2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

2 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Roquan next? Or will he be getting the franchise tag in the offseason?

To me, it depends on what they can get. If they can get a 2R+ sure, if not I think you keep him. I'd prefer they hang on to him long term but if you can get a 2nd and then spend the money on a replacement in the offseason that might be ideal. 

9 hours ago, bmags said:

I think you buy the trenches, and am a bit more confident now that Mike Evan’s will be available this offseason.

I agree. What do we think about Clowney? 

Clowney-Payne-Jones-Robinson/Gipson could be a pretty good line. 

2 hours ago, bmags said:

I have my eyes on Chubb. 

After some quick research,  I'm game for Chubb too. The fact that he's only played in a 3-4 kinda scared me off, but coming in to the league he was viewed as better suited for a 4-3. 

On 10/27/2022 at 7:35 AM, bmags said:

I think you buy the trenches, and am a bit more confident now that Mike Evan’s will be available this offseason.

I love Mike Evans, but he'll be 30 next year and on his last year of his deal.  Due to how his deal was structured, cutting or trading him also only frees up $2M in cap space for the Bucs, but results in $20M in dead money.

Due to his age and the fact that you'd only have him guaranteed for 1 year, I'd give up a 7th rounder at most.  But from the Bucs' perspective, why would you trade Evans for such little return if you also are only freeing $2M in cap space?  Unfortunately doesn't feel like a match.  The Bucs could probably get more from a team who's a Super Bowl contender and wants to add a big time WR.

Edited by dasox24

4 hours ago, dasox24 said:

I love Mike Evans, but he'll be 30 next year and on his last year of his deal.  Due to how his deal was structured, cutting or trading him also only frees up $2M in cap space for the Bucs, but results in $20M in dead money.

Due to his age and the fact that you'd only have him guaranteed for 1 year, I'd give up a 7th rounder at most.  But from the Bucs' perspective, why would you trade Evans for such little return if you also are only freeing $2M in cap space?  Unfortunately doesn't feel like a match.  The Bucs could probably get more from a team who's a Super Bowl contender and wants to add a big time WR.

I uh, would give more than a 7th, so that's why the bucs would trade with the bears.

You get a receiver for cheap next year, when there are 0 wide receivers available in FA, can front load an extension before Fields is needed to be paid. OR you get a comp pick the next year to ease the pain.

But there is no help in free agency next year. The receivers int he first round are all relatively small, and this team desperately needs a big bodied guy that isn't just a possession receiver.

7 hours ago, bmags said:

I uh, would give more than a 7th, so that's why the bucs would trade with the bears.

You get a receiver for cheap next year, when there are 0 wide receivers available in FA, can front load an extension before Fields is needed to be paid. OR you get a comp pick the next year to ease the pain.

But there is no help in free agency next year. The receivers int he first round are all relatively small, and this team desperately needs a big bodied guy that isn't just a possession receiver.

I like this idea a lot. 

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Looked like it was gonna stay somewhat close until Monty fumbled, then everything stalled out 

I’ll take this game. Now we can see fields as the entire offense hurt by poor talent, vs games like v Houston where he was hidden.

Man, that draft class now looking rough.

Zach Wilson had two games straight under 110 passing yards, but didn’t hear about the national embarrassment that the jets passing game is. Funny that.

Something like this was to be expected, and I too am "Happy" with the outcome. Like I've said, Fields may not top 225 yards in a game for the season and I think thats OK. Surrounding him with more talent should really help him take that next step Ala Josh Allen getting Diggs.....Getting a guy the caliber of Diggs might be the issue though. He definitely needs someone though. 

Vildor got abused and that's another position that needs to be seriously upgraded. The question is, is Gordon better suited inside or out? 

On the plus side, 3 straight games with 200 yards of rushing. That's pretty impressive.  It's coming at the sacrifice of a passing game, but once they add the pieces, the passing game will come around. 

4 hours ago, bmags said:

I’ll take this game. Now we can see fields as the entire offense hurt by poor talent, vs games like v Houston where he was hidden.

Man, that draft class now looking rough.

Zach Wilson had two games straight under 110 passing yards, but didn’t hear about the national embarrassment that the jets passing game is. Funny that.

Yeah - the defense stunk but Fields made a lot of good throws and the offense looked decent as a hole. Fields had 35 yards on ground taken away on an awful phantom holding call too. But this felt like a game where even more yards were left out there and they did score 29. 

Talent level is weak but more and more flash from Fields. I would still like to see him get rid of hit sooner / take less hits when he drops back to pass. Love the design run plays though. 

I know it's a team sport and all that, but I'm starting to wonder who makes who better in a QB/WR duo. Rodgers looks pedestrian with the weapons he has and he's supposed to be a top 10 QB of all time.  Then there are guys like Allen, Hurts, Tua, and even Geno Smith, who have become studs with real weapons around them.

I'm still super nervous about WR and the potential to improve it in the offseason. The last few offseasons have found a disgruntled WR to snag, but this last offseason so many of that group were locked up (hence me moving toward Evans in a screwed cap).

You have maybe Calvin Ridley forcing a trade but if I'm the Falcons I would instead hope to draft a QB and go into his rookie year with Pitts, London and Ridley.

I would bet that Baltimore sells out for DJ Moore making it difficult on bears whose best weapon may be a high 2nd round pick in any trades.

There is a chance Deandre hopkins gets cut / traded with az's freefall

But that's what makes a trade for Elijah moore scary. If you have to send a 3rd, you really handicap yourself in a potential star moving.

In FA, gallup is the only one remotely interesting and he needs to show a lot more progress.

Ideally you don't enter the draft with only one possibility in the first round because you may be run out of it.

• knightni changed the title to 2022-23 NFL Season thread
  • bmags locked this topic