Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

8 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

The majority of what I do when I come to this board, especially during the offseason is scroll for tweet updates haha. Usually filter out the rest, but will from time to time respond to other comments (like this). Definitely my primary source for baseball news.

Right!?  Tweets are usually what I am scrolling for, not over.  The rest is just primarily the same 4-5 negative nancies telling us all why we should be extremely pessimistic about all things White Sox related.  

• Like 4
  • Fire 1

16 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I like the idea of one of the Cincy pitchers + Naquin.

That was my thought, but what would it take for 1 year of Naquin and 2 years of Mahle? ,,,, Vaughn?

Edited by Lillian

Just now, Lillian said:

That was my thought, but what would it take? Vaughn?

No idea. 2 years of Castillo or Mahle both of whom had nearly 4 fWAR + 1 yr of Naquin 1.4 fWAR. Sonny Gray wasn't as valuable as Castillo and Mahle and who knows if Cincy is still willing to trade their pitchers. I think they'd part with Naquin easily enough but our prospect capital is mostly unproven and everybody wants pitching which is the saddest part of the Sox system. But if you're looking for 1 team to deal with to get a SP upgrade and a LH decent fielding RF it's the Reds. Can't beat getting 2 guys from 1 team to fill our 2 biggest remaining holes.

Conforto is my top choice, but if we land Castellanos instead, I would still be very pleased.  Where would Castellanos rank defensively compared to Vaughn and Conforto? Better than Vaugh, but worse than Conforto?  Would the gap be larger between Vaughn/Castellanos or Castellanos/Conforto?

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

Conforto is my top choice, but if we land Castellanos instead, I would still be very pleased.  Where would Castellanos rank defensively compared to Vaughn and Conforto? Better than Vaugh, but worse than Conforto?  Would the gap be larger between Vaughn/Castellanos or Castellanos/Conforto?

Without looking at anything, I'm guessing this is the case.

Man Harrison deal just sucks on many levels. Not only is it settling and an underwhelming deal, but it limits the team's flexibility rounding out the roster. I would honestly rather go into the season with Leury and Romy as the 2B options than have 5.5m committed to Harrison. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

Man Harrison deal just sucks on many levels. Not only is it settling and an underwhelming deal, but it limits the team's flexibility rounding out the roster. I would honestly rather go into the season with Leury and Romy as the 2B options than have 5.5m committed to Harrison. 

Yup.  It's a massive head scratcher.

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Yes, but the question I asked right after that is what I'm really curious about.

Any OF that regularly includes 2 of Eloy, Vaughn, Sheets and Castellanos would likely be the worst in the league, even with a potential GG in CF (tho Robert was far from that in 21).  If the Sox sign Castellanos, I will be happy. But Conforto is an all around better option for team weaknesses, and he's an average RF.  Conforto will also very likely be cheaper.    

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

No idea. 2 years of Castillo or Mahle both of whom had nearly 4 fWAR + 1 yr of Naquin 1.4 fWAR. Sonny Gray wasn't as valuable as Castillo and Mahle and who knows if Cincy is still willing to trade their pitchers. I think they'd part with Naquin easily enough but our prospect capital is mostly unproven and everybody wants pitching which is the saddest part of the Sox system. But if you're looking for 1 team to deal with to get a SP upgrade and a LH decent fielding RF it's the Reds. Can't beat getting 2 guys from 1 team to fill our 2 biggest remaining holes.

5 of Cincy's top 8 prospects are pitchers, therefore they might be willing to deal one, with just 2 years of control.

Just now, raBBit said:

It is almost as if Hahn looked at his remaining budget and bought the two highest profile players he could afford hoping to appease the meatball fan.  Brutal offseason for the front office.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, raBBit said:

If you had to bet, do you think we sign a difference maker in RF?

2 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Definitely agree here.  Isn't it theoretically possible Harrison was just a bench add and we don't see the overall picture yet?  Mendick sucks and shouldn't be on an MLB roster and Romy definitely can still go to AAA.  A bench of Leury, Engel, Harrison and any catcher not named Collins is pretty good.  The Sox are paying Harrison $4m in 22, not some huge sum - they could definitely still have something larger planned there, even if it looks unlikely right now. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Any OF that regularly includes 2 of Eloy, Vaughn, Sheets and Castellanos would likely be the worst in the league, even with a potential GG in CF (tho Robert was far from that in 21).  If the Sox sign Castellanos, I will be happy. But Conforto is an all around better option for team weaknesses, and he's an average RF.  Conforto will also very likely be cheaper.    

It would be really puzzling to sign a right-handed bat for RF after settling in on a platoon that doesn't even work at 2B.

• Like 2

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

It would be really puzzling to sign a right-handed bat for RF after settling in on a platoon that doesn't even work at 2B.

You know I agree.  I don't want Castellanos at all.  But he's far far far far better than nothing or someone like Joc.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GREEDY said:

It is almost as if Hahn looked at his remaining budget and bought the two highest profile players he could afford hoping to appease the meatball fan.  Brutal offseason for the front office.

It has been brutal.  Leury was an overpay. Harrison doesn't make sense (maybe overpay?), Velasquez shouldn't have been more than a MiLB deal, both Kelly and Gravemen have injury concerns (though I'm fine with both), and we still are left with Kimbrel with not a ton of suitors it appears as of right now?  Signing Conforto and getting something useful for Kimbrel can turn this into a very good offseason though.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Definitely agree here.  Isn't it theoretically possible Harrison was just a bench add and we don't see the overall picture yet?  Mendick sucks and shouldn't be on an MLB roster and Romy definitely can still go to AAA.  A bench of Leury, Engel, Harrison and any catcher not named Collins is pretty good.  The Sox are paying Harrison $4m in 22, not some huge sum - they could definitely still have something larger planned there, even if it looks unlikely right now. 

But spending 11 million for two bench utl players?  It's absolutely a platoon.