War in Ukraine

caulfield12

53 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

If killing one guy is going to save your own life plus dozens of others? It's a no-brainer.

You'll be in prison or face a firing squad. Sadly in war it's ok to kill that guy but not that guy. 

• 2 weeks later...

This war continues to sadden me. I am thinking Putin will eventually grow impatient and do something incomprehensible that could lead to the end of life as we know it. Let there be peace on earth ... somehow.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/8/2022 at 6:53 PM, greg775 said:

This war continues to sadden me. I am thinking Putin will eventually grow impatient and do something incomprehensible that could lead to the end of life as we know it. Let there be peace on earth ... somehow.

He's dying of cancer, so who knows at this point.  I hate the "but then..." argument, when you're dealing with an absolute lunatic.

52 minutes ago, Big Hurtin said:

He's dying of cancer, so who knows at this point.  I hate the "but then..." argument, when you're dealing with an absolute lunatic.

It's unimaginable to think he might want to end the world if in fact he is dying. He has nothing to lose and he would forever be known as the man who ended the actual world if he implemented nukes. The world right now is so fragile at any moment Russia could decide to do something irreversible. Another country could as well and that country is not the USA. I won't mention names lest I start something and get banned. It's hard to not worry about our grid and possible food shortages and contamination of our infrastructure, etc. We can only hope for the best or pray for the best if we are religious.

Edited by greg775

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

It's unimaginable to think he might want to end the world if in fact he is dying. He has nothing to lose and he would forever be known as the man who ended the actual world. The world right now is so fragile at any moment Russia could decide to do something irreversible. Another country could as well and that country is not the USA. I won't mention names lest I start something and get banned.

Ok, this is hysterical. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Ok, this is hysterical. 

You don't think he's capable of using nuclear weapons before he dies if indeed he is ill? He is a despicable human being. I think he is capable of anything bad.

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

You don't think he's capable of using nuclear weapons before he dies if indeed he is ill? He is a despicable human being. I think he is capable of anything bad.

If he ended the world, how could he forever be known as anything?

What I think happens soon is Russia gains 100% control of some chunk of Eastern Ukraine, declares victory because that was what they really wanted the whole time. Then there are two questions:

1) Does Ukraine continue fighting once Russia stops offensives and goes into a defensive posture?

2) Will the US and allies keep the sanctions on Russia long term or wimp out.

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

It's unimaginable to think he might want to end the world if in fact he is dying. He has nothing to lose and he would forever be known as the man who ended the actual world if he implemented nukes. The world right now is so fragile at any moment Russia could decide to do something irreversible. Another country could as well and that country is not the USA. I won't mention names lest I start something and get banned. It's hard to not worry about our grid and possible food shortages and contamination of our infrastructure, etc. We can only hope for the best or pray for the best if we are religious.

Why do your posts always contain a version of this disclaimer?

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

What I think happens soon is Russia gains 100% control of some chunk of Eastern Ukraine, declares victory because that was what they really wanted the whole time. Then there are two questions:

1) Does Ukraine continue fighting once Russia stops offensives and goes into a defensive posture?

Yes, Ukraine keeps fighting and won’t just put up with Putin’s and the Russian army’s shit. Maybe on the sanctions, I hope the U.S. sanctions are long term.

3 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Fwiw, unless you mean the territory they already control, I see no reason to think the Russians have the ability to make a substantial offensive advance any time soon. They have gained very little territory since throwing additional forces against the line, Ukrainian defensive lines have held. Furthermore, Ukraine’s strength is growing as volunteers have now gained nearly 3 months of training and western weapon systems are arriving en masse.

Unless Russia goes for non-conventional weapons, the only step Russia can take is a general mobilization, where they try to substantially increase the amount of men they have to throw into the fight. On the other side, Ukraine may be able to threaten some supply lines, but whether they can possibly begin retaking territory will depend on a lot of things like the effectiveness of those western weapons and their availability. In particular, can they start knocking out Russian artillery units, or does it just bog down as a stalemate with roughly equal artillery?

