2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

Like your guys optimism, but this is going to be one of the worst teams in the NFL this year. They are totally cutting bait to see what cheap pieces they can keep for next year and hopefully go all in with a deep draft/FA pickups.

33 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Like your guys optimism, but this is going to be one of the worst teams in the NFL this year. They are totally cutting bait to see what cheap pieces they can keep for next year and hopefully go all in with a deep draft/FA pickups.

If I had to bet, theyre gonna be bad, but there is an outside chance they can be "Good" if they have a strong draft and add a few more pieces via FA. 

I think if they add Brown or Fisher and one of the many free agent corners theyre gonna be solid....first 3 picks if the draft falls right you get your explosive 3T,  a guard, and I suppose a WR(lol). 

Assuming healthy of course,  which isn't something that should be assumed. Depth is probably gonna be an issue. 

Edited by scs787

Still a pretty solid group of free agents left and the Bears still have a good chunk of money to throw out there. 

OL: Tretter, Williams, Fisher, Brown, Reiff, Shell, Flowers, Turner, Crosby, Quessenberry, Paradis
WR: Beckham, Jones, Landry, Fuller, Beasley, Hilton, Sanders, Snead, Cole, Humphries, Sharpe
CB: Harris, Fuller, Callahan, Rhodes, Sherman, Haden, Deisr, Bouye, Trufant, Alford, Carrie
S: Mathieu, Collins, McCourty, Edmunds, Kazee, Tartt, Gipson
DL: Richardson, Hicks, Ogunjobi, Lotulelei, Joseph
LB: Johnson, Van Noy, Barr, Collins, Hightower, Wright, Hitchens, Smith, Kwiatkoski 

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

Greg Gabriel said league believes bears go big bodies early not skill

Honestly? I'm OK with that. 

I'm gonna be alone on this for the most part, but I really think Mooney can make a jump into true #1 territory and I truly believe Pringle can be a good #2. I also think we see Kmet and Monty used a lot more in the passing game. 

Mooneys best ability is getting down the field and creating separation. He actually ranked 6th in the league in separation.  With an improved offensive line, he's gonna be able to work more down field and really utilize his speed. 

Like I said before, I'd be totally OK with them waiting till day 3 to pick a WR. I really hope they pick up Brown or Fisher, but if they don't, I'd be fine going OT-DT-OG with the first 3 picks. 

A rookie LT, not drafted in the 1st round, scares the dickens out of me, but I suppose it is what it is. 

On 4/16/2022 at 10:08 PM, bmags said:

mock draft using dane brugler grades (hence the terrible grades on Jurgens)

image.png

I realllly want a DT at some point if possible. 

PFF updated their big board and there's some drastic changes. I think Logan Hall is a stud and a potential 1st rounder...they have him ranked 73rd, which makes my mocks taking him at 39 a little silly, but I'm gonna stand by it.....

Here's someone who agrees with me on that and a guy who likes Danny Gray whom I really like as well IF they go with 2 WRs in the draft. Gray CA come in and be a returner then develop into a weapon later on...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-draft-2022-superlatives-prospect-wholl-instantly-live-up-to-the-hype-qb-wholl-go-too-early-and-more/amp/

7 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I realllly want a DT at some point if possible. 

PFF updated their big board and there's some drastic changes. I think Logan Hall is a stud and a potential 1st rounder...they have him ranked 73rd, which makes my mocks taking him at 39 a little silly, but I'm gonna stand by it.....

Here's someone who agrees with me on that and a guy who likes Danny Gray whom I really like as well IF they go with 2 WRs in the draft. Gray CA come in and be a returner then develop into a weapon later on...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-draft-2022-superlatives-prospect-wholl-instantly-live-up-to-the-hype-qb-wholl-go-too-early-and-more/amp/

My recent ones (I really, really like PFF mock draft) have a lot of perrion winfrey.

Interesting that there's been some buzz on Linderbaum dropping. Seems like a no brainer to take him and push lucas patrick out to G if that happens. 

38 minutes ago, bmags said:

My recent ones (I really, really like PFF mock draft) have a lot of perrion winfrey.

Interesting that there's been some buzz on Linderbaum dropping. Seems like a no brainer to take him and push lucas patrick out to G if that happens. 

Linderbaum would  be a reallllly nice get..... I've had Raimann fall to me a few times in the new PFF update and while I would realllly prefer a vet LT, his potential may be too much to pass on. 

Bears signed WR David Moore. Mildly interesting dude who, excluding last year, had 13 TDs in over a 3 year stretch with Seattle. 6 of those came in 2020 on a team with DK and Lockett. I'm not gonna go full Byron Pringle on you guys and say this guy is gonna be good when he's not behind 2 studs, but it looks to be a solid depth move and a guy you feel really comfortable calling a 4 or a 5. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Would you guys trade a 5th round pick for Robby Anderson? Obviously a lot of quality WRs in the draft, but getting a legit starter for a 5th allows the bears to address their other needs early. 

I probably would, but I don't think Poles would.  He seems intent on going young/building via draft, which I can't really argue with, even if I would have liked to see him add a few more veterans to surround Fields with better talent.  Also, I'd have rather traded a 5th rounder for Amari Cooper, but that's a different discussion that's already been had.

From what I can tell on OTC, we'd only be on the hook for $12M next year (last year of Anderson's deal).  Not bad considering the contracts given to WRs this offseason, and the amount of cap space we'll have next year.

4 hours ago, scs787 said:

Would you guys trade a 5th round pick for Robby Anderson? Obviously a lot of quality WRs in the draft, but getting a legit starter for a 5th allows the bears to address their other needs early. 

He was really great 2 years ago, I don't know though. Maybe a pick next year. It's just he's 28 and already paid on a second year deal. 

