Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If the Sox sign Conforto I’m definitely moving back.  Already told the wife to start looking at houses just to be safe.  Tepera alone doesn’t force a move back to Chicago unfortunately.  I need to see that Jerry is serious and that means Conforto, Bryant, etc.

No matter who we sign she will tell you to stop blogging

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

The players are all comparable enough where I'd default back to Bryant because of positional versatility. I think being able to play LF, RF, CF (he'd be overextended here but he did play over 100 innings in CF last season), 3B, & 1B at a star caliber level gives him value that isn't reflected in WAR. In a lot of ways, he is a 2022 version of Ben Zobrist. I know this might seem like a stretch, but given how willing Bryant has been to play other positions, I think he could likely be passable at 2B if a team had to start playing him there in a pinch.

"In 2018, Doug Fearing, former Dodgers head of research and development and current head of Zelus Analytics, penned an academic piece about the value of versatility to a roster. He focused on Ben Zobrist in that paper, but his findings presaged Chris Taylor’s importance to the Dodgers. By trying to “quantify the impact of flexibility on team and individual performance and explore the player chains that arise when injuries occur,” the paper showed that “top teams can attribute at least one to two wins per season to flexibility alone, generally as a result of long subchains in the infield or outfield.”

I found this quote, from an Eno Sarris article last year, interesting and it's stuck with me ever since.

Got a link to this article? 

This seems true, but I'd like to read it before I agree wholeheartedly. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I struggle with what you trade Vaughn for though.  He’s not enough for Bryan Reynolds.  Maybe he gets you close on Ketel Marte?  What SP out there is worth Vaughn?

Maybe instead of trying to get Marte you go for Zac Gallen and Dalton Varsho. Varsho is an odd combination of OF/C but if I'm not mistaken had a very nice OAA in the OF and he does bat LH. He is 24 and Gallen is 25. Throw the kitchen sink at Az. Vaughn, Burger, Sheets, Kimbrel, Keuchel Crochet, whoever. Maybe offer the Kimbrel and Keuchel contracts and take on Bumgarner's along with Gallen and Varsho.Then u have RF and SP set and all u have to replace is some relief pitching and rotate DH among our remaining old guys like Grandal , Abreu, some Eloy. 

You trade $34M worth of Kimbrel and Keuchel in 2022 for Bumgarners $60M through 2024 with $23M for 2022 ,so saving 11M on 2022 but gaining $23M in 2023 and $14M in 2024 and maybe give up less in prospect capital , maybe add Lopez into the deal since that's a lot of SP we are taking from AZ. Keuchel, Kimbrel, Crochet, Lopez,Vaughn+ plus taking on $26M in salary for Gallen, Varsho and Bumgarner. Gallen is Arb 3 in 2025 and Varsho is Arb 4 in 2026.

Sorry I was trying to figure this all out as I was writing it. Would be a huge trade and we get decent youth with a lot of years left. Plus I was kind of sick of hearing the same old names in trades for the OF and starting pitching.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

I’m surprised there has been zero signings so far even the relief market is at a standstill 

I think , if anything, it’s for the look. Supposedly no contact, signing or making a trade an hour or so later makes it appear it was NBA type cheating going on. Plus I am sure agents are getting offers from multiple teams. Not much time for negotiation. I think most teams will give their offer, if it isn’t taken, quickly move on to plan B. They should have their plans in order.

I think Friday and Saturday will be a lot of fun.

58 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think , if anything, it’s for the look. Supposedly no contact, signing or making a trade an hour or so later makes it appear it was NBA type cheating going on. Plus I am sure agents are getting offers from multiple teams. Not much time for negotiation. I think most teams will give their offer, if it isn’t taken, quickly move on to plan B. They should have their plans in order.

I think Friday and Saturday will be a lot of fun.

I think it’s probably underrated how it’s only been like 8 hours and they didn’t know when it would happen ANd even if there was tampering there was a chance for agents that a higher CBT would bring new teams in mix.

Not surprised it wasn’t like the NFL day one. I do expect it to be active today, that’d be weird if not.

4 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Will you move back to the Chicagoland area from Nashville if this doesn’t happen?

not who you asked, but im moving back to Chicago this week (From Tampa, FL) and I am PSYCHED for white sox games. WOOT

So today should bring some moves. What does a good offseason look like?