3 hours ago, The Beast said:

Why do your posts always contain a version of this disclaimer?

Cause a lot of my posts end up shutting down threads as people get mad responding to me and I respond and then the thread closes. The times I have been banned pretty much appeared out of nowhere so I guess the permanent ban scares me.

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

Cause a lot of my posts end up shutting down threads as people get mad responding to me and I respond and then the thread closes. The times I have been banned pretty much appeared out of nowhere so I guess the permanent ban scares me.

For like the millionth time you have never been banned.  For like the millionth time every time you have ever been -suspended- it has been painstakingly explained to you.  It has never been out of nowhere.  

but this basically just shows beast why you keep adding that disclaimer.  Because you love to play the game that you don't quite understand why everyone is so upset when you just keep doing the same thing 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, pettie4sox said:

I know all country have their warts, but some are better at hiding more than most?  I for the life of me do not understand how people are fed this BS propaganda and lap it up.

Have you not been to the United States at any point since January 2016?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

-- Did the USA really send that 40 billion to Ukraine? I ask because to me, a non military expert, it seems painfully obvious Russia ultimately is going to win battle in Ukraine whenever it decides the war has raged long enough. We all know the Russians have the capability of winning that war in a second if they truly wish to do so. I am thinking that if u are just going to give 40 billion away .... use it here. Lots of people here could use some cash (homeless, people who can't afford fuel for their cars, etc.).

-- Why is it politically incorrect to say Ukraine is losing the war?

-- Finally why are people not talking about the potential for WWIII springing up more and trying to get Russia to settle diplomtically with Ukraine? Also China seems awfully mad at the USA's saying it would defend Taiwan. Russia hates us and their leader could toss a bomb or two our way at any time if they get irritated enough.

Edited by greg775

• 3 months later...

After months of grinding artillery exchanges, the offensive that Ukraine began last week has seemingly staged a major breakthrough and is on the verge of overrunning Russia's key supply point in Eastern Ukraine at Kupiansk. That city is a central rail junction through which a large fraction of the artillery used in Ukraine's east has flowed, and it is the only crossing point on the river to the north of thousands of Russian troops in the Izyum area - who are now on the verge of either being cut off from supplies or forced to retreat through narrow corridors under artillery bombardment. Ukraine has probably liberated more territory this week than the Russians have conquered since the beginning of July.

This has really been an impressive offensive. It followed a long period of encouraging Russian forces to move to the south where Ukraine kept saying an offensive was coming - the Ukranian army launched a series of small advances in their south, then this front exploded a couple days later as they surged through. They got the Russians to move most of their supplies and men to the Kherson region where they're now stuck as most of the bridges have been blown up, left a skeleton defense in this zone, made the Russians and everyone else think the southern offensive was starting, and then a brand new army slammed into the zone the Russians had evacuated. 

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

After months of grinding artillery exchanges, the offensive that Ukraine began last week has seemingly staged a major breakthrough and is on the verge of overrunning Russia's key supply point in Eastern Ukraine at Kupiansk. That city is a central rail junction through which a large fraction of the artillery used in Ukraine's east has flowed, and it is the only crossing point on the river to the north of thousands of Russian troops in the Izyum area - who are now on the verge of either being cut off from supplies or forced to retreat through narrow corridors under artillery bombardment. Ukraine has probably liberated more territory this week than the Russians have conquered since the beginning of July.

This has really been an impressive offensive. It followed a long period of encouraging Russian forces to move to the south where Ukraine kept saying an offensive was coming - the Ukranian army launched a series of small advances in their south, then this front exploded a couple days later as they surged through. They got the Russians to move most of their supplies and men to the Kherson region where they're now stuck as most of the bridges have been blown up, left a skeleton defense in this zone, made the Russians and everyone else think the southern offensive was starting, and then a brand new army slammed into the zone the Russians had evacuated. 

I really really really hope Russia doesn’t get so frustrated that they actually do something bad to the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear plant