Predict a Settlement Date

Texsox

15 minutes ago, Marqhead said:

Can you elaborate a little? Why did this suddenly become so critical at this juncture?

The owners were/are willing to lose games because they’ll make it all up and then some with expanded playoffs. The players know that. MLBPA has made it clear to the owners that they won’t approve expanded playoffs unless they play a full schedule. It’s a smart piece of negotiating by the players. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Before next Monday 2/28. The threat of no expanded playoffs is a game changer for the players. The owners have to have that. 

Jimmy, if so what would that mean for spring training. 2 weeks of training and 2 weeks of games?  They said tonight the the first week of games from 2/28-3/5 are already cancelled. 

11 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The owners were/are willing to lose games because they’ll make it all up and then some with expanded playoffs. The players know that. MLBPA has made it clear to the owners that they won’t approve expanded playoffs unless they play a full schedule. It’s a smart piece of negotiating by the players. 

Isn't that short sighted on the Owner's part though? Giving up millions this season vs. billions in all the future season combined? It makes sense but I guess it's just not clear to me why it's a great bargaining chip outside of this current season. 

Edited by Marqhead

There's way too much to lose on both sides.  It's nice to see they're taking it more seriously by meeting everyday, but when you hear how far apart they are on key issues it's frustrating.  Someone will have to give in big, and maybe they'll each take hits on a couple issues.  I feel that the final agreement will be closer to what MLB is offering now.  I don't see them meeting in the middle.

Regardless, they know it's urgent, and they know the risk of fans' frustration and possible loss of interest.

March 15th - I suspect we will see a 150 game season (this year) but players will be paid for 162 games but with expanded playoffs.  March 15th agreement - means spring training kicks off about March 22nd-31st (as I figure you need at least 7-14 days for the rest of the off-season to finish and everyone to get reported etc).  

• Like 1