2022 Soccer Thread

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

So the Reynas tried to blackmail Gregg Berhalter over not playing Gio Reyna during the World Cup and for his comments afterwards. I don't think the USMNT has ever seen this level of internal drama. 

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4844539/claudio-reyna-told-us-soccer-about-past-gregg-berhalter-domestic-violence-incident-sources

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The USA have a new striker...

Top 5 scorer in Ligue 1. At one point, he was ahead of Mbappe a few months ago. 

He's a huge upgrade over the pool we have now at ST and is only 21. This is big for 2026. 

• 5 weeks later...

USA just totally outclassed Mexico tonight.  Sad that Berhalter is coming back but maybe even he doesn’t suck enough to ruin this group (I’m hoping anyways).  Mexico was absolute trash tonight with as dirty of play as you’ll ever see.  And is there a more awful group of fans than Mexico soccer fans?  They need to start docking Mexico points in tournaments, banning Mexico fans from games and fining the Mexico soccer federation significantly if they can’t stop the chants and ridiculous behavior. 

11 hours ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

USA just totally outclassed Mexico tonight.  Sad that Berhalter is coming back but maybe even he doesn’t suck enough to ruin this group (I’m hoping anyways).  Mexico was absolute trash tonight with as dirty of play as you’ll ever see.  And is there a more awful group of fans than Mexico soccer fans?  They need to start docking Mexico points in tournaments, banning Mexico fans from games and fining the Mexico soccer federation significantly if they can’t stop the chants and ridiculous behavior. 

How long until there's talk of Mexico being removed as a 2026 co-host? US probably needs to get a few backup stadiums (stadia?) in line.

This US team is clearly the best in CONCACAF. Gio getting fit and getting a good striker in Balogun totally changes the outlook of this team offensively. We just beat Mexico and Canada 5-0 without some key players in the midfield. If this trajectory continues we'd be looking at a top 4 finish in Copa America next year.

3 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

So what's the best lineup if everybody is healthy?

I'd say:

ARobinson-Ream-Richards-Dest

Adams-McKennie-Reyna

Pulisic-Balogun-Weah

Hate leaving Musah out but who do you replace?

Musah is probably the odd man out, but in a tournament you never want to trot out the same midfield every game. We saw how much of a toll the WC groups took on the MMA midfield, especially when Berhalter's system is so heavy on pressing. I think you can definitely put Musah and McKennie on a rotation.

On 6/18/2023 at 10:38 PM, chw42 said:

This US team is clearly the best in CONCACAF. Gio getting fit and getting a good striker in Balogun totally changes the outlook of this team offensively. We just beat Mexico and Canada 5-0 without some key players in the midfield. If this trajectory continues we'd be looking at a top 4 finish in Copa America next year.

Easily the best group of talent the USA has ever had and the gap between the USA and the other teams in CONCACAF from a talent perspective is massive right now.  I'm hopeful that even though I really really dislike Berhalter, because I don't think he is a total joke as a coach (although he clearly isn't good and it is insane he is getting a second World Cup cycle when that often ends poorly) that the talent carries the day.  He also better repair the relationship with Reyna or he needs to go because Reyna when healthy is a huge difference maker. 

• 3 weeks later...

The US better have its best players healthy in 2026 because their 2nd string is weak. Took PKs to beat Canada and then lost to Panama in PKs, which honestly saved them from a beatdown by Mexico in the final.

Edited by CentralChamps21

2 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

The US better have its best players healthy in 2026 because their 2nd string is weak. Took PKs to beat Canada and then lost to Panama in PKs, which honestly saved them from a beatdown by Mexico in the final.

That wasn't even their second string.  That was a C team at best.  Mexico is using their best players (minus a couple of guys who are injured) in the Gold Cup in part because the US thoroughly destroyed them in Nations League last month.  The USA sent a bunch of guys who won't be on their Copa America squad next year or even in the World Cup picture for 2026.   Outside of the goaltenders, I'd be shocked if anyone who played on this team really factors in other than maybe one of the young players like Neal or Cowell if they really develop or Miles Robinson as a deep reserve center back. 

• Like 1