War in Ukraine

caulfield12

On 2/25/2022 at 2:38 PM, pcq said:

Lauren Witzke, the Delaware GOP's candidate for Senate in 2020, has nothing but praise for Putin and "his Christian nationalist nation": "I identify more with Putin's Christian values than I do with Joe Biden."

Far right, anti-vaxxer, got COVID last year (duh).  Stuff's prolly still ravaging her brain.

My path to understanding people and places is through the literature that is produced. I'll admit that I knew almost nothing about Ukraine. I still know so very little but can feel the struggle and can appreciate those common emotions that connect us all. If you are interested I think this piece is a good jumping in point. It's something I'll be using in my classes this week.

https://www.calvertjournal.com/articles/show/12137/contemporary-ukrainian-poems

10 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

NATO should not do this unless there is an attack by Russian forces on NATO forces somewhere or there is a resolution supporting military action by someone like the UN. Since Russia has a UN Security Council veto, the security council authorizing such military action is unlikely.

NATO should not join in a war against Russia directly without specific cause. NATO should not be the aggressors. If we think this is Bloody, marching to Moscow and conducting regime change there would be monstrous.

See Napoleon/Hitler's ill-fated attempts in the winter/mud.

6 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Far right, anti-vaxxer, got COVID last year (duh).  Stuff's prolly still ravaging her brain.

Here all along I believed Russia was more a combination of Orthodox and atheism/agnosticism...

Fox will have viewers that Russia was actually there in the 80's and 90's supporting Billy Graham (the father NOTHING like the son), Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell.

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Their currency is trash, their stock market is closed. The poor don't want to die, the rich folks kids have flat feet and they don't want to lose their fortunes. Hopefully it helps.

DogeCoin and Robux (for the children's videogame Roblox) are currently worth more than the ruble.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

It seems like Putin's only two options now are to back off or turn to nukes, and I worry that his ego won't allow him to back off.

Hopefully someone sane puts a bullet in his brain and ends this if nukes are ever on the table.  

Edited by whitesoxfan99
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 10:48 PM, Texsox said:

It was decommissioned over twenty years ago and most equipment removed. It's mostly symbolic.

There is still some danger associated with Chernobyl. See this article from 2021:

Although I agree it may not be as important as other sensitive sites:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/chernobyl-isnt-biggest-nuclear-risk-ukraines-active-nuclear-power-plan-rcna17697

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The thing that really worries me is if in the end Putin has no way out except to accept this move as a total failure, he may start pressing nuke buttons.

See here is the thing. he had to have game planned for this.  He had to have known that at the very least all of the financial blowback was going to happen, even if he didn't quite realize what the Ukrainian resistance would look like.  Unless he is surrounded by the Russian equivalent of Ted Cruz and Lindsey Graham, most of these things were really obvious to anyone with some field knowledge.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

See here is the thing. he had to have game planned for this.  He had to have known that at the very least all of the financial blowback was going to happen, even if he didn't quite realize what the Ukrainian resistance would look like.  Unless he is surrounded by the Russian equivalent of Ted Cruz and Lindsey Graham, most of these things were really obvious to anyone with some field knowledge.

Do we really know what the "score" is in this war so far? I feel like the portrayal of events the last few days are that the Russians have come with a lot of their military fire power but have been mostly stopped from achieving strategic goals due to the Ukraine resistance. There has been a narrative that Russia is running out of military resources and in effect are basically "loosing" so far. 

Do we know if Russia has given their best punch so far (outside of nukes)? I am assuming they havent. I would anticipate they are just going to send in waves of force and the beginning was just a small fraction to what they are capable of?  

I ask these questions to myself because I have found myself thinking maybe Ukraine can actually be the David to the Goliath and beat these F'rs but I know I we have to be realistic here. No matter the courage and will power of the Ukrainian people it will come to a certain point that its just too much, right?  

2 minutes ago, shipps said:

Do we really know what the "score" is in this war so far? I feel like the portrayal of events the last few days are that the Russians have come with a lot of their military fire power but have been mostly stopped from achieving strategic goals due to the Ukraine resistance. There has been a narrative that Russia is running out of military resources and in effect are basically "loosing" so far. 

Do we know if Russia has given their best punch so far (outside of nukes)? I am assuming they havent. I would anticipate they are just going to send in waves of force and the beginning was just a small fraction to what they are capable of?  

I ask these questions to myself because I have found myself thinking maybe Ukraine can actually be the David to the Goliath and beat these F'rs but I know I we have to be realistic here. No matter the courage and will power of the Ukrainian people it will come to a certain point that its just too much, right?  

I think they had to be trying to emulate our run to Baghdad so as to win a decisive victory, and stop there from being resistance and guerilla warfare, and it seems like the opposite has happened.  I can't imagine they half assed this knowing what the downside of not knocking out resistance immediately would be.  They knew that world opinion and sentiment would be against them, so speed was the most important part.

14 hours ago, Texsox said:

My path to understanding people and places is through the literature that is produced. I'll admit that I knew almost nothing about the Ukraine. I still know so very little but can feel the struggle and can appreciate those common emotions that connect us all. If you are interested I think this piece is a good jumping in point. It's something I'll be using in my classes this week.

https://www.calvertjournal.com/articles/show/12137/contemporary-ukrainian-poems

Just fyi "*The* Ukraine" is the way the Russians would want you to refer to it, as a region that should belong to them. The sovereign nation is just Ukraine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

The thing that really worries me is if in the end Putin has no way out except to accept this move as a total failure, he may start pressing nuke buttons.

I kind of miss having a crazy ass President like that. Scares the shit out of the citizens of his country and the world. 

4 hours ago, 3GamesToLove said:

Just fyi "*The* Ukraine" is the way the Russians would want you to refer to it, as a region that should belong to them. The sovereign nation is just Ukraine.

I actually paused as I was writing that. I was wondering if it was "the" like in The United States or "" like Canada. Thank you for clarifying.  

7 hours ago, Quin said:

Feels like the world is collectively trying to force Russia into a revolution.

Is there any other way to accomplish actually changing out Putin/KGB without nuclear warfare than their own people making the change?