Looked through 2018, 2019, 2020 drafts. The bears playing catch-up constantly was just brutal. The second rounder traded for Anthony Miller would have put them in a round where DK Metcalf, AJ Brown, Terry McLaurin, Deebo Samuel were all taken. But they had no third rounder, traded for Trubisky in 2017. Just constant playing catch-up and not allowing them to play the board.

While it may be tempting to go after a Metcalf, really feels like they just have to re-set with picks. I don't remember where they are at but seems like next year they have real chance to start at 8 picks. If they can, I'd drop the later 2nd to round 3 and pick up an extra fourth.

Anywhoo. The 2020 I have to say Pace looks to have done decent in. Maybe better off if they doubled up at CB (was my preferance going in). 

After looking at a few years, definitely not a fan of round 2 tackles unless it's dallas drafting them.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Looked through 2018, 2019, 2020 drafts. The bears playing catch-up constantly was just brutal. The second rounder traded for Anthony Miller would have put them in a round where DK Metcalf, AJ Brown, Terry McLaurin, Deebo Samuel were all taken. But they had no third rounder, traded for Trubisky in 2017. Just constant playing catch-up and not allowing them to play the board.

While it may be tempting to go after a Metcalf, really feels like they just have to re-set with picks. I don't remember where they are at but seems like next year they have real chance to start at 8 picks. If they can, I'd drop the later 2nd to round 3 and pick up an extra fourth.

Anywhoo. The 2020 I have to say Pace looks to have done decent in. Maybe better off if they doubled up at CB (was my preferance going in). 

After looking at a few years, definitely not a fan of round 2 tackles unless it's dallas drafting them.

Yep - I said it so many times - I never can fault using picks on a QB or pushing an elite team over the top - but Pace's consistent use of assets was very poor (outside of Fields and quite frankly even Trubisky - I can't fault if he thought that was hi franchise guy and wanted to give up a 3rd rounder or whatevver it was to guarantee he got them fine...he missed but that is a position where if you hit you change the entire course of your franchise).

Wideout, tackle, any of the others don't make sense.  

Hub floated a rumor that there could be a contender on back-end that might try to get Bears to flip Roquan for a late FRP.  Not sure if any smoke there. I also wonder if they wanted to move up - could they package Quinn and a 2RP to get into the back-end of the first round.  Will be interesting - some reports that a player or two on the Bears may be headed elsewhere (but not from anyone overly reputable).  

Usually I would scoff at trading a young 25 year old linebacker in his prime when you are rebuilding (even if Poles doesn't want to call it that) but if some team offers you 2 1st round picks + additional picks? Bye Roquan and I hope you get paid too.

17 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Usually I would scoff at trading a young 25 year old linebacker in his prime when you are rebuilding (even if Poles doesn't want to call it that) but if some team offers you 2 1st round picks + additional picks? Bye Roquan and I hope you get paid too.

I can't in a million years see that coming in.  But I'm in the camp that I don't know what I'd do if you got a FRP for him, knowing he's about to get paid and you can always use the money in FA in a future year and having another pick clearly helps with the rebuild. That said - Roquan is really good so to your point I might need more (maybe its a future pick that makes it really interesting - say a future FRP or a future 2nd and 3rd..I don't know).  

I wonder if they acquire DK Metcalf with a 2nd rounder - given the run on wideouts.  Going to be interesting.  That said - Poles seems to be the individual who will just stick to his board and just ignore it - the problem is at some point you have to give Fields something.  

Sign Jarvis Landry and one of the FA tackles (not long term); Draft a wideout early; draft some dline/DB and interior lineman. Gives Fields a much better array of options. Not saying Landry is that good - but you can probably get him short-term and combine him with Mooney, Pringle and a 2nd rounder and I like that much better than what they have tonight.  

10 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I can't in a million years see that coming in.  But I'm in the camp that I don't know what I'd do if you got a FRP for him, knowing he's about to get paid and you can always use the money in FA in a future year and having another pick clearly helps with the rebuild. That said - Roquan is really good so to your point I might need more (maybe its a future pick that makes it really interesting - say a future FRP or a future 2nd and 3rd..I don't know).  

I think Hub is stupid here. Those teams all already in the management phase of keeping a lot of core players paid. The Bears are not. 

The teams trading for top WRs and paying them all have QBs on rookie deals. The teams trading them don’t. He’s just misapplying what’s happening.

5 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Sign Jarvis Landry and one of the FA tackles (not long term); Draft a wideout early; draft some dline/DB and interior lineman. Gives Fields a much better array of options. Not saying Landry is that good - but you can probably get him short-term and combine him with Mooney, Pringle and a 2nd rounder and I like that much better than what they have tonight.  

I don't think you have to do both honestly.  That may just be me being high on Pringle, but I don't think you need to add 2 starting WRs. 

Mooney is gonna eat up a ton of targets, I think the RBs and TEs get a lot of targets as well. Going 4 deep on higher end WRs isn't necessary IMO. 

I think they go Logan Hall at 39 and OG with their 2 2nd round picks. 

Seattle going LT is a good sign that Brown is gone, go get him. 

As much as I wouldn't be a fan of it, I think the possibility exists they draft a corner just because the need and value is there. 

One name that never gets talked about, probably because he's listed as an edge, that kinda intrigues me as a 3T is Josh Pashsal. He's a little undersized weight wise, but I love what I've read about him. He's got longggg arms and great burst....He's been an after thought and perhaps still should be, but color me intrigued. Not sure I'm willing to take him at 39, but as a trade back or with their 2nd pick if they don't go 3T at 39, I'm listening. 

• Kyyle23 changed the title to 2022 NFL Season thread
  • knightni changed the title to 2022-23 NFL Season thread
  • bmags locked this topic