side.  I could be wrong but I don't think he's every truly been a #1 which is what this team desperately need

Not quite #1 numbers but he had a year without AB where he put up 831 yards and 9 TDs. He had Claypool opposite of him put up 800 and 9 as well. 

I'd really rather not give up a first unless they go on a run and end up picking in the teens. If they can get a guy like the before mentioned Claypool for less than a 1,I'd be game. 

Hate to keep spamming the NFL thread with random hypotheticals but let's assume Patrick is ok, Whitehair comes back, and things click with Leatherwood(which would be phenomenal) would you rather go with (left to right)

A. Jones-Leatherwood-Whitehair-Jenkins-Borum 

Or 

B. Jones-Whitehair-Patrick-Jenkins-Leatherwood

5 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Quinn to the Eagles. No return info yet. 

Will wait to see the return to judge the trade, but at the very least this shows that they aren't holding out any hopes of accomplishing anything this year and are doing more to set themselves up for the next few years.

As much as I want to see Fields get better and better, I also don't want him to play them out of a Top 10 draft pick.

EDIT: 4th round pick? Seems light.

Edited by CentralChamps21

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Damn - a 4th rounder. I hope it is a pick that isn't the Eagles cause that is going to be basically a 5th rounder. They could have for sure gotten a 3rd rounder before the season started (and than some).  

Doesn't look like Philly holds any 3rd round picks aside from their own.

It does seem a little light. We gotta remember Quinn is a liability against the run, so when you look at the return Von Miller got it should be expected to be a lighter. Still woulda thought they got a 3 but I'll take a 4. 

DomRob your table is set. 

23 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Damn - a 4th rounder. I hope it is a pick that isn't the Eagles cause that is going to be basically a 5th rounder. They could have for sure gotten a 3rd rounder before the season started (and than some).  

I don't think so, I was surprised too but because of his salary and basically everyone planning for regression I think bears would have taken a 3rd for quinn instead of trading Mack for a 2.

38 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I thought they would get more too, but without knowing the market I would take a 4th. The salary cap room for next year looks good for the Bears though.

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

Hate to keep spamming the NFL thread with random hypotheticals but let's assume Patrick is ok, Whitehair comes back, and things click with Leatherwood(which would be phenomenal) would you rather go with (left to right)

A. Jones-Leatherwood-Whitehair-Jenkins-Borum 

Or 

B. Jones-Whitehair-Patrick-Jenkins-Leatherwood

Patrick is going to the IL.

9 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I thought they would get more too, but without knowing the market I would take a 4th. The salary cap room for next year looks good for the Bears though.

The problem is - that 4th round pick is basically a 5th rounder.  If they picked up cap space - I would have thought they might have had a chance for more or gotten another future pick. So say a 4th rounder this year and a 4th rounder the following year.  But hey - I'll take it.

I'm really watching the Rams & Montgomery.  

• Like 1

$125M in cap space for Bears next year - not that it means they should spend massively in FA - but they clearly can afford some spending. Hopefully they can also grade it to where they do some short / interim free agent moves to make team better - while at same time maintaining flexibility to start to allocated more cap space to resigning our draft picks and hopefully emerging young talent (hoping that in the future this team drafts better and starts to take more of an approach of stockpiling picks - whether via trade down / other options).  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

$125M in cap space for Bears next year - not that it means they should spend massively in FA - but they clearly can afford some spending. Hopefully they can also grade it to where they do some short / interim free agent moves to make team better - while at same time maintaining flexibility to start to allocated more cap space to resigning our draft picks and hopefully emerging young talent (hoping that in the future this team drafts better and starts to take more of an approach of stockpiling picks - whether via trade down / other options).  

It really does suck that this is just suchhhhh a weak free agent class. Like, there's literally not one player that make me think "The Bears can't be outbid for him."  Assuming Orlando Brown doesn't hit the market. 

T.J. Edwards is a really good LB and I'd love to pair him with Roquan, but do they really wanna invest THAT much money on those 2? 

Jamel Dean is a stud CB, but I feel like Gordon might be better suited to play outside with Johnson, Dean is also more suited for the outside. 

Marcus Davenport is a good DE but he can't stay healthy. Do you go after an older guy like Clowney? 

Unless you trade BoJax, you're not looking at any safeties 

You know who my #1 target is?? Freaking Da'Ron Payne. Really good player IMO but not someone who should be my #1 target.

There are a handful of good RT options on the market but I'm not sure who is who because who really knows about RTs? Lol. Jack Conklin is a name I know, so he's probably #2 on my list.

There's no stud center on the market and I assume they're just gonna go with Whitehair and Jenkins at guard.

They're set at RB and QB. The WR market blows. Dalton Shultz and Mike Gesicki have taken pretty big steps back from the TE position. I think Kmet and Gesicki are both in the same boat where they're being asked to block more than anything. I'd kinda hate to do it, because I still really wanna believe in Kmet,  but gimme Gesicki.

It's gonna be really interesting to see how the spend the money. 

Give me Payne, Conklin, and Gesicki on multi year deals then just patch work some 1 year deals together and hope for the following years class to be better. 

• knightni changed the title to 2022-23 NFL Season thread
  • bmags locked this topic