War in Ukraine

caulfield12

Confirmed images of the Ukrainian flag flying in Kupiansk today, Russia was clearly unable to mobilize reserves to put up any defense of that city. Ukraine will have a bounty of supplies from there.

Unconfirmed but more common reports of Ukrainian forces in Izium, taken in the first weeks of the war thanks to a betrayal by a pro Russian official. Estimates had at least 10,000 Russian troops in this area, that would have been enough for them to hold out for weeks even if cut off if they wanted to fight. For Ukraine to be pushing into this area much of the Russian army must be throwing away their weapons and trying to flee. Lots of photos of high tech weapons being abandoned seems to support that.

If that army is trying to flee then soon Ukraine will have to pause this offensive to try to police them up. Lots of reports of Russian civilians left behind including teachers who were brought in to teach the pro Russian narratives. But with this army broken, it will be difficult for the Russians to reform any defense in the East, Ukraine will have to refill and resupply but they have an open path to reclaiming their original borders in the whole region.

What has happened this week will be taught at army war colleges for decades.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can’t believe all of the horseshit going on in the world on one hand… and in another hand it’s been expected. Hell, I’m surprised North Korea hasn’t engaged South Korea… as well as China invading Taiwan. Maybe that expectation is around the corner still with all of this pipeline s%*#, economy s%*#, nuke talk part 5 s%*#.

Is this a saying: “To stimulate an economy, start a war.”?

11 hours ago, hi8is said:

I can’t believe all of the horseshit going on in the world on one hand… and in another hand it’s been expected. Hell, I’m surprised North Korea hasn’t engaged South Korea… as well as China invading Taiwan. Maybe that expectation is around the corner still with all of this pipeline s%*#, economy s%*#, nuke talk part 5 s%*#.

Is this a saying: “To stimulate an economy, start a war.”?

How have the last 7 months gone for Russia's economy? In great shape for the Russian winter?

If there's any additional lesson here, it's that with modern weapons and external support, a weak army defending its territory against a mid-level power can be way more effective than one would have thought. China's army is probably in better shape than Russia's, but is there any corruption in China's army of the sort seen in Russia's? People who have taken money and not done their jobs? Parts that have been sold off under the table that could affect their readiness? 

• 1 month later...

The largest city in Ukraine captured by Russia, Kherson, was taken in early March. It was announced as "Forever Russia" and annexed by Russia in their fake annexation. For the last 4 months, Ukraine has been pressuring this city and the surrounding area by shelling defensive positions and hitting supply lines with rockets. Starting yesterday, the Russians pulled out from the entire surrounding region, back across the Dneipro River.

Today, Kherson is being liberated, with the city still mostly in tact and with devastating urban fighting having been avoided. 

• Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’m glad the will of the people is still there. I hope that they can remain resilient throughout the winter and that they get the aid and weapons they need. Hopefully there won’t be politics with the aid given to Ukraine in 2023. 

Today I donated to an organization that will help with repairing infrastructure and assisting with heating this winter.

12 minutes ago, knightni said:

I'm happy that she's released, but how will the release of a huge arms dealer affect the arms that Putin will have access to to fight Ukraine now?

Good question.  I'm sure this Victor Bout dude is on his way to work at a Moscow orphanage as I type. Isn't that what all convicted terrorists do when they are released from over a decade in American jail? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...