Jump to content

2022 NFL Season thread


Recommended Posts

A total head scratcher from me.  I have to read more but I don't like where they are spending the money (not necessarily knocking the player).  I also was less excited after I saw some good oline options sign pretty quickly.  That said - if I frame it another way - this is kind of them replacing Goldman with someone they find as a much better fit in a key role for the defense.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

A total head scratcher from me.  I have to read more but I don't like where they are spending the money (not necessarily knocking the player).  I also was less excited after I saw some good oline options sign pretty quickly.  That said - if I frame it another way - this is kind of them replacing Goldman with someone they find as a much better fit in a key role for the defense.  

This is kind of where I'm at.  The 3T is a key part of Eberflus' defense (just it it was for Lovie's, so as Bears fans we all know how important it is).  I understand the Bears wanting to upgrade there.  But this offseason needs to be about putting Fields in the best position to succeed.  I guess I'll reserve judgement until we see Ogunjobi's cap hit is for this year, but if it takes a large chunk of our current cap space and prevents us from adding better players in free agency at WR/OL, that's a problem.  Obviously we could clear more space by restructuring deals/adding void years/etc, but I'd like to avoid that as much as possible - it's never an ideal way to make cap room, especially for a team who isn't ready to compete for championships.  We need to be as cap healthy as possible heading into a competitive window, hopefully starting in 2023.

Ogunjobi had a really good year last year and we'll have him for prime years (27 to 30), so I am definitely not knocking the player either.  But I am knocking the allocation of resources being spent on the defense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, dasox24 said:

This is kind of where I'm at.  The 3T is a key part of Eberflus' defense (just it it was for Lovie's, so as Bears fans we all know how important it is).  I understand the Bears wanting to upgrade there.  But this offseason needs to be about putting Fields in the best position to succeed.  I guess I'll reserve judgement until we see Ogunjobi's cap hit is for this year, but if it takes a large chunk of our current cap space and prevents us from adding better players in free agency at WR/OL, that's a problem.  Obviously we could clear more space by restructuring deals/adding void years/etc, but I'd like to avoid that as much as possible - it's never an ideal way to make cap room, especially for a team who isn't ready to compete for championships.  We need to be as cap healthy as possible heading into a competitive window, hopefully starting in 2023.

Ogunjobi had a really good year last year and we'll have him for prime years (27 to 30), so I am definitely not knocking the player either.  But I am knocking the allocation of resources being spent on the defense.

Yeah - I have started to come around on this. Reality was if they didn't address in FA, they would have to address in draft and relatively early so this frees up resources to better target best available within draft.  And 3 years is nice, not too long, and therefor doesn't do a lot for long-term flexibility. Would like if they structured this to be creative and take biggest burden a year from now when they have MASSIVE cap space so that they can be more opportunistic this year and in '24 (knowing they will have more than enough in '23 regardless).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Yeah - I have started to come around on this. Reality was if they didn't address in FA, they would have to address in draft and relatively early so this frees up resources to better target best available within draft.  And 3 years is nice, not too long, and therefor doesn't do a lot for long-term flexibility. Would like if they structured this to be creative and take biggest burden a year from now when they have MASSIVE cap space so that they can be more opportunistic this year and in '24 (knowing they will have more than enough in '23 regardless).  

Totally fair way to look at it.  I'm not mad about the signing - just questioning the use of funds for a team that desperately needs all the offensive help it can get.  He's a good player, and we admittedly needed a 3T for this defense.  Getting a disruptive one makes the rest of the defense better.  Just not sure I would have shopped at the top of the Tier 1 market for it.  With all that said, I shouldn't be surprised.  We hired a defensive minded HC - he's going to want a top player at a key position in his defense.

And we both agree on the cap standpoint - if much of the deal is pushed to 2023, I'll be happy.  I want room to operate this offseason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, dasox24 said:

Totally fair way to look at it.  I'm not mad about the signing - just questioning the use of funds for a team that desperately needs all the offensive help it can get.  He's a good player, and we admittedly needed a 3T for this defense.  Getting a disruptive one makes the rest of the defense better.  Just not sure I would have shopped at the top of the Tier 1 market for it.  With all that said, I shouldn't be surprised.  We hired a defensive minded HC - he's going to want a top player at a key position in his defense.

And we both agree on the cap standpoint - if much of the deal is pushed to 2023, I'll be happy.  I want room to operate this offseason.

Yeah - I was bummed when I saw a bunch of guards / Rams tackle sign right before free agency.  I thought Bears were going to be able to make some big splashes there.  I also wanted Cooper (cause I figured a 6th rounder would have been worth it to lock him in on a very LT flexible/cap friendly deal that keeps you out of the bidding wars of FA).  I don't think Cooper is worth his contract (from a pure $ perspective) but relative to what you'd pay in free agency and given fact I would prioritize this whole off-season around Fields...it would have just made everything else easier.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Yeah - I was bummed when I saw a bunch of guards / Rams tackle sign right before free agency.  I thought Bears were going to be able to make some big splashes there.  I also wanted Cooper (cause I figured a 6th rounder would have been worth it to lock him in on a very LT flexible/cap friendly deal that keeps you out of the bidding wars of FA).  I don't think Cooper is worth his contract (from a pure $ perspective) but relative to what you'd pay in free agency and given fact I would prioritize this whole off-season around Fields...it would have just made everything else easier.  

I felt the same about Cooper.  He was worth it for a 5th round pick.  And if Christian Kirk is truly getting $17M per year (as I just saw rumored), it only re-emphasizes your point about Cooper's deal actually being solid compared to what you have to dish out in free agency.  Cooper is a far better player, and worth the extra $3M per year.

And if the Browns need to get out of Cooper contract after this year, it's easy.  There is zero dead money.

Edited by dasox24
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

 

4th highest paid wideout in the league I believe. Crazy money. Sounds like Robinson might be headed to Chiefs on a 3yr deal.  I liked Kirk a lot - but not $18M a year good.  That said - they need a wideout. Landry to me (if you can get him for less guarantee / less years) isn't such a bad play.  Curious to see what Bears do here.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Jesus the Jaguars are signing damn near everybody. 

Its what the Jaguars do. They have the cap space though and I can't argue with how they have focused things around building around their young QB.  Kirk was too much money but given where they were, I don't know what else I would have done (other than acquire Cooper...i mean who didn't see this coming).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Golladay was awful with Giants last year (injured), but if Giants structured it right, I would have interest in acquiring him if I were Bears (and i presume Giants have good reasons to move away now).  He's from Chicago.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

So are Juju, Valdez, Landry and Arob the main wideouts still out there at this point? Am I missing anyone? Is Armstead the main olineman out there (some rumors bears are in on him)? 

Chark

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Kyyle23 changed the title to 2022 NFL Season thread

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...