2022 Soccer Thread

UCL Final Moved

Congratulations to UEFA for having the moral rectitude to treat international pariah Russia as it should be treated. Thank you for having the balls that the neutered ioc never had.

Really, anything less than the treatment of South Africa during apartheid is an insufficient response. Here's hoping that FIFA takes the proper stand as well.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

On 2/27/2022 at 7:17 PM, whitesoxfan99 said:

FIFA cowardly is not banning Russia from competing in World Cup qualifiers so far.

Update: FIFA finally took the easy tap-in on this one. Good on them.

I hold no ill will towards the Russian people, nor their athletes, nor their soldiers. But this is what must be done, IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

How bad is it that I have to watch US soccer on Telemundo because no one ever gets whatever station the qualifying games are on.  US just missed about as easy of a goal as someone can get (on a great set-up ball).  Hope they can at least get the draw here (but boy would be it feel good to get a win!!!).  Going to be a crazy final 20+ minutes. 

Panama got the draw (which actually is good since they were playing a weak opponent) but Costa Rica currently beating Canada could tighten things up a ton.  

US had so many good chances this game. Just could not finish. Now Berhalter is playing for a draw with 10 minutes left. 

Oh and Gio Reyna probably had the best dribbling sequence I've ever seen from a US player. That was Messi-esque. This US team clearly has a lot of talent up front, but I just don't think they play well as a team. 

Edited by chw42

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

US had so many good chances this game. Just could not finish. Now Berhalter is playing for a draw with 10 minutes left. 

Oh and Gio Reyna probably had the best dribbling sequence I've ever seen from a US player. That was Messi-esque. This US team clearly has a lot of talent up front, but I just don't think they play well as a team. 

Last few minutes Mexico is getting opp after opp.  Hasn't been pretty...some sloppy defense and nice plays by Mexico.  

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Wow Vega just got a yellow for a dive. 

Right call - I was really nervous when I saw it (I thought at first call they gave them a penalty kick in extras).  Tough - cause they had that game with better finishing.  But I'll take a point on the road.  

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

Right call - I was really nervous when I saw it (I thought at first call they gave them a penalty kick in extras).  Tough - cause they had that game with better finishing.  But I'll take a point on the road.  

Win against Panama in Orlando and they'll at least get to the intercontinental playoff. 4 points from these next 2 games guarantees the US an automatic spot. 

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Win against Panama in Orlando and they'll at least get to the intercontinental playoff. 4 points from these next 2 games guarantees the US an automatic spot. 

Nerve wracking - anything can happen in any game (just look at Italy today).  

14 hours ago, chw42 said:

Beating Panama will be enough. Costa Rica isn't going to make up 7 goals differential in 2 games.

• Thanks 1

So the US is in over Costa Rica by goal differential. May not seem like a big deal since either team would be a substantial favorite over New Zealand in the playoff, but by qualifying directly the US gets into Pot 2 and a much easier way out of the group compared to Costa Rica in Pot 4 if they get in.

47 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

So the US is in over Costa Rica by goal differential. May not seem like a big deal since either team would be a substantial favorite over New Zealand in the playoff, but by qualifying directly the US gets into Pot 2 and a much easier way out of the group compared to Costa Rica in Pot 4 if they get in.

So nice being back in the World Cup!!!