2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

Damn, I got excited when Breer's report said we were giving up the Baltimore pick, and now Rapaport says it's the Bears original pick.  I tend to think Rapaport is correct, but hoping he's somehow wrong.

Our original pick will likely be about 10-12 spots higher than the Ravens.

Edited by dasox24
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dasox24 said:

Damn, I got excited when Breer's report said we were giving up the Baltimore pick, and now Rapaport says it's the Bears original pick.  I tend to think Rapaport is correct, but hoping he's somehow wrong.

Our original pick will likely be about 10-12 spots higher than the Ravens.

It's definitely more than I'd want to give up for Claypool. Esp with a top 5 potential 2nd rounder, you are talking about a pick that's like 20 back from ones that landed AJ Brown and other legit 1s.

Just now, chw42 said:

This feels like an overpay to fix the trash Velus Jones pick.

This is ridiculous. To the extent people lose their minds about Velus, it's because the bears had to go into another draft with no first round or fourth round pick. They had the fewest players on contract at the end of the season in the league.

He's a third round pick, it is true, they do not work out sometimes. 

How is Jalen Tolbert doing? Is that a more acceptable failure to everyone? David Bell leads 3rd round receivers with 9. Tolbert has 3.

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Help me out here, but is there not Claypool receiving talent available in most 2nd rounds, especially high 2nd round where the bears are heading? 

There could be. I'd take the receiver with 2 800+ yard seasons to get Fields immediate help than wait and hope you 1) pick that kind of talent and 2) wait to see how long he can meaningfully contribute. Wish it was the Ravens 2nd though

Just now, YoYoIsMyHero said:

There could be. I'd take the receiver with 2 800+ yard seasons to get Fields immediate help than wait and hope you 1) pick that kind of talent and 2) wait to see how long he can meaningfully contribute. Wish it was the Ravens 2nd though

This thought process makes me very concerned with what kind of faith Poles has in scouting and identifying draft talent. 

21 minutes ago, bmags said:

It's definitely more than I'd want to give up for Claypool. Esp with a top 5 potential 2nd rounder, you are talking about a pick that's like 20 back from ones that landed AJ Brown and other legit 1s.

I know the Bears have traded away guys so they may lose more and they have a number of challenging opponents left, but it's worth noting right now that the Bears would be drafting 12th if the season ended today. There's some actual distance between the Bears and a top 5 pick in that round.

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

This thought process makes me very concerned with what kind of faith Poles has in scouting and identifying draft talent. 

You're looking way too far into that. He wanted to get Fields help now (which is what everyone has been bitching about since he took over)

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

This is ridiculous. To the extent people lose their minds about Velus, it's because the bears had to go into another draft with no first round or fourth round pick. They had the fewest players on contract at the end of the season in the league.

He's a third round pick, it is true, they do not work out sometimes. 

How is Jalen Tolbert doing? Is that a more acceptable failure to everyone? David Bell leads 3rd round receivers with 9. Tolbert has 3.

Yes Tolbert would have been a more acceptable failure. 

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I know the Bears have traded away guys so they may lose more and they have a number of challenging opponents left, but it's worth noting right now that the Bears would be drafting 12th if the season ended today. There's some actual distance between the Bears and a top 5 pick in that round.

Absolutely true. This may continue to be one of the bigger feast and famine record distributions we've seen.

But given the rest of the schedule for the bears, the question will become whether the lions can outscore our depleted defense or vice versa. 

If we are closer to 4 wins, likely top 5. If we are at 5 wins, very likely we are much later in the round than we'd expect in previous years.

52 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Ehhhhh, I'd rather they do something now and see what they have in him for 9 days. Dude has flashed clear #1 potential, if he proves to be that and Mooney shows to be a #2 then you may not even have to invest super early on a WR. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

And the extra LB that was in the deal.

Pretty sure that dude stinks, but it's a body. 

The biggest thing this season was figuring out if Fields is "the guy" or not. Last two weeks have done a lot of inspire some confidence but I still stand by the idea that they've given him so little to work with, it's really hard to judge. Adding Claypool for the 2nd half should really help. They have him for next year too, if it's a disaster you let him walk (which would make it a terrible trade for Poles) but he should show enough to sign him for the next 4-5 years, which isn't a bad investment to make in a 24 year old WR 

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

Ehhhhh, I'd rather they do something now and see what they have in him for 9 days. Dude has flashed clear #1 potential, if he proves to be that and Mooney shows to be a #2 then you may not even have to invest super early on a WR. 

I am all about building through the draft but I agree with this 100%.  I'd rather they use the pick to get something that is more of a sure thing at this position.  It appears the Bears have their QB now it is time to get him weapons, not projects or hope that the pick becomes something.  

2 minutes ago, Chi Town Sox said:

I am all about building through the draft but I agree with this 100%.  I'd rather they use the pick to get something that is more of a sure thing at this position.  It appears the Bears have their QB now it is time to get him weapons, not projects or hope that the pick becomes something.  

I think acquiring Claypool was for the Bears to be sure of that. Which I agree with. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tony said:

I think acquiring Claypool was for the Bears to be sure of that. Which I agree with. 

It seems like dozens of times already that Fields has put the ball in a place for the receiver to make a huge play.  His numbers could be so much better, You'd have to think Claypool can bring many of those down especially with his size.  

• knightni changed the title to 2022-23 NFL Season thread
  • bmags locked this topic