Sign Tepera

Address 2b OR RF with a legit player/star (Conforto/Bryant/Castellanos/Story/Ketel Marte)

Address the other somehow

Get a SP (Rodon/Bassit/Manea come to mind, but some crusty vet might be 'acceptable')

Do whatever with Kimbrel.

For me: Tepera, Kris Bryant, Chad Pinder/Tony Kemp, Rodon, Sell kimbrel

IDK, as long as the white sox get one of those elite players (conforto/bryant/Castellanos/Story), it's going to be hard to have a bad offseason.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Maybe instead of trying to get Marte you go for Zac Gallen and Dalton Varsho. Varsho is an odd combination of OF/C but if I'm not mistaken had a very nice OAA in the OF and he does bat LH. He is 24 and Gallen is 25. Throw the kitchen sink at Az. Vaughn, Burger, Sheets, Kimbrel, Keuchel Crochet, whoever. Maybe offer the Kimbrel and Keuchel contracts and take on Bumgarner's along with Gallen and Varsho.Then u have RF and SP set and all u have to replace is some relief pitching and rotate DH among our remaining old guys like Grandal , Abreu, some Eloy. 

You trade $34M worth of Kimbrel and Keuchel in 2022 for Bumgarners $60M through 2024 with $23M for 2022 ,so saving 11M on 2022 but gaining $23M in 2023 and $14M in 2024 and maybe give up less in prospect capital , maybe add Lopez into the deal since that's a lot of SP we are taking from AZ. Keuchel, Kimbrel, Crochet, Lopez,Vaughn+ plus taking on $26M in salary for Gallen, Varsho and Bumgarner. Gallen is Arb 3 in 2025 and Varsho is Arb 4 in 2026.

Sorry I was trying to figure this all out as I was writing it. Would be a huge trade and we get decent youth with a lot of years left. Plus I was kind of sick of hearing the same old names in trades for the OF and starting pitching.

Varsho is perfect for WS. Can play all 3 OF positions and Catcher. Plus hits LH w/pop. But, based upon the Az blogs, he is a fan and management favorite (#2 behind Marte) and cheap, so unlikely Az would move him.  

7 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I don’t think Conforto ends up on the Sox. I think it’s going to be Castellanos.

Any reason?

I'm good with Castellanos - he's a star and fun to watch - but conforto fits the team better (LHB, better defense).

10 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Any reason?

I'm good with Castellanos - he's a star and fun to watch - but conforto fits the team better (LHB, better defense).

It’s a typical White Sox move. Going after someone who is opposite of what they probably need. His defense may be better than most people credit him for. 

Edited by maloney.adam

I'd hang onto Sheets and Vaughn and try like hell to find a trade w/NYY for Joey Gallo and his GG defense. He had a bad year in NY (still managed 38 bombs) and Yankees might be keen to move him. Yankees also have some young arms (i.e Gil) to package if we were considering moving Vaughn. Personally, I'd rather see Gallo in RF than Comforto. He has 1 yr left at $10M and if Colas makes strong progress, maybe he'll be ready in'23 but, if not, can resign Gallo. The difference in K value between Gallo and Comforto provides $$ fexibility to solve for other areas (i.e. backup Catcher, 2B, RP).

54 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

It's like when a guy goes after his buddy's ex-girlfriend.  Has to wait an appropriate amount of time so it doesn't look like he was interested in her the whole time she was with his friend.

"Nah, bro, we like just started talking a couple days after you guys split.  She just wanted to talk.  I didn't mean to fall for her, but it just happened.  You mad, bub?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Flash said:

I'd hang onto Sheets and Vaughn and try like hell to find a trade w/NYY for Joey Gallo and his GG defense. He had a bad year in NY (still managed 38 bombs) and Yankees might be keen to move him. Yankees also have some young arms (i.e Gil) to package if we were considering moving Vaughn. Personally, I'd rather see Gallo in RF than Comforto. He has 1 yr left at $10M and if Colas makes strong progress, maybe he'll be ready in'23 but, if not, can resign Gallo. The difference in K value between Gallo and Comforto provides $$ fexibility to solve for other areas (i.e. backup Catcher, 2B, RP).

While there’s a match with the White Sox, the reason the Yankees traded for Gallo was they needed left handed balance alongside Judge and Stanton. The Yankees still need that. Trading Gallo and signing Conforto does make some sense for them, but would they open the hole in Their lineup if they don’t have Conforto already signed? 

• Like 1